FIT ADVISE: ELC A-2 Slender

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by GoAround, May 12, 2018.

1. GoAround

GoAround New in Town

Yes, it’s a first world problem & I know it’s always up to the personal taste, but as I’m going back and forth esp. about the body length, I was thinking that it might be helpful to ask the wisdom of the forum. ;-)

I’m targeting an ELC A-2 Slender and tried the one shown in the pictures. I’ll certainly go for longer sleeves but I’m uncertain about the body length - while wearing the jacket the body length felt a tad short and hence I was thinking to add some length there (one inch).

But as it’s my first A-2 style jacket I might not be used to that blouson fit and when comparing my pictures with the ones I’ve found while browsing this forum, the body length appears to be similar in most cases (leather part ends around / above modern trousers waistband). So keep it as it is?

On the other side, if I would only increase the sleeve length, would’t it look odd with such long sleeves and a relatively short body? But thats actually what mother nature provide me with. ;-)

Some fit pictures:
    1.jpg

This is my currently envisaged modification - the yellow post-it are representing the added length:
    2.jpg

To sum it up, my questions are:
    1. Should I leave the body length as it is or shall I add one inch as indicated by the yellow post-it?
    2. Is there any shrinking for the body length to be expected?

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    bn1966 likes this.
  2. marmalademan

marmalademan Banned

Length as is looks perfect to me. Adding more - as is usually the case - would definitely be a mistake, and in time you would come to realise so yourself (perhaps you would immediately)

bn1966 and GoAround like this.
  3. Dav

Dav One Too Many

I don't think you need any in the body, the trousers look quite low but the knits cover the belt so seems about right to me. Needs some in the arms though.

GoAround likes this.
  4. breezer

breezer Practically Family

dont over-think it.........go with your gut feeling.

GoAround likes this.
  5. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

Are you sure ELC allows for arms only to be extended? Because i don't think they do.
    They are very strict as far as mods go and don't allow any customization. From what i have understood talking to Rob they only offer standard and long sizes, long sizes are longer both in body and arms (1" to 1.5" longer) and are non returnable.

Now regarding your A2, i would agree with you that the sleeves are short. If allowed by ELC i would extend sleeves only, if not i would definitely go for a Long size, as i don't think an extra inch in the body would negatively influence the fit compared to how much better longer arms would look.

6. HPA Rep

HPA Rep Vendor

Most correct: no custom sizing is available from ELC. Those days are longgggg gone ...

Flightengineer likes this.
  7. Powerband

Powerband Practically Family

Disproportionately longer sleeves (to jacket length) will be better than shorter sleeves that will only emphasize longer arms.

If your only choice is to size up to longer length in order to get longer sleeves, then that’s definitely the better choice because you can probably tolerate more jacket length than shorter sleeves.

Nice jacket—good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoAround and Carlos840 like this.
  8. Flightengineer

Flightengineer Practically Family

Sleeves are short for you, jacket length - OK.

GoAround likes this.
  9. GoAround

GoAround New in Town

Thank you for your replies. Very much appreciated!

Fully shared that the sleeves are too short.

Let’s kindly focus on the main question “body length shall remain as-is or body length shall be enlarged by one inch?”.

So far the tendency seems to be “body length is fine as it is”.

Looking forward to read more opinions. ;-)

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  10. marmalademan

marmalademan Banned

I gotta say that adding more body length in order to have longer sleeves is not a wise move based on how this one already fits.

If you need longer sleeves you'll be better off buying one from a maker that lets you customise lengths. Pick a trim oattern, get the same chest size n the same body length, but add a bit onto the sleeves.

If they have the leather Bill Kelso would be a very good option

GoAround likes this.
  11. barnabus

barnabus Practically Family

Sleeves are definitely too short. End.

Body length is pretty perfect though, I think - but 1" additional length is unlikely to ruin the whole thing.

GoAround likes this.
  12. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

I've gone about an inch over my usual length with ELC by sizing up (46 to 48 for more shoulder room)..worried about it initially & then forgot all about it, still a short jacket (Hartman in my case).

13. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

Appears you are built like I am - high waisted and all arms and legs. IMO the body length is fine, but the sleeves are at least 2" too short. BTW welcome to the Lounge.

Dr H and GoAround like this.
  14. s4rmark

s4rmark One of the Regulars

Body length good, sleeves too short and will get shorter as they wrinkle up with use.

GoAround likes this.
  15. GoAround

GoAround New in Town

That's the reason I'm tending to wear my trousers "below" the hips, to give the impression that I have at least a little bit of torso. ;-)

Oh, I should have started a poll. The following picture I've retrieved from your comments given so far regarding the body length:

Leave it as it is: 8
    One extra inch wouldn't hurt: 1
    For sure add one extra inch: 0

Further votes / opinions are welcomed!

Have a great Sunday!

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  16. seres

seres A-List Customer

The sleeves are too short, so an extra inch there. The body length is OK where it is, but an extra inch would be fine. Remember, as the jacket ages and wrinkles, it tends to get shorter.

GoAround likes this.
  17. Cocker

Cocker Practically Family

The body length looks bang on to me, but indeed, arms are way too short.

GoAround likes this.
  18. GoAround

GoAround New in Town

To close the loop, this is how it turned out (decided to go with some additional length in the body & sleeves).

I'm quite happy with the outcome - thank you everybody for your comments & suggestions.

Front_Open.JPG Front_Zipped.JPG
    Back.JPG

Dav likes this.
  19. GoAround

GoAround New in Town

By the way, I hereby confirm that it's unlikely to stop after the first jacket (ELC B-10) ...

front_zipped.jpg front.jpg back.jpg

Dav likes this.
  20. breezer

breezer Practically Family

nice jackets and some nice wrist watch action......if I can see your watch I know for sure your sleeves aint too long. What is it if you don't mind me asking? Cant tell from the pics