Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flight jackets' warmth compared?

Naphtali

Practically Family
As I type, it has been snowing continuously for more than one day. The temperature for the past week has fluctuated between -24 and +18 degrees Fahrenheit -- the short description being "horsesh*t weather."

Among the RAF Irvins, and USAAF B-3, B-2, and ANJ4, please rank them for warmth. Until I looked on Real McCoy's price list web page, I was unaware of an insulated jacket named "B-2." Any information anyone who has owned one can furnish will be appreciated.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The B-2 on McCoy's order (and products) page is a hat. The B-2 jacket is made only by Lost Worlds, Buzz Rickson's and The Few. With LW's being the most affordable at $1,250, they offer the least warmth for the money. They cost more for 2 reasons: they are a pre-WW2 design and not very popular, and they are harder to make because they are horsehide lined in blanket cloth. They're warm, but the heavy shearlings are warmer, and do not stiffen up in subzero cold as do heavy horsehides.

I own an LW B-2, which I bought used a few years ago. It is very stiff, which I understand the Buzz B-2 is not. The mouton collar also poses problems, as the fur is so thick and dense that it is the stiffest part of the garment. The snap latch that fastens the collar is essentially unworkable, and the two button loop closures would be no better with gloved hands.

The Irvin, B-3 and ANJ-4 are full-thickness shearlings (typically 3/4" or so of fleece). As such, they will be the warmest thing going in flight jackets. I feel the ANJ-4 is the most practical of these designs due to the large patch pockets. You can find Irvin and B-3 repros with slash pockets, but they're usually not the best quality. The best repros have no pockets (Irvin) or just one open patch pocket (B-3).

Hope this gets you started.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I would think that between the B3 and ANJ4, the B3 would be the warmest, due to the wind flap.

From my personal experience the different between being warm and being super warm, is getting your jacket entirely overlayed in horsehide. I had an Aero B3 made and it was warm, I couldnt wear it in weather over 30 degrees or I would be too hot. However, I just had the entire jacket overlayed in smooth horse for added durability (their mid weight horse) and that made a HUGE different in insulation. I was out wearing that jacket in 17 degree weather on Friday (with the wind chill it was 4) all I had underneath it was a very thin long sleeve tshirt and I was hot. Not even a pleasant kind of hot, I had to unzip the jacket to cool off.

That jacket is WAY warmer than my N3B and definitely a lot warmer than it was before the overlays. I know that many have said leather itself isnt a big insulator, but in this caase, it really made a huge difference.

GreyBadger

New in Town
I can only vouch for the Irvin, having worn one once... That was certainly toasty. I am now on the lookout for one myself to keep me warm in these rather chilly UK nights at the train station.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Never had any US jackets - but I can tell you that my Irvin (Aero repro) is so warm, that I sometimes have to open it even in freezing temperatures.
Just to cool down. A great jacket!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Ex-Government 'Irvin' jackets were popular workwear immediately after WW2. They were colloquially known as 'bum-freezers' due to their short length.

Fiver64

Practically Family
ANJ-4 warmth and bulk

I owned a Lost Worlds ANJ-4 back in the 90s. Bought it new and loved the workmanship (although very pricey). Do have to say that even after wearing it each winter for 4 years, it never really broke in well and would get stiff as a board in weather below zero. It was warm, but for practicality sake (not style) a nice NORTH FACE gore-tex jacket was a better option for truly cold weather, and for daily movement based activities such as driving or bending your arms. This may not be the case with all makers, but LW is known for almost overly-thick leather. All the jackets you mentioned will be bulky. You just can't get around the amount of material used. Just my opinion!

JLStorm

Practically Family
Atticus Finch said:
Stay warmer and save a bunch of money. Do what the U.S Air Force did at the end or the war...buy a B-15.

AF

I have a milspec B15 and it is nowhere near as warm as a shearling coat...its not even in the same league. Im not sure if there are different styles of B15, but I would think an N2b would be a closer comparison to a shearling jacket. My N3B is almost as warm as my B3, but much lighter, easier to move in, and has much more coverage...doesnt look nearly as cool though.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
JLStorm said:
I have a milspec B15 and it is nowhere near as warm as a shearling coat...its not even in the same league. Im not sure if there are different styles of B15, but I would think an N2b would be a closer comparison to a shearling jacket. My N3B is almost as warm as my B3, but much lighter, easier to move in, and has much more coverage...doesnt look nearly as cool though.

Yes, I was just joshing a bit. I expect that a B-3 would be warmer than a B-15...truthfully, the B-15D MOD is pretty much the same jacket as the early MA-1. Actually, though, the Air Force intended the B-15 to replace the shearling jackets. The L-2 replaced the A-2. The B-10, and then the B-15, replaced the B-3 and B-6 shearlings. The N-2 and N-3 became the new heavyweights.

AF