Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

finger wave or pin curl cheats?

Lilredrooster

Familiar Face
I looked and did not see my question answered so if this is some place else i do apologies, im still learning how to navigate around on this sight.
I was wondering if any of you girls have found a way to use rollers (hot, stick, Velcro, foam, pillow, rag ect) and get that nice finger wave or pin curl look?
Here is my problem, I have thick, Corse shoulder length hair and I can put it in rollers with the best of them, but when it comes to finger waves and pin curls I just fail.
I get so frustrated :rage: because i really love the look of that nice wave but i cant do it on my hair, im in cosmetology school and I can do it on a mannequin (ok it's not the best but it's better than when I do it on me)
So I was wandering if any one had figured out a way to get the same look or at lease close with rollers.
If you have figured out a way can you let me know what rollers you used and how you rolled them and did you brush them out or just use your fingers? And if you have pictures that would be ever better.
Thank you ladies.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I remeber in beauty school, there was this one little older lady that came in and she liked a wave on the front of her head and it was done with rollers...for some reason I am remember pink rollers, but it was probably those small blue ones (magnetic, the ones you use at school). One day I had her as my client, as her regular girl was gone that day, and there was a certain way to set the rollers, it was very particular, and when I brushed it out, sure enough it went into a wave. I had to brush and brush and brush , like flat to the head, almost even smoothing it out. I remember she had short hair. FOr the life of me I cannot remember how the rollers were set. I only remember brushing and that it went into a wave.

Since you have the luxury to be at school, with the manni heads and all, I would expirement with different ways to roll the hair with the rollers.
I also know that when you pincurl, to get a wave, you roll the top row say, clockwise, and the next counter clockwise..so on and so forth. After that, it's just brushing and brushing, close to the head, so as to gather all the hair at the same time, and it should fall into the wave.
If you want, I have a manni head at home, and maybe we can both expirement to try and figure this out!

Lilredrooster

Familiar Face
well i figure there has to be SOME way, right? i know nothing is as good as the real thing but if it's close to the real thing and easy, well then im happy.
that's a good idea to just try a few different thing.
i will let you know if i have any luck and you do the same, i may have to ask around im sure there is some little old lady some place that will have the answers!lol

The Shirt

Practically Family
The only thing I have come up with to "cheat" is that I use the tiny "spiral perm" hot rollers. Each has a diameter of about 1/2" and is blue plastic. I have course but thin hair as a reference. I roll the first/top layer towards my face generally. Then the lower row I switch direction and roll towards the back of my head. I am growing out my bangs - so that takes some experimenting to be honest right now. As soon as I get thru putting them in I start taking them out in the same order. The bang I leave in for only a minute or so total. I then pick the curls/ loosen them up with my fingers. I take a large flat brush and comb down. Generally I get a decent wave - Rita Haworth style on the part side. The other side I may have to touch up with a hot iron to get it to lay just right - or I put in a flower or comb.

It never lasts more than 1 day for me - but when I don't feel like sleeping in rollers or don't want the beau to give me a hard time for looking so goofy - this works for me.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I think most of the gals on this site have cheated a pincurl look by setting their hair with regular rollers such as Hot Sticks, sponge rollers or pillow rollers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points