Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Monitor, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Surprised no one snagged this yet. Could this possibly be a Cal cafe racer? I've never seen one without the fancy 6 panel back.

@JMax @TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead can you guys pls chime in if this one is a Cal or not, might be a good punt if it is lol

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  2. Coriu

Coriu Practically Family

...insultingly low...could not agree more. I believe I posted this jacket as well. Blows my mind if there are people passing on it. I sometimes wonder if people believe such a low-priced jacket must not be worthy. I have seen several other very low-priced, "non marquis name" jackets passed over. Why spend $1500 to look cool when you could do so for 95% less?

Jin431 and handymike like this.
  3. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

95% of people out there would look cooler in this jacket than in many of the $1500 repros! @Monitor convinced me to take the plunge, and I’ve found a real keeper. The collar is everything! And the color is quite special. Gucci would be charging $7k and it couldn’t touch these WDs...unless it was snakeskin.

Marc mndt, Jin431 and Coriu like this.
  4. Claybertrand

Claybertrand Practically Family

5. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead One Too Many

don't know if it's a Cal. Gut tells me no for some reason. @tmitchell59 has a simple Cal racer. Can't recall if it's without the 6 panel or without the quilting. or both. Gwen did tell me most of the racers were made unlined. So that's a possible clue. Anyway, that one had a zipper replacement. If it is a Cal though, at that price, it would be worth it to go and buy a Talon and swap it out.

Jin431 likes this.
  6. photo2u

photo2u A-List Customer

Jin431 likes this.
  7. Coriu

Coriu Practically Family

That jacket is so unique and versatile. Anyone could wear it. ..and the collar! People with old-school style(leather afficionados or not) are going to notice it much more quickly than much of the stuff being produced today.

Jin431 likes this.
  8. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

The Cal Rubber Racer

DSC05535.jpg DSC05537.jpg DSC05551.jpg

AeroFan_07, Schambach, Jin431 and 4 others like this.
  9. Kubatu

Kubatu A-List Customer

Wow, I totally missed that padded cafe racer. I saw JMax's posts and Will's after it, but I must have scrolled right past the one in between. Definitely a great deal. Not a Cal though, I think.

Jin431 likes this.
  10. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Price wise even with the zipper replacement and sleeve alteration it would still have been reasonable but I had my reservations too and good thing I didnt pull the trigger right away lol thanks

that still looks so brand new. what's so different with that leather, is it waxy?

11. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

^^
    It's pleather or some kinda naugahyde.

Jin431 and JMax like this.
  12. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Cal was copied like a mofo, but based on the pics, I think it is. How far up the shoulder does the padding reach on this one? Does it reach the collar? I can’t tell. It shouldn’t. All else looks like a Cal. Stitching, liner, seams, collar, etc. Later model I’d guess since it has the thinner leather. Wish I could grab it, caress it, smell it— then I’d know for sure. :p

jonbuilder and Jin431 like this.
  13. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Nothing like a good Cal lol or a replica with good leather is welcome too! The quilting does appear to reach the collar from the front but maybe an inch shy on the nape area. I was a little unsure that's why I didn't pick it up but Lucky buyer who got this then.

JMax likes this.
  14. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead One Too Many

Jin431, AeroFan_07, Mandarin and 4 others like this.
  15. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie Call Me a Cab

500 USD starting bid for a jacket with 23“ backlength including the 4“ backdip.. that‘s pretty much a 20“ length jacket. I pity the guy who buys this without double-checking the measurements. Leather is beautiful though.

Carlos840, Jin431 and HoosierDaddy like this.
  16. stringer

stringer Familiar Face

I checked the measurements on the 48L cal and it was made for me, then saw the $900 price. Just a bit disappointing. Further down he states his profit margins are small LOL!!

Jin431 likes this.
  17. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Having fallen in love with the collar on my WD, I would totally hit BIN on this if it fit!!!!!!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/174888786388
    Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 12.45.20 PM.png
    It's a groovy Corsair...with plenty of room for patches. :)

Jin431, jonbuilder and alish like this.
  18. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 I'll Lock Up

Jin431 likes this.
  19. Claybertrand

Claybertrand Practically Family

Jin431 likes this.
  20. Kubatu

Kubatu A-List Customer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402959207152

It sold for $220 awhile back, this new seller is a flipper. As someone who has been trying to sell three near mint Bates jackets for a 1/3 of the price, I can't help feel that $650 is a bit unrealistic.

That first 50s Cal has fantastic grain, that's the hide you want on a Cal every time.

Jin431, Claybertrand and Guppy like this.