Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First attempt at hat shaping...how'd I do?

addison

One of the Regulars
Well, with considerable encouragement from my brothers and sisters on this forum I have attempted to steam/shape a hat.

The hat is a $5 cowboy hat from a local thrift shop. It is a Resistol 4X grey hat that featured a typical wide brim and cattleman crease crown.

I bought this hat to experiment and learn on. For $5, why not?

I started by trimming the brim. I traced the size I wanted from a different hat, taking about 3/4" off but leaving slightly more on the front and back.

Then I simply used a teapot to steam and then reshape the crown to a teardrop. I did this with the help of a video that Michael R introduced me to. Thanks, brother!

Let me know what you think...suggestions welcome!!

God bless!

Resistol%20FRONT.jpg

The color is grey, like these next three photos....

Resistol%20RIGHT%20SIDE.jpg

Resistol%20TOP.jpg

Resistol%20BACK.jpg

And this is me, daring to wear this thing...lol

Resistol%20Addison%202.jpg

Resistol%20addison%203.jpg

Resistol%20Addison%201.jpg

Well, what do you think?

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Well, with considerable encouragement from my brothers and sisters on this forum I have attempted to steam/shape a hat.

The hat is a $5 cowboy hat from a local thrift shop. It is a Resistol 4X grey hat that featured a typical wide brim and cattleman crease crown.

I bought this hat to experiment and learn on. For $5, why not?

I started by trimming the brim. I traced the size I wanted from a different hat, taking about 3/4" off but leaving slightly more on the front and back.

Then I simply used a teapot to steam and then reshape the crown to a teardrop. I did this with the help of a video that Michael R introduced me to. Thanks, brother!

Let me know what you think...suggestions welcome!!

God bless!

Resistol%20FRONT.jpg

The color is grey, like these next three photos....

Resistol%20RIGHT%20SIDE.jpg

Resistol%20TOP.jpg

Resistol%20BACK.jpg

And this is me, daring to wear this thing...lol

Resistol%20Addison%202.jpg

Resistol%20addison%203.jpg

Resistol%20Addison%201.jpg

Well, what do you think?
It looks great and looks great on you as well! Not sure but the edge of the brim, did you sand it at all? It there are any tid bits uneven from your cut you can smooth them out with sand paper.

addison

One of the Regulars
It looks great and looks great on you as well! Not sure but the edge of the brim, did you sand it at all? It there are any tid bits uneven from your cut you can smooth them out with sand paper.

A rounding jack.
Bit there is no meed to buy one if you're just gonna do this every once in a while.
Just grab some fine sanding paper and keep sanding until it's smooth and round.
You did really well!!

Sandpaper...great idea...thanks!

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I just did it with scissors...is there a proper tool to trim a brim?

I think I would just steam it , lay it on a flat surface and take the back of a Hat Brush to get the ripples out , or steam and tap , drag a bit , then more to even it out . It looks great ! Hats without trim get wavy sometimes , they just need a little TLC , no trimming . But if its uneven go with sandpaper , 400 grid , or you could start with 220/320 grid if you really want to remove felt , then finish with 400 .

GOD Bless you Addison ! Great Job !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch