Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flight Jacket Sizes ...

Gentlemen,

I wonder about the sizing of vintage flight jackets. I'm thinking particularly about sheepskin-lined flight jackets - think Irvin, B3 etc. How many inches greater than my chest size should the outer measurement of the jacket be? These are bulky beasts. Obviously the outer measurements will be greater than those for a suit jacket ...

thanks for your help,

bk

JWG

Familiar Face
I recommend contacting a prospective manufacturer and giving him your measurements, suit size, etc. and they will guide you. Yes the B-3 is bulky but exceptionally warm!

Not planning to buy it from a manufacturer. I don't buy anything new - it's just too expensive (overpriced??). If i don't come across one in a store it'll be from the internet. So, how much bigger than my chest size is recommended for the outer chest measurement of a bulky flight jacket? ...

bk

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I have several WW2 sheepskin/shearling flight jackets and the measurements vary a lot. Plus they are hard to measure because when you lie them down the fur makes the body curve rather than lie flat (if you see what I mean). However, I understand you are Golden Age sized and not one of these modern giants? If so, I’d recommend you buy an original not a repro and go by the label. In my experience they are usually sized accurately on the labels (US jackets are always labelled, unfortunately Irvins most often aren’t)

With repros you can never be sure about the labelled size. Some manufacturers some of the time have catered to the modern demand for a floppy fit and made them oversize, but they have rarely been consistent even in this. I have a first edition ELC size 38 Luftwaffe jacket that is smaller than my friend’s recent size 36.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
.....though, sticking my neck out, and if you are really stuck, I'd go for about four inches bigger round the chest e.g. 44 in a 38. About 2" more than with a suit jacket. Though you'll find every other measured parameter effects the true fit.....sleeve length, shoulders, waist, back length etc. Really, measurements aren't that helpful with these jackets I'm afraid.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Just a word of warning about vintage sheepskin. Some of it can be quite fragile. It seem the Irvins have held up better than most US jacket. And for some reason the Navy shearlings seem to have faired much worse than B-3s.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
that's absolutely right Airfrog. I have had "mint" AAF - and especially USN - jackets that virtually fell apart on handling. In general it's the ones that appear mint or thereabouts that are the dodgiest - always go for one that has been worn a lot and yet still going strong.

Irvins are the safest bet of all, there seems to have been some major and crucial difference in the British tanning/finishing process that makes them long-term sturdier. Unfortunately most of them have no label....

falcodriver

New in Town
airfrogusmc said:
Just a word of warning about vintage sheepskin. Some of it can be quite fragile. It seem the Irvins have held up better than most US jacket. And for some reason the Navy shearlings seem to have faired much worse than B-3s.

I agree totally. My experience with many Navy sheepskins, is that the maker plays a large part as well. Can't say why, just some makers just did a better job than others. Also the long term storage plays perhaps the largest part in their durablility. IMHO.

Hacker

Baggers

Practically Family
For what it's worth, when I bought my repro Irvin from Aero, I took their advice and went one size larger than my regular jacket size (44 instead of a 42) after I told them I wanted to be able to layer a British battledress jacket under it. It worked out perfectly. As a bonus, of course, it's real comfy with just a shirt or sweater under it.

To contrast, I also have a used Aviation Leathercraft Irvin that I had gotten a year earlier (before I found these forums and learned better!) that's labeled size 42 and it's just too snug for me. I guess it should fit someone who wears a size 40 pretty well, anyone interested? ;)

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points