Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Monitor, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

I love everything about this Hercules (size 42) except for the asking price which is unrealistic.

Looks like Mintvintage is now selling under a different name.

935C8A43-DC9E-464E-8BB4-A972B428E9B9.jpeg 61F15360-DE54-412D-91B0-C14F7729F734.jpeg

Robbie79 likes this.
  2. vintageretromod

vintageretromod New in Town

Me too. I got an offer with watching it, but it was still priced too high, and there's no opportunity to submit an offer.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Marc mndt likes this.
  3. Al 916

Al 916 One of the Regulars

Were there any problems with this seller under the original name?

4. Marc mndt

'Problems' sounds a bit overstated, I don't think so.

What makes me pause with this seller is that he advertises every single jacket as being in 'supurb' 'excellent' or 'stunning' condition yet often times the jacket turns out to have busted seams, ripped lining or musty smell. His statements about condition are useless.

jonbuilder, Guppy and Al 916 like this.
  5. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

As Marc said, if this seller is "mint vintage" under a new name i would worry about description matching the actual condition of the jacket.
    I have bought three or four jackets from them in the past and returned all of them, either the condition was a lot worst than stated in the add or the measurements where way off.
    They always accepted the return and where quick to refund, still it was a waste of time.

6. Marc mndt

Is the label added afterwards (because first pic doesn't show a label in the neck) or is the label situated near the bottom hem?

Maybe @tmitchell59 has an idea whether or not this label is original to the jacket?

3F4A14C0-B16E-492C-8C81-C6614D119105.jpeg BC5CDDBC-DC96-473F-BA0E-8DF54012B13A.jpeg

Jin431 and tmitchell59 like this.
  7. Al 916

My opinion is....They accept returns. Marketing copy is just that.... and, my family do not get threatened if I point out that the measurements are slightly off.

Carlos, you know who / what I mean.....

Carlos840 likes this.
  8. Marc mndt

Don't forget about shipping costs back and forth (those will not be refunded). Or VAT/import fees, which proves to be a lot of hassle to get those refunded.

I'd rather like the seller to be honest about the condition (and measurements) of the goods he's selling. Saves everybody a lot of time effort and money.

Al 916 and Carlos840 like this.
  9. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

All the jackets I’ve bought from that seller smelled moldy. I’ve returned 2 at my cost, and washed one which is fine now. Watch out for the ones that have been baled, many of the wrinkles won’t go away.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    jonbuilder, Al 916 and Marc mndt like this.
  10. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

Exactly what Marc said, i was ready to risk Mint Vintage when i lived in the UK and coudl return a jacket for 10GBP, it felt like a risk worth taking.
    Now that i have left the UK i don't think i would buy form them again, international shipping and import taxes add a layer of complexity i don't want to deal with.
    Considering I have literally returned every jacket i bought from them i would not risk it anymore.

Marc mndt likes this.
  11. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

Yes, that would be a correct label for that jacket. These leather labels were used briefly around 1950. They had several variations. This one, in black is probably the oldest could go back to the 48, 49. The black resembles this late 40s cloth label that was used briefly post-war.

[​IMG]

Mrfrown and Marc mndt like this.
  12. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

1949 Sears Catalog

upload_2021-10-20_10-28-12.jpeg

13. Marc mndt

Interesting that they call this a cossack jacket. I always thought a cossack is a jacket style with front and back panel (no side panels) and a triangular piece at the bottom hem where the front and back panel meet. I also associate a cossack with shorter body length jackets.

61CA6610-45B3-4166-BBAE-77F1BFA812E3.jpeg 3AF5A81D-9998-43BF-8196-0A6E97DA66DF.jpeg

Frank Castle, Jin431 and tmitchell59 like this.
  14. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Sears referred to many different styles as Cossack in their catalogs thru the years.
    5ABF4DAD-9EDD-4BCB-852A-6E9EE37BB433.jpeg

15. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

Yes, just a name. This is a Cossack from the 1934 Catalog. Anyone seen one of these recently? There are so many unseen jackets.

upload_2021-10-20_11-2-2.jpeg

RILO, jonbuilder, Jumper and 7 others like this.
  16. Wildhorses

Wildhorses One of the Regulars

17. Al 916

All of this is good to know.

Thanks chaps

18. Jumper

Jumper A-List Customer

Robbie79 and Jin431 like this.