Five Star (5*) Leather jacket MTO: a quick review

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Hobbes1, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Hobbes1

Hobbes1 Familiar Face

Disclaimer: I'm not as skilled a photographer nor as knowledgeable a member as many at TFL. However, given the enjoyment I've had here and the wealth of knowledge, I wanted to try to make a humble contribution to the board.

My recent order from 5* was scheduled to be delivered by DHL on 10/5/2020 but showed up today. What a nice surprise! Immediate verdict: I like the jacket a lot.
    Stats: I requested a heavier Steerhide in Seal Brown and I got a jacket that weighs 4 pounds on my scales at home. It's a soft feeling jacket, looks nice and seems well constructed. I do not have any Aero/LW/SB etc. jackets to compare it directly with but I feel like it's a well made garment.

My inspiration for the jacket was along the lines of Highwayman and Sheene type jackets and 5* had to apparently adapt/create the pattern for this one and I believe it's now an option on their website (I have no affiliation with the company, just bought a jacket from them). This is my first MTO/custom jacket.
    The only "con" for me is that I think this style is a trim fit by definition and it is snug on me in the torso. It is tagged as a 44 but I would definitely step up to a size 46 if doing it over. It is also bringing home to me, to lose some DadBod weight! I am just under six feet tall and just over 200lb. How'd that happen!? Covid?? Hmmm...
    Anyway, the twill lining seems nice and I would really put it along the lines of a good pair of chinos pants...it is not, as far as I can tell, super thick, but does have some heft to it. The sleeves have a Seal brown, satin lining and it's pretty easy to get the jacket arms on and off. This is really good, given the snugness of the jacket, if it were twill lined sleeves, I might not be able to wrestle myself in and out very easily.
    The leather pulls are, to me, just thin little scraps of leather and I might cut them off altogether. I did not originally request those but when the finished jacket was photo'd and emailed, they had installed it on the main pull so I asked for matching leather on the sleeve zipper pulls. The pulls are repro Talons and feel solid. They are nickle-brass and I took that option vs YKK in antique brass which was the only antique brass available at the time.

Shawn at 5* was very good, helping me work through the process and all in all, it was an easy and painless experience. I will likely get another jacket from them in the foreseeable future.

navetsea, Zoo and Jin431 like this.
  2. Hobbes1

Hobbes1 Familiar Face

So, now, on to some pictures. It is raining here and so no outside shots. Just quick cellphone pics.
    These start with the "unwrapping" and move through how it looked immediately out of the shipping bag.

Attached Files:

3. Hobbes1

Hobbes1 Familiar Face

Next are more pics prior to first wearing.

Attached Files:

Zoo, handymike, ton312 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Hobbes1

Hobbes1 Familiar Face

Last, a few pics of the jacket while I am wearing it. Sleeves and a (partial) front shot. As I said before, I am no skilled photographer! I hope you enjoyed the review. Cheers!

Attached Files:

5. ton312

ton312

Awesome Hobbes! More fit pics damn it!!! Jacket looks sweet! Fit looks great!

Hobbes1 likes this.
  6. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Practically Family

Looks pretty well built. Crazy they can make something like this at this price point. Congrats!

Hobbes1 likes this.
  7. Hobbes1

Hobbes1 Familiar Face

Thanks! I need to study the way others here have gotten good pics. Never paid any mind to the mechanics of that. There are some members here who have a knack for taking great selfies.... I'll do better when the rain stops

8. Hobbes1

Hobbes1 Familiar Face

One thing I will add about the jacket that is a bit of a con, also. The inside pocket is horizontally oriented. Due to the snugness of the torso fit there is a bit of conflict between the breast pocket and the handwarmer pocket and the interior pocket on that side. It will straighten out with a little help but doesn't fall naturally as well as I would prefer.
    If I did this over, I would delete the breast pocket over top the interior pocket.

9. ton312

ton312

Man I’m really overly geeked about the rrl interpretation Shawn is doing for me. Looking at these pics really took it up a notch. I could right now throw a thousand patterns at Shawn. I’ve got years and years and years of of screen grabs...

Marc mndt, navetsea, Zoo and 4 others like this.
  10. Fonzie

Fonzie One Too Many

That looks fantastic! Well done, 5* for the win!

Hobbes1 likes this.
  11. CBI

CBI One Too Many

Looks good Hobbes1 you might be able to set your phone against something and take a few time delay photos with you stepping back for a fit pic, many phones have that time delay feature. Providing measurements can be challenge which can effect fit of course. Same thing happened to me with the DHL delivery time, it was listed with estimated arrival much longer than it actually took but I knew DHL was usually quick internationally. It should break in well. I wore my A-1 with the same Steerhide today and noticed some nice grain pop.

Hobbes1 likes this.
  12. jonesy86

jonesy86 My Mail is Forwarded Here

We could all chip in on the cost of pattern development.

ton312 likes this.
  13. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I have a HM1 ready to go pending continued positive reviews.

jonesy86, ton312 and Hobbes1 like this.
  14. Jin431

Jin431 A-List Customer

Alright good job 5 star again. Congrats on your jacket!
    Is the leather squeaky?

Hobbes1 likes this.
  15. Hobbes1

Hobbes1 Familiar Face

Thanks! The leather is not squeaky. It feels good and is soft enough that breaking in isnt going to be a tough challenge. Just needs regular wear.

16. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead One of the Regulars

I approved my "Mr. Proper" Amelia Earhart style jacket this morning. HOping to get it end of next week. I went with heavy steerhide seal brown per Shawn's recommendation. I basically asked him, you got one chance to impress, which leather you want to send me? Measurements were quadruple checked against 10 other jackets I have, so I'm hoping they nail it. If so, I've got like 3 other ones I want to do. Never knew I'd be a fashion designer LOL

roadking04, Hobbes1, Fonzie and 3 others like this.
  17. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

congrats, fits looked great, with the way they pack it seems already pre broken-in by the DHL crew :)

18. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Practically Family

Shawn must be very pleased with the existence of TFL. I'm sure if he were ever to be interviewed, he won't look down on "those who find necessary ego completion in Internet blogs, forums, chat groups" :p

JustinW likes this.
  19. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman Practically Family

I just have to add that the leather looks amazing. I'm thinking an A2 in this leather with berry knits.

Hobbes1 likes this.
  20. l0fielectronic

l0fielectronic Practically Family

Looks great.

Impresive they are using period style fastenings too, for me this is what often lets budget, and some not so budget, offerings down.

Hobbes1 likes this.