Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flattering look VS comfort which one more important for you?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
in leather and denim, which factor come first in your decision making.
for me I must say I put comfort a bit low as long as it looks good.

I mean comfort in fit-wise I can tolerate a little bit straining on the knees, elbows, or nut numbing jeans when brand new, I can't tolerate material discomfort like itchiness, or lining get sticky to arm, or lining that make the jacket too warm, or smell

Last edited:

Mich486

One Too Many
I’m trying to wear things that I like the look of but I’m not constantly reminded that I’m wearing them due to them being uncomfortable. I believe that is my sweet spot.

Also I’m happy with breaking things in (boots and leather jackets) but ultimately they need to become comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zebedee

One Too Many
I wear things that are comfortable and practical- after the age of 35, I didn't much care how things (or I) looked provided it wasn't a suit day at work (suits have to be tailor made - I won't wear an off-the-rack suit, but I'd change my mind, I'm sure, if I was paying UK tailor prices. Shanghai and Hong Kong are much more reasonable, price-wise). I always get Aeros at my size, not down. I got a Cafe Racer a size up because then I didn't look like a sex offence waiting to happen to myself. Tight leather and me are never going to happen.

zebedee

One Too Many
I have this belief that when it fits really comfortable then it is slightly too big in regard of jeans and jacket :confused:.

It also depends on whether or not you stay the same shape all the time. If I'm in the UK, the chances are I'm eating more than I do when I'm in Asia and exercising less, so I am able to wear better-fitting things when I'm in Shanghai, or wherever. In the UK, I'm much more likely to go for sloppier clothes because I rarely work in the UK- it's where I live between contracts . I'm sure that if I take a maternity cover for a couple of months in the UK the suits will make an appearance.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm that's a leading question - there are other options and in fact some people I know who are into leather don't think much about either. I like leather because it is practical and hard wearing.

A leather jacket is the only garment you can wear for years and if it fades or gets scuffed or worn it only looks better. And you can wipe it off with a damp soapie cloth to keep it clean. You can wear it casually or for business. Sure the looks matter to the extent that you want the jacket to fit and not look ungainly. I personally don't fetishise the hide qualities the way some folks do. Not that there's anything wrong with it. Comfort matters to the extent that I don't want the thing to be uncomfortable. But comfort... that's a cardigan, corduroy trousers and a fire.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Mostly @Dav is right. There is obviously a spectrum but for everyone here appearance takes at least a slight edge. Track pants, gym shoes, tee or swearshirt, and a puffer coat are suuuuuuuuuuuper comfortable. If that was noticeably higher on anyones list they would be on a different forum. However, some of us may trend 51% appearance 49% comfort and some 90/10.
Tailored appropriately for age and body type is important.
I’d say i roll 70/30.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I pretty much agree with everything stated above. In selecting my leather jackets I try to get a fit that looks good yet is comfortable to wear and move around in. I also agree that all of us here by definition are putting appearance ahead of comfort to one degree or another and I think that’s a good thing. I’m sure there is a polar fleece and puff jacket forum somewhere but that just isn’t my thing.

^^ This is funny as I wore my CXL yesterday when I went looking for a puffer for my wife. I tried one on myself, and realized the huge difference. While I love the idea of packing your jacket in a tiny sack for travel, I’m choosing to wear a jacket that reminds me it’s on my back either by the snug arms, weight, or noises that my wife keeps mentioning (from the jacket- not me hopefully).

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Yeah the context is leather and denim, if you get to choose between 2 jeans or 2 leather jackets,
not a comparison between leather and knit cardigan:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto