Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Monitor, Mar 26, 2019.

1. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead One Too Many

Pandemic likes this.
  2. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman One Too Many

3. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

I was impressed with the leather on mine and everyone I saw after that. They are not thick/heavy leather, but very much in keeping with other jackets of the late 40s.

I compare with Shinki as I had Shinki jackets that looked very similar. One was a Himel Heron, a McCoy, don't recall the other. Only my shinki Goodwear remains. If I can find comparison pictures I will post them.

The Leather Tanning industry in this area produced some of the finest leather in the world. I assume Kurland could have any recipe they wanted. There was as much competition/pride in the tanning industry as there is now, probably more. Producing high end leather is not anything recent.

I have many older jackets with leather that rivals the best being produced today. Why not?

Jin431, Claybertrand and handymike like this.
  4. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

I am hoping the odd pictures and apparent wear will keep people away! I certainly don't need it, but sure would like to put my hands on it.

Claybertrand and JMax like this.
  5. mendelboaz

mendelboaz One Too Many

Monitor likes this.
  6. Wildhorses

Wildhorses One of the Regulars

I am not a big fan of the shinki HH, but it has an interesting special look. But I prefer thicker and heavier leathers, if they are still supple. The photos of the Kurland MC on the japanese site make me hesitate, no significant wear and little to no grain, a bit like flat steerhide, but it's difficult to see with just pics. I did ask photos with measurements, but I did not receive anything from them, except they ship internationally... I need pics to be sure.

7. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

The grain on mine, also a Kurland label, is excellent. I think you will be happy. But it’s your call obviously.

8. Wildhorses

I will see. Here's the link to their site, as I did not mention it. They are not cheap, and with import taxes that becomes high. https://www.secondtimeglory.com/categories/2291041

Mandarin likes this.
  9. Wildhorses

JMax likes this.
  10. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

That Kurland is FANTASTIC!!!!!
    How come no one does this as a modern jacket with a 24in back ?!?

Anyone know what it says under "Star Sportswear?
    Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 3.32.37 PM.png

Jin431 likes this.
  11. Wildhorses

Yes, under Star Sportswear it's written : manufacturing company lynn, massachussetts GENUINE HORSEHIDE. There is a pic on page 514. At this moment it was already better to add Genuine FQHH.
    The jacket for sale interests me, but effectively it's only 22,5 at back ; and I did not receive measurement photos for the moment. At this price, that's not a deal, only a find.

handymike likes this.
  12. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

13. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead One Too Many

but it's rare :cool:

There's a Cafecto on Ebay right now that's priced helluva right. Black though, but pretty much same cut as this. Size medium, should fit you. Maybe a tad big.

14. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

Mike, a 38 in this jacket might be too small for you. I have a 40 which is just about perfect in size for me and we are similar size. It must be that quilted lining that makes the 40 fit me well.

Jin431 likes this.
  15. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I had a 40, and while the chest felt fine the shoulders were too wide. The jacket just felt a little too large.

9186C439-8267-4AE5-8C1D-0086E56030A1.jpeg

16. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

^^
    Yeah, this may be a jacket-to-jacket variation, not every 40 will be the same. I remember your 40 being for sale. I hope you find your 38 and it fits!

handymike likes this.
  17. Moontanning

Moontanning One of the Regulars

marker2037, Schambach and Will Zach like this.
  18. Moontanning

marker2037 likes this.
  19. Moontanning

20. Claybertrand

Claybertrand Practically Family

Annnnnnnnnd here's your obligatory "I THINK THE FIT LOOKS GREAT" post.

Uhhhhh........:confused:.....Yeah so..... I think the fit looks great bro.;)

Obviously true fit is in the shoulders of the bewearer though...... It may not have felt right but it looks like a nice fit to me from the outside lookin in. And I will second that the fit on these is a bit finicky..... its almost as if you can only get 3 outta 4 measurements that work....... Just the same, I like these CRs and have a couple. My more modern one has a more true fit than my vintage one. I say keep hunting this model man but tread with a little caution and care on the measurements to ensure you get what you need.