Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Fishtail' waist

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've seen several variations of the fishtail waist on trousers, and I have two questions about them. First, is 'fishtail' the technical term, or is this feature known by other names?

Also, concerning the different types. Some seem to be a simple slash in the waistband, some a larger V notch in the waistband, and on others the waistband is shaped in an extravagant double scallop with buttons at each tip. Are these different styles more indicative of time and place or of particular types of suit?

Regards,
Nick

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
In the 'classic' fishtail, the points of the tail reach well above the waistline, so that the back of the trousers rises much higher than the front. These are worn only with braces (suspenders), that attach to the points of the fishtail.

This is with the understanding, of course, that the trousers are cut to the 'true' waist, i.e., at the bottom of the ribs, just above the navel.

'Fishtail' is the only term I have seen applied to this tailoring feature.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Nick D said:
First, is 'fishtail' the technical term, or is this feature known by other names?
I've heard fishtails called English back, British back and high back as well.

Nick D said:
Some seem to be a simple slash in the waistband, some a larger V notch in the waistband
These are called split waistbands and are commonly found on RTW. These can be worn with or without braces. The split/notch is there for comfort.

img2927zg2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Nick D said:
on others the waistband is shaped in an extravagant double scallop with buttons at each tip. Are these different styles more indicative of time and place or of particular types of suit?
These are fishtails.Very British and seen less and less these days as most men choose to wear belts. Fishtails can not be worn without braces.

highbacktailoredbydarren7wv.jpg

as0260008.jpg

iammatt

Familiar Face
Tomasso said:
These are fishtails.Very British and seen less and less these days as most men choose to wear belts. Fishtails can not be worn without braces.

highbacktailoredbydarren7wv.jpg

as0260008.jpg

One should make sure to keep their jacket on at all times when wearing these. I cannot think of a more disturbing site in the world of men's clothing, though I am sure that they are very comfortable.

manton

A-List Customer
On Savile Row, these are called "brace tops." Every trouser cutter learns this pattern. All the tailors in New York know how to do it too. Italians typically don't know how to make it and don't wear it.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Baron's example look more like something I could live with. The other looks too warm for me. My lower back needs to breath a bit more than that. I think the higher one is not as flatering...at least for my build.

Will

One of the Regulars
As a man with a few pair of these I will say that the cut of fishtail that you get is less important than consistancy from one pair of trousers to another so you don't have to adjust your braces every time you put on a pair of trousers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto