Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fleet Air Arm Jacket

Stlawrence

New in Town
Has anyone experience with this jacket?

https://www.flying-jacket.com/jacke...kets/the-faa-jacket-with-cold-weather-lining/

It's the British Fleet Air Arm (Naval Aviation) authorized jacket. It is shown in this photo with a Velcro patch for ID attachment, but the civilian version does not have that. It seems to be a product-improved version of the G-1, based on the "improvements" that British Naval aviators wanted: snap pockets, pen pocket on left sleeve, zip out liner, detachable mouton collar.

I think it looks pretty good, but a 500 pounds might be a little steeply priced. Anyone have opinions/knowledge of this jacket?

Flightengineer

Practically Family
I always thought that British Navy pilots are flying in Mk-3 jackets.

Other jackets from the site look also like a commercial fantasy "type Nato Tigers Jacket" etc :)

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not my cup of Char,

Wasn't ever worn by British Aviators that I've heard of (G-1 type), 'Commercial Fantasy' as Flightengineer points out......

Stlawrence

New in Town
Ah, ha! So you're saying they may be the same as some of our companies who claim to have supplied the USN, USCG, and Greater Topeka Girl Scout Council?

Deacon211

One Too Many
Ah, ha! So you're saying they may be the same as some of our companies who claim to have supplied the USN, USCG, and Greater Topeka Girl Scout Council?

Well, actually I think it’s a little more than that.

A company who makes a repro and uses a little license to say that they are “mil-spec” or that they supply (something) to the military may actually be technically correct while not telling the WHOLE truth.

But if this jacket pattern (and it’s not a G-1) was never worn by the FAA made by ANYBODY, then that’s more that a little bit disingenuous.

Of course, I don’t know FAA jackets at all, so the jury is still out on this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stlawrence

New in Town
I asked Flying-Jacket.com if the jacket was an approved item of clothing for Fleet Air Arm aviators, and received this in reply:

"The FAA jacket is approved by the Fleet Air Arm and forms part of their official uniform, which includes the Velcro patch. As the Velcro patch is part of the official uniform it is only available to FAA members. Non members who purchase the FAA jacket will not have this patch on the jacket."

This seems pretty clear to me. This isn't a case of, "someone bought one of our jackets at the BX once, so it's supplied to the military," or anything like that. It is "part of their official uniform...."

Qaribbean

New in Town
I would like to see a photo of at least one FAA Royal Navy pilot in this jacket :)

Similar to the Royal Air Force, the jacket is part of uniform regulations but not very often seen worn in the wild! Closest you'll find is seen in the Royal Navy's uniform regulations :

upload_2021-4-21_12-25-53.png

upload_2021-4-21_12-26-52.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points