Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FOR SALE: ELC Type A-1 .50 cal size 44

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
4E3619CB-3376-4239-A10A-1F5906998CDD.jpeg
54695161-F53D-407F-8D68-2B12CC8A620A.jpeg
B484092F-B962-4772-8C25-1D5C6007E90F.jpeg
09F3B712-6D52-45CE-9A7D-7DD42079CE46.jpeg
3CDBF040-07DC-4B35-8B35-D6ED5F43C5A1.jpeg
7A0E28DD-12FC-4BD6-9C12-9FBD09BA014D.jpeg
Probably against my better judgement (and certainly against John Lever’s advice!), I have decided to offer my .50 cal A-1 for sale. I've worn it a number of times recently and, whilst being the most comfortable jacket that I own, it's time to let somebody else enjoy it. I find that I'm wearing mil spec jackets less and less now and the '20s/'30s workwear is more suitable for my lifestyle these days.

This is certainly the best example of a repro A-1 that I have owned (and my obsession with the A-1 has meant that I have bought and sold on and very large number of ELC and GW Type A-1 jackets, as well as a Bill Kelso before I settled on this one, bought directly from Eastman after long discussions with Rob Brace). The effect of the .50 cal treatment is to make this one actually look like vintage, without any of the unsubtle distressing that you see in other offerings.

The capeskin used in this jacket is significantly more tough and elastic than that used for the stock (non .50 cal/timeworn) ELC A-1, the GW A-1, or the BK A-1, all of which were more soft and prone to puncture or tearing. I imagine that this is the effect of the ELC 'timeworn' treatment, but it means that it can be worn really easily without the usual fear of damage (it's not been mollycoddled at all, it's been worn out in all weathers: sun, the odd heavy rain shower, and in snow; I've even worked in the garden in it on cooler evenings).

Tagged a 44, the dimensions are (measured fastened, laid flat, using a soft tape):

Pit to pit 24" (61 cm)
Shoulders 19.25" (49 cm)
Front length (chest panel to bottom edge of leather snap stand) 24" (61 cm)
Back length (back panel to bottom edge of knit) 25" (63.5 cm)
Sleeves (outer edge, shoulder to bottom of knit) 24" (61 cm)

There are no issues with knits, which are all elastic and taut, no stains or smells to the lining. All buttons are secure (I resewed all with longer shanks using sturdier thread) with the snaps working well.

The jacket is stock with an important exception, which was well documented on this forum and VLJF. I replaced the collar knit soon after acquiring the jacket. As I've said often (and experienced recently with the Bronson 37J1) pretty much all manufacturers don't get the collar knit profile to sit/lie correctly on their A-1 patterns (John C nailed this pretty much right from the start, and the Bill Kelso A-1 pattern that I worked up with them benefitted from this) and this A-1 was originally no exception.

I obtained a length of matching collar knit from Rob Brace at Eastman, along with the loops and thread, and had a local tailor run up a deeper collar with a more accurate profile (deeper at the back to allow the collar to stand up properly, and dipping slightly at the front to sit under the chin when fastened).

I am asking £650 plus shipping (PayPal, friends and family, bank transfer, used fivers...) or local pickup if you live around the Bristol area.

Please PM me with any questions. John Lever has seen the jacket and tried it on in the past when I lived in his neck of the woods, so I'm sure that he'll give you a frank assessment.

More images to follow...

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
Coolest looking A-1 I've ever seen. Far too short for me sadly.

I don't usually like A-1's, but this just looks right after having the 50 cal treatement...it looks rugged, beaten up. Super cool!

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Couldn't get my head around it when I first saw an A-1 but have grown to love them (and purchased the ELC version as a summer go to).
Great tough looking jacket this one from Dr H :)

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Bump. A great looking jacket and if I hadn't already committed to get a new Aero, I'd be interested in this baby.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana