Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying coat

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
It's a nice coat but just be aware it's not a WWI flying coat (for those after a true style WWI example).

pussycatrsv

New in Town
please tell me where I can find a full length fleece line flight coat like you described...!!!! PLEASE... would love to see one...no one makes one.. cirrus does not look like th eone i saw a couple years ago... and i can not find the one i saw... please.. thanks

Smithy said:
Your Dietz painting shows Reed Chambers wearing a fairly standard 3/4 length flying coat.

Unfortunately most of these items were private purchase so that is why there is so much variation in what was worn and little standardization with WWI flying coats.

I can't speak for the USAS but for the RFC/RAF/RNAS the most sort after flying coats amongst aviators were made by Burberry. These were more often full length, fleece lined with a large map pocket across the breast. They were so highly regarded that Central Power pilots used captured examples.

In terms of getting a similar coat Cirrus clothing in the UK offer flying coats. I have never owned one so can't comment on the manufacturer but they offer both full and 3/4 length "flying coats" with or without fleece/fur collars.

Hope that helps a little.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Pussycatrsv,

If you are after a Burberry style flying coat (which by the sounds of it you are) then your options are fairly limited. Very, very occasionally you see originals on eBay but they tend to command astronomical prices (for good reason) and are not surprisingly in delicate nick. To my knowledge, no one is offering an exact copy of the Burberry style WWI full length flying coat. The closest I have seen is the Cirrus which isn't far off and a pretty decent approximation with the kinds of features you see in British WWI full length flying coats (fleece lined, single breasted, chest map pocket). A number of manufacturers offer three quarter coats with sheepskin collars and the like but unfortunately the sort after Burberry style is largely overlooked by modern coat makers.

Good luck in your search and I'd say keep an eye on eBay or if you want a new coat, then probably the Cirrus in brown leather with fleece lining may be your best bet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran