Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Floridians! Lend me your ears...

Jovan

Suspended
Does anyone know of any thrift stores that consistently carry good things around Florida? I live in Gainesville, but am willing to travel a bit to find some good ties, trousers, sport coats, and suits. Any help would be much appreciated, both from me and panamag8or who also lives here.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Well I can say that so far in my searches, southwest Florida doesn't have much. You'd think that with all the Snow Buzzards coming here each year that there would be better pickings in the thrift stores. Somebody once told me that they probably dump all their good stuff in stores up north and only bring the touristy essentials when they come here.

panamag8or

Practically Family
We have gobs of antique stores, but very few of them have any vintage clothing, and even then, it's mostly women's stuff.

funneman

Practically Family
Pretty slim pickin's in Southeast Florida as well. I've only seen one hat in a thrift store down here, in all my months of searching. It was a porkpie with a giant plastic anti-theft device stuck all the way through the brim right in the front.

I've seen plenty of vintage-looking silk ties.

That's about it.

:eek:fftopic: Hey guys, what say all us Florida Loungers get together for a little
field trip and photo shoot here:

http://elliottmuseumfl.org/exhibits/permanent_exhibits.html

Jovan

Suspended
We'll see... I'm not sure where that thread ever went regarding a Florida Lounger meet.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll guess I'll just have to look around wherever I go here!

Thrift shops are by their very nature difficult to predict.

I've never been in a Goodwill where i didn't pick up a 30s tie or two. Loads of 50s ties. Sometimes there were some 40s ties too. You know what you're looking for, right? (i.e. how to spot a 30s, 40s or 50s tie).

Clothing - suits, coats, trousers - is far less abundant in thrift stores. Very hit-and-miss.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points