Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Movie

Novella

Practically Family
When I visited my grandpa's cousin last week I grilled him on what he knew about my relatives and ancestors that had passed away. In the end I didn't learn too much about them, but I did get some interesting tidbits about him. I especially enjoyed hearing about his trips to visit my great grandpa in Cincinnati. It was during a visit there (where they had the biggest ice cream he'd ever seen) that he saw his first movie - Tarzan Finds a Son!

Later I asked his wife what was the first movie she'd seen. She told me about her very strict parents who wouldn't let her go to the movies. The only reason she saw The Egg and I was because she went with friends without telling her parents.

My first was a reissue of Disney's Cinderella. I only know this because my parents told me and they saved the ticket stub. I was really little when I went, and my memory doesn't stretch back that far. Despite this, I still think there is something special about a person's first movie. What was your first movie? Have you heard any stories from parents or grandparents about their first movie?

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
My first movie would have been JAWS in 1975, but my parents thought it would be "too intense" for me, as I was only four at the time.

So instead I saw a drive-in double feature of Squirm and Tentacles around 1977. This at the Thunderbird Drive In, which still exists.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I remember Bambi quite clearly. I wept and wept when the mother was shot. And the forrestfire was almost too much.

But my first movie was Dumbo. Of which I only have a vague memory.
Many years passed and then I saw it again - and then I could remember large parts of it. So it must have made an impression.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I remember my grandmother, who was taking care of me for the summer, took me to see Olivier's Hamlet in 1951, when I was only 4. Now that made an impression on me. I also vaguely recall seeing a Francis the Talking Mule flick on 42nd St, about the same time.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Mary Poppins," Belfast Drive-In, Belfast ME, 1964. My uncle was the projectionist there, and at the hardtop theatre across town, the Colonial, so I saw a *lot* of movies when I was little. My most vivid childhood movie memories would be seeing "Yellow Submarine" at the Drive-In on its original release, and being terrified by that flying glove thing, and of seeing the original "Planet Of The Apes" and being scared so badly I had to run upstairs to the projection booth and watch the rest of it peeking out the porthole.

Earlier this year I got to project the sing-along reissue print of Mary Poppins for a packed house, not having seen the film in forty-three years -- and I was amazed that I actually had accurate memories of parts of it!

Haversack

One Too Many
It was either the first reissue of Disney's _20,000 Leagues Under the Sea_ or _Alakazam the Great_. The later was a Japanese animated film based on the Chinese classic, _The Journey to the West_, (the Monkey-King), and was released in the USA in 1960. Regardless which was first, I saw both in the Fremont in San Luis Obispo.

Haversack.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
hmmm I was so small at the time.:rolleyes: Let's see it must have been Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. This I remember because my sister drove my Mom's Country Squire, her friend Marianne was in the front seat, Marianne's sister was in the middle, and their little brother, (and still my best friend) Eddie and I were in the third row and we kept unlocking the middle seat and trying to squish Mary. bahahhaahhahahahahaha Now that was funny, waaaaay before the old busy bodies mandated that 3 year olds be strapped in car seats.:rage:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto