Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

jchance

One of the Regulars
John Lobb’s Jaipur boots (not mine)

Attachments

• IMG_6024.jpeg
    IMG_6024.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 21

Edward

Bartender
Time to chill out with boots.

20240405-192023.jpg

20240405-192048.jpg

20240405-192101.jpg

That time of year, innit? I've switched over from boots to loafers kicking around this last week. Last couple of Summers I've had to give in around May / June and wear plimsols much of the time owing to the heat. Picked up a few pairs of the old school Vans (forget the model name, but the ones they debuted with in 1966, a generic design that had been around since the early 50s) in anticipation over the Winter, all in sales. As a rule not a fan of sneakers (I hate how they're basically disposable), but once London hit HellHeat setting (basically for me that's everything over 21 Celsius), they have their place, and these at least aren't too aesthetically limiting.

Beyond heat, you can't go wrong with a good pair of leather derbies.

Been wearing these motor leather boots almost every day since I got them 2 weeks ago.
View attachment 606287

I really like the profile of these. Some day I'm going to pick up a pair in this style, maybe from those guys in Copenhagen.

That time of year, innit? I've switched over from boots to loafers kicking around this last week. Last couple of Summers I've had to give in around May / June and wear plimsols much of the time owing to the heat. Picked up a few pairs of the old school Vans (forget the model name, but the ones they debuted with in 1966, a generic design that had been around since the early 50s) in anticipation over the Winter, all in sales. As a rule not a fan of sneakers (I hate how they're basically disposable), but once London hit HellHeat setting (basically for me that's everything over 21 Celsius), they have their place, and these at least aren't too aesthetically limiting.

Beyond heat, you can't go wrong with a good pair of leather derbies.

This is the first time I've switched from boots to anything though only partially. I still need to wear boot after a couple of days spent in derbies. It's like an itch. But I'm enjoying these very much.

I never could've worn sneakers, even Chuck's that I personally like a lot but I always find them too warm to wear during summer, even more-so than boots. It's all that plastic, I guess....

Edward

Bartender
I have no idea, these are vintage from the 50’s I believe.

According to the googles, they off-shored production from the US sometime after the 90s; best as I can make out they disappeared some time between 2012 and 2024.

This is the first time I've switched from boots to anything though only partially. I still need to wear boot after a couple of days spent in derbies. It's like an itch. But I'm enjoying these very much.

I never could've worn sneakers, even Chuck's that I personally like a lot but I always find them too warm to wear during summer, even more-so than boots. It's all that plastic, I guess....

I find the lack of the rubber toecap on this sort of design does help breathability -

1713179794128.png

Most days from June to mid September, though, I usually just want to stay inside and whimper a lot.

Edward

Bartender
I like those a lot - just simple black sneakers for the hot days in summer. Is this the same model @Edward posted before?
Could you give me a model/type number?

Yes, these are the Vans Authentic - https://www.vans.co.uk/shop/en-gb/vans-gb/authentic-shoes-vn000ee3bka This is the model they debuted with in 1966, though other brands were making shoes of this exact style in the 1950s (which is why I like them, 60s aren't my thing). The Era is a similar shoe, except with more padding, particularly a padded collar, introduced in the 70s - https://www.vans.co.uk/shop/en-gb/vans-gb/era-shoes-vn000ewzblk The Era is actually very similar, barring the closure, to the standard Vans slip-on. (I have a pair of those that are great for travelling in hot weather. Read: easily kicked on and off at airport security, and on long-haul flights...).

Worth having a hunt round if you're looking at these. GBP50-60 is a standard RRP, but if you hunt for sales you can find them at half that fairly often. I've just recently picked up a pair of Authentics on eBay for £15 that were sold as "worn once" and don't have a mark on them - must have been worn once round the house...

The only thing I wish I could change with the Authentics would be to eliminate the little branded tag on the vamp, but in truth it's barely noticeable when you're out and about and not looking for it. Because I don't wear sneakers often (only in the hottest of weather) I'm not keen on putting big money into them, but I've found that buying Vans on sale is worth the little extra over the cost of the cheapest knock-offs in supermarket brands. I think it comes down to the quality of the sole, they don't have that tendency to split across where the foot bends the way the knock-off Chucks I wore for years in my teens did. The pair of slip-ons I have were worn heavily the last two Summers. Recently put through the washing machine and they'll definitely take at least another Summer of hard wear, if not two.

andyone

A-List Customer
Yes, these are the Vans Authentic - https://www.vans.co.uk/shop/en-gb/vans-gb/authentic-shoes-vn000ee3bka This is the model they debuted with in 1966, though other brands were making shoes of this exact style in the 1950s (which is why I like them, 60s aren't my thing). The Era is a similar shoe, except with more padding, particularly a padded collar, introduced in the 70s - https://www.vans.co.uk/shop/en-gb/vans-gb/era-shoes-vn000ewzblk The Era is actually very similar, barring the closure, to the standard Vans slip-on. (I have a pair of those that are great for travelling in hot weather. Read: easily kicked on and off at airport security, and on long-haul flights...).

Worth having a hunt round if you're looking at these. GBP50-60 is a standard RRP, but if you hunt for sales you can find them at half that fairly often. I've just recently picked up a pair of Authentics on eBay for £15 that were sold as "worn once" and don't have a mark on them - must have been worn once round the house...

The only thing I wish I could change with the Authentics would be to eliminate the little branded tag on the vamp, but in truth it's barely noticeable when you're out and about and not looking for it. Because I don't wear sneakers often (only in the hottest of weather) I'm not keen on putting big money into them, but I've found that buying Vans on sale is worth the little extra over the cost of the cheapest knock-offs in supermarket brands. I think it comes down to the quality of the sole, they don't have that tendency to split across where the foot bends the way the knock-off Chucks I wore for years in my teens did. The pair of slip-ons I have were worn heavily the last two Summers. Recently put through the washing machine and they'll definitely take at least another Summer of hard wear, if not two.
Thank you very much for the time to write up this information!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk