Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fishtail cut on trousers

Ricko

New in Town
Hello to all,
As a new member I'd like to say that I found this site through the Ask Andy forum and hope that it will answer some of my vintage questions. So far I've enjoyed what I've read.
My question has to do with the wearing of braces which I understand goes hand in hand with a higher rise trouser with the "fishtail" cut and a little more room in the waist as opposed to the style today of the tighter belt waist trouser.
Since I generally buy pants unfinished off the rack and have them tailored, can the "fishtail" be tailored into the unfinished off the rack trouser you find today or does it have to be done on a custom made pair of trousers?
Thank you for your time.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
You can always ad a split or notch back to the waistband of a pair of trousers with a waistband, though I prefer pairs that have no waistband and rise up in the back.

The ones that rise in the back are a style that cannot be created unless the trousers are originally made in this design. This is because they have no waistband.

Ricko

New in Town
Thank you for the replies. So then if I understand correctly in order to get a true "fishtail" cut of trousers one would have to go the "custom made" or "bespoke" route?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Oh! Mr. Baron has already said that!

...but I said it better- and ate cake between when I started my reply and when I posted... that Kurtz is just too quick on the draw for old me...
...nice cake it was.
Errrp!

Excuse me Sir- eyes down for a full house and all that- two fat ladies- clickety click- Kelly's eye- bit of a cock-up on the concentration front- eating and all - pencil's very sharp though-

Whatto!

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ