Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Aero leather jacket - Advise needed

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Hi guys

I just stumpled upon Aero leather jackets in Scotland, and I think i'm in love.
I recon this is the place where I will buy my very first leather jacket, but I really
need some advise regarding what kind of leather to choose.

I'm very visual, so my first thought was heavy horse hide, since it seems that this
kind of leather gives the best looking patina/wear.
The downside, it seems from following other posts inhere on heavy horse hide, is the weight and they are tough to break in. I don't mind waiting for the perfect patina, but I don't like to feel uncomfortable for months.
A bit of weight is ok, just nothing too extreme. 5 pounds max i think.

Original Hercules og the Wayfarer would be my choise of jacket.

The jacket will be used mostly in the spring, summer and fall. I have no idea how leather jackets fells like in different climates, so maybe you can enlighten me here. I live in Denmark, Scandinavia.

The two pictures attatched show what kind of wear/look i'm after. Fourtunately i'm an outdoor kinnda guy, so getting this kind of wear, fairly quickly, seems plausible.

Is my only option heavy horse, or can goat give this kind of patina?

Attachments

• Double Tone læderjakke.jpg
    Double Tone læderjakke.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 4,478
  • Læderjakke, meget slidt.jpg
    Læderjakke, meget slidt.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 7,069
  • Original Hercules leather jacket.jpg
    Original Hercules leather jacket.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 3,069
  • Wayfarer leather jacket.jpg
    Wayfarer leather jacket.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 3,257
Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Goat won’t change much over years. CLX HH will take years of hard wear to get anything like the two pictures as well. Personally I would call those jackets well worn and one almost worn out. But each to his own. The lighter CLX Steer breaks in quicker than HH in my experience. But if you’re set on well broken in CLX HH perhaps you might be better off buying s/h off Aero’s used pages or cheaper from eBay. Tumbled CLX HH is softer from the off but doesn’t have quite the look when it’s older IMO.

The weight of hide makes little real difference to warmth and it’s the lining which gives that. Heavy hide is hotter in summer than light hide though. But in colder conditions there isn’t much in it.

Desmond007

Familiar Face
The patina on this jacket, is almost perfect.
It seems like the look i'm after, really has to do with
the thickness of the jacket (the folds at the sleeves) and
of course years of wearing and using it.

Attachments

• Leather jacket, patina.jpg
    Leather jacket, patina.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 5,597

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I would consider going for MWHH, maybe the vicenza, or tumbled FQHH, which is a little lighter and easier than the untumbled stuff. Both will develop patina/character, and combined with the standard wool lining give you maximum flexibility if you're using it spring/summer/fall. Both jackets are great designs, tbh, but I think the Wayfarer would look fantastic in tumbled cordovan.
If you're going for just straight ahead FQHH, I would go with brown. You really can't go wrong in terms the character it develops.

Last edited:

Desmond007

Familiar Face
This is so exciting, all this research, that hopefully, will end with the perfect jacket.
Thanks for helping out.

Now I just found the magic of Thurston Bros and seems like that
the Aero Sheene might be my jacket, since I dont really like the
strap on the lower back of many jackets.

Sheene: http://www.thurston-bros.com/products/in-stock-aero-sheene?variant=9929378563

It comes in

Chromexcel FQHH
Vicenza Horsehide
Chromexcel Steerhide
Goatskin
Tumbled Chromexcel FQHH
Battered Horsehide
Battered Steerhide

I have almost no idea what the look and difference is between these
funny sounding names. Could you guys help me out?
I see that they have both the MWHH Vicenza and the tumbled FQHH.

I really like cherry or brown, and it seems these two colors give the patina i'm after.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
I'd go for brown FQHH. It isn't all that heavy in my opinion, their 4.5oz steer is a hard mistress. I've been working my Highwayman for over a year and I'm still hardly getting any results. But then again, I rotate between 3 jackets. A CXL FQHH jacket feels heavy and tough, but when you wear it you immediately forget it's made out of relatively heavy leather. Wear a CXL FQHH every day for 3 months, and it'll definitely be broken in enough to be considered comfortable. Especially when you wear it outdoors.

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Grainwise, this is superb. Just to give you an idea.
Vicenza Horsehide from Thurston Bros.

As far as I can tell, just by looking at pictures of different leathers, the
more grain, the less contrast between light and dark on a jacket
(which i really, really like). Especially on the sleeves. I really, really like grain too, though.

The thicker the leather, the more contrast between light/dark it seems, when
the jacket is nice and worn. I don't want a jacket where i'm not able to move somewhat freely around though.

Do we have a winner? :D

Attachments

• Horsehide Vicenza, grain.jpg
    Horsehide Vicenza, grain.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 2,799
Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The Sheene's a neat fitting jacket with high arm holes, so it won't inhibit movement. With this design, I don't think the weight will be an issue, there's not a lot of excess on it in terms of an action back, half-belt or length, so I'd just go with the leather you fancy and move on to obsessing on fit, linings and metal work. :D

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I have two Steerhide Aero jackets. I really reccommend this leather for grain and wearability, but like anything of this quality, realize that you need to wear the jacket for at least 15-20 minuites as you try it on to let your body warm up the leather. It's going to feel very stiff until then. I also have a MidWeight Horse Hide Half belt that is stiff, very glossy, and is resistant to movement but is developing nice patina. If you want to see my Cafe Racer (steerhide) after a year look at the favorite motorcycle jackets threat, it's on page 5. Most of the jackets that Insurrection/Thurston orders are Steerhide.

Two things I reccommned, one is the buy a good used jacket *first* off ebay to see what you like. A new Aero for a first leather jacket is a pretty big buy and move although it can always be readily sold. Secondly, if you do go new don't rush the break in process. It is a labor of love that should take years to do. Read Aero's suggestions on breaking in and remember these are not cheap products. Buy one and enjoy and develop your own style!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Sloan, I think virtually all of us Lounge members obsess over everything and is why we are here posting in the first place. :D For a Sheene, my preference would be one of the four Vicenza MWHH's primarily because of the fantastic drape and feel that is only marginally less than that of Aero's veg tanned goatskin. If FQHH is chosen, my preference is Aero's brown "regular" FQHH, as many other Lounge members have also mentioned. For whatever reason my seal jerky Mulligan seems relatively stiff compared to my other jackets. If the OP lives in N America, it is a no brainer to be sent a fit jacket by Thurston, especially if ordering Sheene/CR or Board Racer as these jackets allow very little room for error in terms of fit.

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
It seems that you are going for the distressed look. If that is the case, I agree that the Aero brown FQHH is a good choice. But do note that some breaking in is required.

In any event, be prepared that in the pursuit of the "perfect jacket", this may be your first but not your last jacket. Have fun in the process and good luck!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Fanch, your comments make me think that the "MWHH" halfbelt jacket may indeed be seal jerky. I know it's hard to tell off a photo but here is one, your descriptions matches my my experances with this one. IMG_3427.JPG IMG_3419.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3427.JPG
    IMG_3427.JPG
    620.2 KB · Views: 2,575
  • IMG_3418.JPG
    IMG_3418.JPG
    417.9 KB · Views: 2,710

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I'd think hard about picking up a used Aero to start and get an idea of what you really like/dislike and get an idea of the fit. Way too often, people jump in with some over-spec'd custom jacket and end up selling at a huge loss. Go slow, it usually takes a few jackets to get the perfect jacket/fit.

Jägernaut

Practically Family
I'd go with brown cxl steerhide. It develops very nice graining rather quickly and has light dark contrasts like your after. I don't own one but i have seen several tempting examples over the years. This is a fine example of cxl steerhide. Photo taken at thurston bros shop.
11848852_461349314037109_42620101_n.jpg

Last edited:

bwchase

Familiar Face
I am a relatively new member, lurked for years.
Purchased an Aero LHB used off eBay. My first Aero. Appears to be unworn.
Know your measurements and question the measurements of the listed jacket.
I was lucky, his measurements were accurate, and the fit is good!
Listed as fqhh, but no leather type label. Pictures to Carrie and Holly, they think is
Connolly steer hide or buffalo. Very heavy and stiff. Grain is pronounced and distinct.
Aero quality is unbelievable. Woven alpaca lining, warm but sticks to wool sweaters.
Did I mention heavy? An elligant tank that gets many compliments, and wear it with western or fedora, dressed up or jeans and casual. Goes best with 100 percent beaver hats.;)
After 1 month of daily use, I think it is breaking in some, and/or I am getting less flexible when wearing it.
Have horsehide a2, goatskin a2, as well as steer hide jackets, the aero is in a league above them all.
Thurston in Seattle and Aero factory have been very helpful.
Good luck.

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Thanks for all your good suggestions.

So many aspekts to think about choosing the right jacket. Never thought it would be this complex :D Well, it's all good fun, and i am by no means a wealthy man, i just like quality.

I think it's safe to say that I'm going for a distressed look. You are so right about that. It takes time, and from what i can understand, you just have to enjoy this process. I fine with that, i just dont want to feel uncomfortable for monts.

I'm not in a rush, and i'll be spending the next months trying out different jackets and colors here in Denmark. Cant wait :)

It seems that Vicenza Sheene in black is the right choise at this point. I really dont know if i can get away with wearing cherry color. I'll find out within the next month or two.

How is the color on a Sheene Vicenza Black after years of wearing it?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Fanch, your comments make me think that the "MWHH" halfbelt jacket may indeed be seal jerky. I know it's hard to tell off a photo but here is one, your descriptions matches my my experances with this one. View attachment 41774 View attachment 41775

AeroFan_07 my Mulligan is a seal jerky MWHH. My Maxwell is a black veg tanned goatskin. Both are based on the slim fit of the 1930's half belt, and both have identical measurements. However, the Maxwell has a better drape and softer, more flexible hand than the Mulligan. The seal jerky MWHH seems stiff and less flexible than veg tanned goat and Vicenza MWHH. In reality I perceive little, if any, difference in the way goat and Vicenza drapes. There is something unique about the Vicenza that is hard to describe that makes it well worth the upcharge.

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Jagernaut: the jacket you posted... phew, it looks stunning. I am pretty sure brown wont look good on me. Have you seen it in cherry or black? Cxl is chromexcel and steer is horse, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk