Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For geeks only

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
I just scored something I've been trying to get for years. It's a late '30s-early 40s RCA 76-C broadcast console. This was the gold standard for mixers in the golden age. It's in great condition too other than a minor paint issue on one end that should be correctable with a little rubbing compound. These things are scarcer than hens' teeth!

Here's the console:
e948638c.jpg

And here's what it looks like in its native habitat:
e9486bdc.jpg

KSCO San Jose

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oh gee. I used that *exact* model of console in the first radio station I worked in, a little thousand-watt AM station. It was in the production studio, where we recorded commercials, and had a lovely warm sound -- and despite all the switches and keys and buttons, it was very easy to operate.

It uses a lot of metal 1620 tubes, if I remember correctly -- it's been almost 25 years since I last used it -- but these are electrically interchangeable with 6F6's, I think.

Did you get the power supply unit with it? It's a wall-mounted box about twenty inches square containing the power transformers and rectifier tubes. It also throws off enough heat to serve as an efficient space heater for the studio, and if you leave a record on top of it for more than a few seconds, you'll have a nice Dali-esque work of art to display...

Very nice find!

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
Oh gee. I used that *exact* model of console in the first radio station I worked in, a little thousand-watt AM station. It was in the production studio, where we recorded commercials, and had a lovely warm sound -- and despite all the switches and keys and buttons, it was very easy to operate.

It uses a lot of metal 1620 tubes, if I remember correctly -- it's been almost 25 years since I last used it -- but these are electrically interchangeable with 6F6's, I think.

Did you get the power supply unit with it? It's a wall-mounted box about twenty inches square containing the power transformers and rectifier tubes. It also throws off enough heat to serve as an efficient space heater for the studio, and if you leave a record on top of it for more than a few seconds, you'll have a nice Dali-esque work of art to display...

Very nice find!

Yes, I did get the power supply too. The whole console is absolutely complete and original. The guy that brought it to my attention has actually worked on this specific unit and he said the electronics are all in beautiful shape. I'm setting up a vintage studio for KWD 1630 AM (my micropower OTR station). I've been trying to get my hands on an RCA 76 console for years. The rest of the period stuff (microphones, modulation monitors, transcription turntables, amplifiers, etc.) is pretty easy to get, though some of it is a bit pricey. These old tube-driven consoles are hard to find because many of them were gutted for their pre-amps that give that rich, warm sound you referred to. I am really excited to have found this one.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I meant to type 21st. :p

The Reno Kid said:
It's basically a state-of-the-art broadcast/recording studio mixer, circa 1940.:)

Ah. I know those. I have used one circa 1990. That counts for the 20th Century.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Nice console!:eusa_clap
That makes you king of the geeks and we all bow down to you.
I think it is great that you are putting to use.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Flivver

Practically Family
WOW that's a nice piece of equipment! I've lusted after a 76-C owned by a friend of mine for years. And it's great you'll be putting it to good use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112