Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying Tiger Aircraft Recovery?

Grit

New in Town
Hey Loungers,

Anyone know anything about recovery efforts for a Flying Tigers P-40? A few years ago there was some info about one in a lake they were hoping to recover, but last I heard they hadn't been able to bring it up. There's some very sketchy info here: http://www.sinoam.com/flying_tiger/Current News Stories/Current_ News_ Stories.htm

Someone told me the plane had been recovered from the lake, but I can't find any confirming evidence. If it were true it would be fantastic--there are no P-40s left anywhere that flew with the AVG (although a museum in Thailand has an engine and propellor recovered from a crash site).

I figure if anyone knows anything, it's the good folks here.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
November of '03 was when they were supposed to have brought it up. I also heard it was only under about 20 feet of water and that there was talk of actually trying to restore it to flying condition.

Grit

New in Town
The last web mention I could find was from late 2005, and the plane was still under 9 feet of silt. It's surprising that the plane wasn't brought up during the war--the planes were in short supply, they could've used the parts, and they did bring other P-40s up from similar depths at the time.

Some of the stories I found seem to suggest the plane was in very good condition, but as much as I want to believe that after 65 years underwater I find it hard to think that might be true. And the pilot did die in the wreck, so it doesn't sound like it went gently into the drink.

Nothing at all on the official Flying Tigers page, unfortunately. And my friiend whose father is a Flying Tiger and remains active in the association (she lives with him) said she hasn't heard anything, either.

Frustratingly difficult to find info sometimes, despite our web-enabled world. Sigh!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112