Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit Pic Evaluation Help - New Half Belt

GregO

One of the Regulars
Got a new jacket in the mail, and was hoping for some feedback from you fine folks. PLEASE do NOT pull any punches -- tell me what you honestly think. No sugar-coating.

9diccnD.jpg

YF1piTW.jpg

wjw9vz6.jpg

OBhVxF4.jpg

Jägernaut

Practically Family
Looks like it was custom made for you. I don't see anything wrong with the fit aside from arms possibly being tight. Looks really good.

GregO

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the comments so far. Keep 'em coming.

Yes, its an ELMC Californian. Honestly, I would prefer the belt a touch lower, and the handwarmer pockets are stupidly high -- I have to hunch my shoulders and contort my arms to get my hands in. Silly. But I never use handwarmer pockets, so it isn't a deal-breaker for me.

It is extremely comfortable right out of the box. The most comfortable new jacket I have put on -- even more comfy than my Vicenza Aero. Despite my dislike of the belt and handwarmer pocket positions, I'm thinking that in light of the level of comfort, if the fit is excellent, I should keep it. That's why I'm asking the TFL experts about the fit.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Fit looks perfect. Pockets, about 2 inches too high. Not that it looks bad, but I can appreciate the annoyance with pockets you can't reach easily and naturally.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Looks perfect to me. My GW Ventura also has those high pockets. I don't notice them high when looking at the jacket, but notice them when I put my hands in the pockets.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IMHO, that's exactly how a half-belt should look. The fit is perfect and the style suits you. Now you know what your next jacket should be: a Long Half-belt!

Fit is perfect. Pockets are weirdly too high and so is the half belt. <- I haven't read any of the comments prior to typing this, but now I see that many other members noted the same. Though the jacket seems to be consistent with Terry's original so I don't know!

GregO

One of the Regulars
Terry - your pics/vids of the Californian is one of these reasons I picked one up. Thanks for posting up those resources. Sadly, I don't think the hide on this one will approach the character yours has, but who knows.

Despite a closet full of them, I've had an extremely tough time acquiring a leather jacket that fits this well. As I said above, I'm not thrilled with the handwarmer pocket location, but given the fit and the unusually high level of comfort right from the go, I'm really leaning toward keeping it.

I think I've come to the conclusion that no leather jacket will be perfect -- its minimizing the flaws is what's important. If fit and feel are the most important qualities (and they are to me), then I don't think I have a choice but to keep it.

pauleway

Practically Family
I saw these jackets on the Eastman website and thought that it was really nice, great leather, grain, and eventual patina, not to mention color choices, BUT - thought the half-belt was too high, and I don't care for the seam running down the middle of the back (should have been one piece of leather instead of two sewn together). Pockets look good, but should be a little lower for functionality. I watched tmitchell59's video with this jacket and have to say it looked really good.
The fit is perfect, and if the negative things that everyone is mentioning doesn't matter to you, that looks like a keeper!!

pauleway

Practically Family
[QUOTE="GregO, given the fit and the unusually high level of comfort right from the go, I'm really leaning toward keeping it.

I think I've come to the conclusion that no leather jacket will be perfect -- its minimizing the flaws is what's important.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that!

philosophy101

A-List Customer
The fit looks darn near perfect. As to the location of the half belt and hand warmer pockets, I agree with the previous comments - they both are placed too high. Overall, great looking jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto