Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flag on flight jacket---anyone clear this up for me?

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
For the consideration of the group:

Is this kind of flag correct on a WW2 flight jacket? I don't recall ever seeing one before, though it has the correct number of stars. I can't tell whether it looks wrong because they were just uncommon on the shoulder, or because I'm used to the one I wore that's going into the wind.

If it's not correct, then I'll want to change it to something more accurate. Any help is appreciated. 10462715_10206285164715269_7129276170913024184_n.jpg
11053602_10206285163115229_6370636678223504100_n.jpg

Jumpboot

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think I remember seeing one either in a Jon A. Maguire book or "Hell Bent For Leather". But my memory likes to make things up.

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
Oh, ok. Thank you, guys. I appreciate the heads-up. I like the way it looks, but didn't want to be "that guy" walking around wrong.

JB

Stand By

One Too Many
From what I know from my reference books, it is correct.
To observe proper flag etiquette, technically the star field should be on the opposite side if the flag was to be worn on the sleeve you've chosen - so that it advances forward for the wearer (which explains why you'll sometimes see them that way on modern uniforms) - but back then (in Italian bazaars where your 12th AF incised leather patches would have been made by local artisans), flag etiquette wasn't uppermost in most AAF crew's minds. I've seen them set like yours, so you're all good.
Great jacket and choice of patches!

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Stand! It's my first HH jacket, and I'm really anxious to try it out. Luckily, Alaska is jacket weather about 10 months out of the year. You're right about the bazaar patches; I've seen that kind of thing in the Middle East for the units that were deployed there.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I think that's a really neat patch!
There's one just like it on an ELC A-2 in the movie Hart's War, IIRC.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
From what I know from my reference books, it is correct.
To observe proper flag etiquette, technically the star field should be on the opposite side if the flag was to be worn on the sleeve you've chosen - so that it advances forward for the wearer (which explains why you'll sometimes see them that way on modern uniforms) - but back then (in Italian bazaars where your 12th AF incised leather patches would have been made by local artisans), flag etiquette wasn't uppermost in most AAF crew's minds. I've seen them set like yours, so you're all good.
Great jacket and choice of patches!

I think the flags with the field facing forward on the right sleeve is a relatively new thing. The old thinking was, the canton should be to the left as viewed by any one looking at it. So forward on the left sleeve backwards on the right.

In the book American Flight Jackets, Airman & aircraft..there are several photos of the leather flag sleeve patch on WW2 A2s. All are on the right upper sleeve facing forward as JumpBoot's jacket. I did find a pic in that book of a '60s G1 with flag on the left sleeve facing to the rear.
HD

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
Hoosier:

I don't have the book, but I'd be interested to see that. Is there any way I could talk you into uploading one of those photos?

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
Hoosier:

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to do that! Those jackets look great, honestly. The military used to have such great style, and not just the US Army, either. I don't see why we ever got away from that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch