Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flowers Of The Forest 9 September

mikepara

Practically Family
Just to remind or inform you all. Especially if you've the blood of the Scots running through your viens.
On this day in 1513 A vast amount of Scottish Nobility including their King James lV and between 15,000- 20,000 other men died on English Soil at the hands of the victorious English (who lost about 1500 men) at the battle Of Flodden (Branxton Hill) in Northumberland. The Battle lasted 3 hours and the 21,500 men died in less than a mile. The carnage puts the losses at the Somme into the shade.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Mike.

I often make the detour on my way up to Kelso. Take an old flask of coffee with me and have a wander over the battlefield, before pointing the car towards Cornhill.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Gentlemen, I just had an odd moment of melancholy as I read those two posts. If you ever have the inclination, please post a photo of the site.

Carter

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mikepara said:
Just to remind or inform you all. Especially if you've the blood of the Scots running through your viens.
On this day in 1513 A vast amount of Scottish Nobility including their King James lV and between 15,000- 20,000 other men died on English Soil at the hands of the victorious English (who lost about 1500 men) at the battle Of Flodden (Branxton Hill) in Northumberland. The Battle lasted 3 hours and the 21,500 men died in less than a mile. The carnage puts the losses at the Somme into the shade.

Time for some serious research! I'm always looking for new eras of military history to learn, in addition to feeeling a great reverence for the level of sacrifice of these men. Thanks, Mikepara!

dean

carter

I'll Lock Up
Sir Walter Scott wrote a lengthy poem in 6 cantos that dealt with this battle. It is entitled Marmion; A Tale of Flodden Field.

There are many references to this famous battle on the internet. Some very interesting reading.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by Baron Kurtz
An odd and eerie place, Flodden field. Spent quite a few sunday afternoons there when a child.

Baron, please expound on the odd and eerie nature of Flodden Field. A battlefield once saturated with the blood of thousands must have tales to tell.

Is this hallowed ground?

mikepara

Practically Family
monument_o.jpg

flodden_06o.jpg

Just to show you the scale of the monument. The plaque on the other side reads: FLODDEN 1513 To The Brave of Both Nations.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Those are great photos. The glowering sky over the monument really sets a dramatic tone. Thanks for posting these, mikepara.

Another place to see before this sojourn ends. :)

Caledonia

Practically Family
Thanks Mike. I've never been, nor knew, ashamed to say. Will make a detour down for the day when I'm in the Borders next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana