Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FOR SALE - Zeiss 8x30 B/GA IF Olive binocular

Naphtali

Practically Family
I have three Zeiss 8x30 B/GA IF Olive binoculars with mil scale range finders. I want to dispose of one in excellent-to-perfect condition. In my opinion, this is the finest, most durable binocular for hunting ever created. The binocular was developed for the Bundeswehr in 1964. It entered commercial production a few years later and remained in production until 2005.
Here are some specifications.
-- Full rubber armor over duralumin barrels and frame.

-- [Schmidt] roof prisms; Schott optical glass.

-- Individually focusing eye pieces ± 6 diopters.

-- Ocular and objective lens covers, so binocular does not need - has never been offered with - hard case.

-- Twilight # 15.5.

-- Field of view 120 meters at 1000 meters.

-- Weight 600 grams.

-- Full height with folding eye cups unfolded 141 mm. And I wear spectacles all the time.

-- Width at 65 mm interpupillary distance 114 mm.

-- Waterproof to NATO standard.
This binocular is neither the smallest, lightest, nor quickest to [change] focus among the universe of binoculars.

Individually focusing eye pieces may be too slow for birding. But hunters usually focus and forget. The method of focus provides the most durable method of maintaining binocular waterproof at point of focus on binoculars. Notice ALL militaries uses individually focusing eye pieces for that reason.

None of the binocular's weight is waste weight. Duralumin has a reputation for being more rigid, more resistant to battering than magnesium alloys and polycarbonate. This requires a little explanation. Acquaintances in US Army report that Steiner polycarbonate-bodied binoculars are excellent - until they get banged enough to injure relationship among prisms. They become incredibly difficult to repair.
What factors contribute to this Zeiss' quality and cost?
1. Nearly all of the hunting hours are invested looking, looking via a binocular, unless shooting area is egregiously dense foliage.

2. A binocular viewing device is really two telescopes joined to provide one stable stereoscopic view. Were telescopes improperly aligned, person viewing will get an eye strain headache in a remarkably short time.

3. Among the factors that cause best-quality binoculars to be as expensive initially as they are include the following: Schott optical glass; rigid, durable alignment of telescopes; manufacturing precision to assure both barrels provide identical viewing platforms; rigid, durable mounting of each telescope's lens system within its barrel.

4. BaK 4 prisms if binocular ("E" body) uses porro prisms rather than baK 7 prisms. This differentiation makes zero difference when referring to roof prism "H" body binoculars.

5. A first-class warranty is nice - Zeiss' is among the best - but it's essentially useless if the hunter's binocular becomes non- or poorly-functional when the hunter is miles into the mountains or savannah. Best-quality binoculars have sufficient durability designed and manufactured into them to withstand substantial use and some abuse for decades.
In my opinion, one buys the finest binocular available; scrimp on the firearms if you must. When the cost of the best binocular is amortized over a lifetime, cost per day is chump change. With a modicum of care, the binocular will serve your children as well.
The best endorsement I can furnish is that I have three of these, having previously invested thousands of dollars on Leitz Trinovids, Zeiss-Jena EDFs, and B&L Elites. While these are excellent machines, I have retained only my three Zeiss 8x30 B/GA IF Olive binoculars. I acquired so many from fear I could no longer get them. I never took into account they ain't gonna break or wear out.

The price is USD 1000.00 plus actual shipping and insurance costs. I will ship worldwide.

Here are thumbnails of the binocular and its mil scale range finder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt