Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flight jacket

leathct

New in Town
Hi,
I am looking to buy a new A-2 leather flight jacket. I would like goatskin or lambskin. However, I want to be able to buy it in a store rather then on-line. I want it to be of high quality, but lighter weight. I currently have one made of horsehide from Vanson, which works great in later fall.
I live in Connecticut, near Rhode Island, can anyone recommend a store.
Thanks

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A photo review/documentary of a 80% mint Monarch civilian flight jacket in steerhide
Picked up from a local store, the steerhide is covered with white grime, not sure the cause of the formation, but the leather is well intact and very sturdy. Stitchings are almost perfect except a little missing top stich on the shoulder (partial). The label is intact albeit dirty, so I'm conditioning the leather, stain remove the label, and sending it to Alan at johnson leather to replace lining and knits.

The conditioner i'm going to use is 1. Lexol ph cleaner plus Leatherique cleaner, 2. Leatherique rejuvenator and Montana pitch blend. Due to the stiffness and dryness of the steer, this may takes a few days to take effect. Also, the originial quality of the steer wasn't very good to begin with so the softening may be limited. Let's see. Any suggestions are welcome.

005C1163-6465-4190-8C51-07105AC18E5F_zpshuap8v7d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
C4FA4966-9A26-4B1E-8905-B6187DEE94CF_zps7twaigkj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
EB590662-277F-432E-8A3D-3FB594F6213D_zpshybocwkp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
720543A4-3E17-43A9-8707-8AB0227042CE_zpspnfcxjap.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
D809540B-59CD-457B-9B93-6A109ED261BD_zpszebdukob.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

regius

Hoosier, in that case someone previous may have conditioned it, but what's with the cardboard feel? Maybe it's just the way it is? or, the previous condition dried out and surfaced?

regius

The original civilian jackets tend to use ranyon-satin, or nylon quilt lining, later into the 60s switched to polyester. I wonder if it's still possible to source rayon-satin quilted lining? Rayon is everywhere, but Vanson, Johnson and Schott all choose to use polyester quilted lining, why?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points