Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First post here

zipper

New in Town
I'm a newbie here and have long wanted an authentic, or fairly authentic but affordable A-2 jacket.

I am traveling to New York in the near future and plan to visit the Cockpit store in the city, in hopes of finding and buying a nice A-2 that fits me right.

Question: Can anyone tell me whether Cockpit jackets are worth the money. I understand there are better A-2 jackets out there, but I just like the idea of trying on something before I invest several hundred dollars.

Thanks!

Welcome! Authentic? Spend the same money on a used (as close to) authentic jacket as you can afford. The Cockpit makes nice jackets - quality. So does Schott. But for the same money, you could get a used Aero, a new G&B, US Authentic, or another used brand like ELC (and Good Wear, for more money)The Cockpit jackets are not cheap, and they are nice, but they're more of a civilian jacket as opposed to the ones I named above. Check out the Classifieds here and eBay as well as Aero's used jacket page.What size are you? Some sizes are much easier to find. Aero's used, sale, vintage page.

Last edited:

zipper

New in Town
Welcome! Authentic? Spend the same money on a used (as close to) authentic jacket as you can afford. The Cockpit makes nice jackets - quality. So does Schott. But for the same money, you could get a used Aero, a new G&B, US Authentic, or another used brand like ELC (and Good Wear, for more money)The Cockpit jackets are not cheap, and they are nice, but they're more of a civilian jacket as opposed to the ones I named above. Check out the Classifieds here and eBay as well as Aero's used jacket page.What size are you? Some sizes are much easier to find. Aero's used, sale, vintage page.

Thanks! I'm a 44R or 44L depending on the jacket. That's why actually visiting astore, like Cockpit, appeals to me. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a jacket, I'd like to try it on and make sure it fits and feels right. And, frankly, I AMa civilian, not active military.

Thanks! I'm a 44R or 44L depending on the jacket. That's why actually visiting a store, likeCockpit, appeals to me. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a jacket, I'd like to try it on and make sure it fits and feels right. And, frankly, I AM a civilian, not active military.
OK, but you said authentic! The Cockpit makes nice jackets. But note that by civilian, the cut is baggier or fuller than the ones I mentioned. If you're slim, it might not be as flattering. If you've got some gut or girth, it can look better. The Cockpit used to be Avirex, FWIW. Nice coats, but many would say overpriced as well. I'd try 'em on and if you find one you like, look on eBay - they're plentiful there. At least you won't pay retail. Good luck.

You might want to look at This eBay auction.These are nice jackets - I had one myself. Comparable if not nicer than The Cockpit. Although, some of these jackets are made by the same places. I know Schott and USWings share some models - maybe The Cockpit does as well...

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've said this here before, but I'll say it again: I've come to believe that a whole bunch of contemporary A-2s by domestic makers originate from a single factory in New Jersey. They may be branded US Wings, Schott, Cockpit, Legendary, etc., but they are essentially nearly the same in materials and cut.

So look for bargains, like US Wings $195 sale, rather than paying a hundred or two more for one of the other brands. Go ahead, try on Cockpit jackets in their retail store... but don't pay that big markup for a basic modern A-2. Also, if you're serious, make sure that you get a jacket with 38-40-42-etc. sizing rather than more generic S-M-L-etc.

Gibson & Barnes are a step up in quality, and offer Tall and Short numbered sizes. US Authentic makes a pretty good WWII-style jacket for the price - not in the same league as the premium makers, but quite different from the generic modern A-2. (That is, if their trim-but-long cut works for you.)

kojax

Practically Family
i bought a g1 vintage goatskin from cockpit usa the jacket is real nice i take a size 38. the jacket fit is right on good luck with your search ..

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
note for the zipper...cockpit offers their standard A-2, which is indeed a moderny normative jacket. but they also have vintage models, more pricey, which are fantastic. i own a horsehide ww2 flying tiger which is a very accurate repro, perhaps not the label, but everything else. horsehide, military fit so a size smaller than their normal jackets. cockpit also has a number of these vintage remakes, including a superb horsehide ww2 plain replica of the basic mil specs of ww2 (tho each manufacturer of the day as we all know had variances).

and yes, mister strange is correct, the new joisey 'unite' factor makes for schott, uswings, had made for cooper, might make the general jackets for cockpit. if you are going that route i'd indeed get the uswings 'signature series' a-2 as that's made to post war 70s/80s mil fit, which has all the elements of the ww2 a-2, but not a specific replica of that...more the a-2 when it was returned to service post war. i have one of those and it is not only excellent, but amazing for the money, looks great. the current day issue a-2 is blousier and looks like some mall leather jacket, and they usually have the originally non-issue side pockets.

the best a-2 i have is probably the cockpit usa flying tiger horsehide replica...it fits a full size smaller than normal sizing, is incredible, and has a $500 or so price tag to match. but i must say, worth it.

good luck, let us know

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I was under the impression that Ros Schott (who owns the Schott business) makes the jackets for all those other companies named. Even those US Wings Indy Jones jackets are made by Schott.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn