Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flatts & Scrrugs "Hear the Winds Blow"

Hondo

One Too Many
I recall as a child singing this song during music lessons,
there are various versions of this song "Hear The Winds Blow"
does any one know the original and is it Flatt & Scrugs?

Down in the valley the valley so low
hang your head over hear the wind blow
Hear the blow hear the wind blow

Roses love sunshine violets love dew
angels in heaven know I love you
If you don't love me love who you please
put your arms round me give my heart ease
Give my heart ease love give my heart ease
Put your arms round me give my heart ease

Write me a letter send it by mail send it in care
of the Birmingham jail Birmingham jail love Brimingham jail
send it in care of the Birmingham jail

Build me a castle forty feet high
so I can see her as she rides by
As she rides by love as she rides by
so I can see her as she rides by
Down in the valley the valley so low

(Another version)

Down in the valley, the valley so low
Hang your head over, hear the winds blow
Hear the winds blow, dear, hear the winds blow
Hang your head over, hear the winds blow

Down in the valley, walking between
Telling our story, here's what it means
Here's what it means, dear, here's what it means
Telling our story, here's what it means

Roses love sunshine, violets love dew
Angels in heaven know I love you
Know I love you, dear, know I love you
Angels in heaven know I love you

Build me a castle forty feet high
So I can see him as he rides by
As he rides by, dear, as he rides by
So I can see him as he rides by

Writing this letter, containing three lines
Answer my question, "Will you be mine?"
"Will you be mine, dear, will you be mine"
Answer my question, "Will you be mine?"

If you don't love me, love whom you please
Throw your arms round me, give my heart ease
Give my heart ease, dear, give my heart ease
Throw your arms round me, give my heart ease

Throw your arms round me, before it's too late
Throw your arms round me, feel my heart break
Feel my heart break, dear, feel my heart break
Throw your arms round me, feel my heart break

Hondo

One Too Many
On another thread its what are you listening to, well (lol) its this song!
I be believe its has Anonymous Author, covered by many, different versions
such as Flatts & Scrugs.
One such version was in Richard Pryors 1980 "Stir Crazy"
a prison scene, one of the best.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I thought I was the only person suffering from 'collateral damage' as my dad calls it when a younger person has actually heard of folk and bluegrass artists like Flatts & Scruggs (Lester Flatt, Earl Scruggs). Was Earl the one who played banjo? 4 or 5 strings? Excuse the nerdy questions.:eek:

Lillemor

One Too Many
Thanks. I don't know why I've never thought of doing a youtube search of Flatt & Scruggs. I remember my dad buying a 4 CD set with them back in the 90s. My dad plays 5 string banjo too.

funneman

Practically Family
J.S.Udontknowme said:
I've listened to them all my life. I watched their TV show every week with my grandfather when I was a kid.

(announcer) "...brought to you by Martha White self-rising flour"

(sung) "Martha White self-rising flour, the all purpose flour,
the on-ly flour with hot rise."

:)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
"Down In the Valley" is an old American folk song. It's Wiki article cites a 1910 version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_in_the_Valley_(folk_song)

This is one of those classic old folk songs that many of us of a certain age learned as schoolchildren (along with Red River Valley, Casey Jones, On Top Of Old Smokey [which uses the same tune!], My Darling Clementine, Grandfather's Clock, The Ship That Never Returned, etc.) I'm very sorry to say that my own children never sang these songs in elementary school... they had never heard most of them until I played them my Doc Watson (etc.) CDs!

Another bit of classic American culture once known to everybody, now unknown to many young people. It's sad.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Funny Flat and Scruggs story ...

When Flat and Scruggs were first getting their start on their own, they used to come around to play at small venue dances for a "share of the gate" (percentage of the admission). My Dad was the Principal of Oak Hill School in Burke County, NC from the late 1940's until his retirement in 1979. Sometime between 1949 and 1953 (or there abouts) these two musicians stop by the school to talk with my Dad. They said that they would play for the regular Friday night school dance for "half the gate". My Dad thought that was a rather big fee, and ask them, "now who are you boys?"

"We're Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs" they replied.

"Never heard of you boys" was my Dad's reply, and he declined their offer and sent them away.

Years later when they were famous, my Dad would laugh about the time he sent Flat and Scruggs packing ... :D

Esme

One of the Regulars
Flatt and Scruggs were just on tv here the other day, cause they are showing Beverly Hillbillies reruns. They guested on that show a lot!
Having a musical family, all banjo players are revered by this child of an Arkie mom and an Okie dad.

kiltie

Practically Family
As a child, I listened to that banjo constantly. My dad played mandolin in a bluegrass band for years, too. They even got a record deal offer and cut a forty-five. Most of the guys went on as musicians in some capacity, but my dad grew up ( a little ), though he continued to play with those guys for many years. At different times, these guys were playing with Ernest Tubb, Willie Nelson, one guy played with Christopher Cross, another was ( is? ) a studio musician, and so on...
You can't explain to someone who hasn't experienced it, growing up in a house where people come over for the holidays and birthdays and such, and by nights' end there's an eight piece band in the living room or the backyard, or sometimes both. Going to bars and picnics with scores of guys playing. I could go on and on...
Every time I hear Lester and Earl, any time I hear that "high, lonesome sound"...

IMG_0767.jpg

Lillemor

One Too Many
My dad played with the only Danish bluegrass band back in the 70s when he lived here. They released one record too. Grandpa played too. I've heard banjo playing at odd hours. There used to be a bluegrass program we'd listen to some weekends.

funneman

Practically Family
I hear you kiltie.

My Dad, Mom and older Sister were a gospel trio when I was growing up.

I spent countless hours at little wood frame churches in the middle of orange groves while my Dad played guitar and the three of them sang along with
dozens of other local performers.

It was a wonderful childhood and I'm always thankful that I was brought up
in a home where music played a huge part in our lives.

When Mom put on a stack of albums we'd hear everything from Hank to the Blackwood Brothers, Lawrence Welk to Elvis.

miles_archer

Familiar Face
Danish bluegrass...interesting. It doesn't get much better than Flat and Scruggs except maybe for Mr. Bill Monroe. As he said sometime in the 60's "[Flat and Scrugs] would have dug a whole lot of furrows if not for me"

Lillemor

One Too Many
miles_archer said:
Danish bluegrass...interesting. It doesn't get much better than Flat and Scruggs except maybe for Mr. Bill Monroe. As he said sometime in the 60's "[Flat and Scrugs] would have dug a whole lot of furrows if not for me"

My dad's American and the bluegrass they'd sing was in English but they'd play some Danish folk songs too. Funny, I was digging through my CD collection to see if I had any Bill Monroe. I don't have any CD with just him. I have a couple of compilation CDs with him and other artists including Flatt & Scruggs though. Can't find those right now.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points