Five Star Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Canuck Panda

Canuck Panda Practically Family

^^^Saw this on my facebook feed this morning too!

It looks like it's in between the thickness of the natrual 1.7 and the dark brown 2.2. And sure looks a lot softer too. The black is also dyed all the way through. That's nice. I am tempted.

Jin431 likes this.
  2. hjv2

hjv2 New in Town

Damn that looks really good! I might just get this instead of goat.

Canuck Panda, ton312 and Jin431 like this.
  3. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Please do, and report back! ;)

4. TheDonEffect

TheDonEffect A-List Customer

Ah, should've done an overdye to get the teacore. That looks immensely softer, is it chrome tanned?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    Jin431 likes this.
  5. ton312

ton312

I saw this too and am mighty tempted! I might wait and not play Guinea pig this time.

Canuck Panda and Bahabp100 like this.
  6. Kevin the Devon

Kevin the Devon New in Town

Five Star is not for everyone. I just wasted $240 US.
    All I wanted was an off the shelf jacket close to what I wear. I have ended up with a custom made one. Communication is poor at no time was custom sizing discussed as an option. I gave sizes to see it xl or 2xl was closest fit.

It might be common knowledge on here about custom sizes. The website doesn't have a custom size option and they didn't discuss it. I assumed custom would cost more and didn't want that.

Very disappointed at the moment

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    Canuck Panda likes this.
  7. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Did you buy from their website directly? The standard measurement they make is all over the place so a lot of us here order by getting in touch with Shawn to give out detailed measurements and details etc,

8. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

@Kevin the Devon this thread discusses the many wins and losses associated with ordering a 5 Star. Sorry that your jacket wasn’t what you wanted, but you really need to do your due dilligence and be very specific about what you want when dealing with them...it’s all over these 200+ pages. Many use the first jacket as a trial, and for the $$ it isn’t the worst option. Nail down what you like and don’t about your jacket...then if you’re willing...give it a second go. @ton312 didn’t have a great result with the first one either, and he’s now “King of the 5 star”.

9. ojaw

ojaw Familiar Face

Shawn answered all of my questions and was willing to work with any wacky ideas that popped into my head. It was because of my scattershot approach that I decided to hold off for now as far as 5* is concerned; I don’t know my fits well enough to be confident in a first order from him.

Canuck Panda likes this.
  10. ton312

ton312

There can be a learning curve with 5 Star. Best to know exactly what you want (and if it will work for you) ahead of your order. My advice would be to take your time. If you want to avoid the pitfalls of a hasty order, read as much of this thread as you can bear and learn from it, take that knowledge and apply it to your order!

Canuck Panda likes this.
  11. Canuck Panda

@Kevin the Devon I’m sorry the size didn’t work out. It can be frustrating, but I would suggest to contact Shawn to see what it would cost to exchange for a different size. Sizing exchange problem exist with everything we buy online now. The large fast fashion chains offers free exchange/return, but the smaller shops can’t afford to do that. It can cost more, but we all deserve a jacket that fits the way we’d like.

12. MoFo

MoFo Familiar Face

You’ve paid 240 USD. This is the normal price for an 5* A-2 “shelf jacket” in L, so where is the problem?

Which model did you order?

leper-colony likes this.
  13. Pandemic

Pandemic One Too Many

I saw on FB that 5* are offering you a free remake if the jacket doesn't work out. While I'm still confused over the details, it sounds like they are committed to righting any mistakes.

14. Webafile

Webafile One of the Regulars

So not sure if anyone has ordered the 2mm thick black leather yet but I just put my order in. Will update once I get it but will only be able to compare the weight and heft to my Y2 leather jacket which is 1.6mm thick horse hide

15. Canuck Panda

@Webafile Can't wait to see your jacket. I also caved to my impulse and ordered a jacket in the new black SXL.
    5Star Leathertog Repro.jpg

Riu, Zoo, handymike and 8 others like this.
  16. Webafile

Damn that looks good looking forward to seeing it

Mine is a mixture of a bunch of things I want together but I'm a bit worried about the cuffs. Got another order made jacket from another company in Pakistan but the cuffs came out like shit. And the back came out like shit. Exact same measurements of 5.57 inch cuffs but they look 100% different. Plus the leather that was used for the back piece is not good. But I want to try this with their leather and pray that it goes good. Might just ask to make the cuff 5.5 inches maybe but not sure

Attached Files:

17. red devil

red devil My Mail is Forwarded Here

What is the ETA on that one? :)

Canuck Panda likes this.
  18. Canuck Panda

The back - I think steaming should be able to get the wrinkles sorted out. It doesn't hurt to give it a shot.
    The cuffs - Did the maker put them on backwards? I remember seeing one other jacket on here that was like that too.
    I believe a pro steam job at your local dry cleaner can bring Pakistan jacket back alive. It won't be as nice as your jacket in the last three photos, but close. I assume that's the Y2 jacket right? It's made with much higher grade leather though.

Hopefully just in time for the fall weather! :)

red devil likes this.
  19. Webafile

Oh I will have to give that a shot and see what can be done about the wrinkles. And yes not sure why the sleeves are backwards considering I asked to have them facing out.

I'm actually considering doing some crazy stuff like trying to add wax to it my self to see if it's possible to improve the leather. Might not be as good as some of the leather that is infused with waves before it's stitched together but I want to give it a try considering it was a $250 jacket and might get sleeves redone to make them smaller

Canuck Panda likes this.
  20. Webafile

Anyone order a fitment jacket before getting their leather jacket. It's an extra 100$ so I'm thinking 450 for a perfect fitting(hopefully) jacket vs 350 for something that might not be as good because of measurements

Canuck Panda and handymike like this.