Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FLASH GORDON 2007

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No doubt I will catch some episodes. There will come a time for all of you when there are no lovely old movies on that you have seen a myriad of times, cooking TV or Flash Gordon. lol lol lol

Starius

Practically Family
Watched it last night. Pretty lackluster, as the initial reviews indicated.

Comes off like a cross between Sliders and Stargate, but not even as compelling as either of those shows. I don't even recall Zharkoff's name being mentioned in the first episode. I'll probably watch it for awhile, but only because I seem to be a glutton for punishment.

The Sci-Fi channel shouldn't have canceled The Dresden Files. At least the actors had much better chemistry on that show and the characters were more interesting. As for Flash Gordon, I'll just get the bad taste out of my mouth by reading the old comics.

BWS

New in Town
Starius said:
I don't even recall Zharkoff's name being mentioned in the first episode.

Towards the end, Flash did refer to him by name. Looked as though they'd edited out the scene where we actually learned his name. Just as well, since they've made him such an idiot it reminded me of that other Flash movie from the 70's. ("I don't think the Sex Ray has affected my design.")

This was really just beyond direct-to-DVD bad.

Starius said:
The Sci-Fi channel shouldn't have canceled The Dresden Files. At least the actors had much better chemistry on that show and the characters were more interesting. As for Flash Gordon, I'll just get the bad taste out of my mouth by reading the old comics.

I did like the Dresden files, apart from some unfortunate animation. The Sci-Fi channel series that amazes me, though, is Eureka. It's just written so well that it's hard to understand how Sci-Fi could have had a hand in it. It almost has to be something they stumbled into, a la Farscape.

I think the good news for Flash Gordon is that this series is just so terrible that it can't anchor itself in popular culture the way the Buck Rogers series did. That was tragic, as far as I'm concerned.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Well ... that wasted an afternoon. What an awful show. :rage: I can't for the life of me figure out which was worse ... the mangled plotline or the feeble attempt at acting by every single person in the cast.

Didn't know they canceled Dresden. My son will be really disappointed. He really liked it.

Richard

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Starius said:
The Sci-Fi channel shouldn't have canceled The Dresden Files. At least the actors had much better chemistry on that show and the characters were more interesting.

They did? Rats, we liked that show. I've been so busy the last couple of weeks I didn't realize it was gone. :(
blackthorne.jpg

Starius

Practically Family
Yeah, the Sci-Fi channel pussy footed around the subject of whether or not Dresden was going to be renewed for months, never giving a definitive answer either way. They finally just recently said flat out that it wasn't returning. Of course, they cited low ratings as the cause.

So, I fully expect the same thing to happen to Flash Gordon. The actress who plays Dale on the show was formerly on the show "Blood Ties" and I hope that show gets renewed so she can go back to that. It's a much better show than Sci-Fi's Flash Gordon. Although, we have what... one or two more new vampire/immortal crime fighting shows coming out this year? Might not be any more room for Blood Ties either.

I don't know what goes through the minds of the people at Sci-Fi sometimes.

Take a look at Battlestar Galactica vs Flash Gordon:
Both are a modern retelling of classic sci fi properties. So how can one be so good while the other is so bad? Its so simple, its the quality of creative direction you put behind it.

BSG has Ron Moore who has a nice track record working on Star Trek the Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Carnivale, and Roswell.

Peter Hume? Uhh.. such classics as Charmed? Relic Hunter? Remember that short lived Fantasy Island remake in the late 90s? He did that too... How about the memorable Cruel Intentions 2? He had his hand in that classic...

The quality of Ron Moore's work attracts great talent to work with... actors, production workers, etc... What does Peter Hume attract? Well, someone should tell Peter that you can catch more flies with honey than you can with crap... but crap just must come easier to him. He sure does seem to be full of a lot of it.

Ultimately, I blame the Sci-Fi channel. Science fiction is always a niche genre yet they try to make it more appealing to the masses by making it as low brow as possible instead of going the right way and just telling interesting and provocative stories - which is the heart of true science fiction.

Battlestar Galactica and Farscape were true diamonds in the rough, I count myself lucky we got to have good shows like that on such a disappointing network as the Sci-fi channel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner