Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the rider here

mygar

A-List Customer
So I have a padded thedi for my riding jacket... one of the heavy duty old ones... love it :)

Anyway I have been using a moist microfiber cloth to take bugs off. Wondering if I should periodically use a leather moistener? It does not seem dry from all the cleanings.. but thinking preventative. It's waxed cow... thoughts?

Psant25

One Too Many
From aero’s Page
Treating The Leather
”This is even easier. Do nothing, absolutely nothing. Do not oil it, don't treat it with hide food - even ours, this is for old steerhide jackets and dried up old vintage horsehide jackets from the 1930s and 1940s, not for your Aero, well not until maybe 2035.”

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So - since we don't know anymore about this jacket other than "waxed cowhide" and one of the old heavy ones, it won't hurt anything at all to use somethign such as Bick #1 for Cleaning, and Bick #4 for conditioning. The Bick #1 would work very well for the bug and road grime cleaning. I use these products on boots, and many of my more "standard" jackets. On the Aero CXL Steer & Horse-hides, I do exactly as Psant posted - nothing at all. For at least the first 20 years.

Find out more here (I am not related to them or any kind of dealer) https://bickmore.com/

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Riding jackets exposed to the elements might be a bit different. If the jacket is has had a lot of trips in the rain and feels as if it is drying out, I would put conditioner on it. But only if it feels dry.

Excessive exposure to the sun can have a similar effect. I have an old Schott that has sun and rain damage, but I haven't treated it and probably won't. It is the second most salty jacket in my riding club, and if I treated it, the patina would be lost. I figure it has another 7 or 8 years before it starts to crack.

Schott Front.jpg

mygar

A-List Customer
Thanks for the input. I think I will just do a light conditioning treatment once/yr. Cleaning with moist microfiber seems to work well. Honestly don't want to have to use a leather cleaner... as I clean the bugs off 3 times week... too much trouble getting cleaner out etc I think

JacketAddict

One of the Regulars
Believe it or not Pledge works great for those quick cleanings - I've used it on many of my Langlitz jackets and pants, as well as other riding jackets with no adverse effects. Every so often wipe it down gently with a dish detergent in water (or use a leather cleaner) and then apply some conditioner - check out the Langlitz conditioner - I've found it to be a good one as well as Lexol (recommended by the local Leather Lady guru.)

mygar

A-List Customer
So - since we don't know anymore about this jacket other than "waxed cowhide" and one of the old heavy ones, it won't hurt anything at all to use somethign such as Bick #1 for Cleaning, and Bick #4 for conditioning. The Bick #1 would work very well for the bug and road grime cleaning. I use these products on boots, and many of my more "standard" jackets. On the Aero CXL Steer & Horse-hides, I do exactly as Psant posted - nothing at all. For at least the first 20 years.

Find out more here (I am not related to them or any kind of dealer) https://bickmore.com/
I'll check out bicks thx!

mygar

A-List Customer
Believe it or not Pledge works great for those quick cleanings - I've used it on many of my Langlitz jackets and pants, as well as other riding jackets with no adverse effects. Every so often wipe it down gently with a dish detergent in water (or use a leather cleaner) and then apply some conditioner - check out the Langlitz conditioner - I've found it to be a good one as well as Lexol (recommended by the local Leather Lady guru.)
Lol pledge? I don't know man. Not sure about lemon smell either :)

JacketAddict

One of the Regulars
I was skeptical also until I tried it - Orange - adds a very nice scent. The good thing is you spray a little on those bug spots wait a minute or so and wipe them off - works like a charm for a quick wipe down. Many "experts" will scoff but it works and I've yet to see any adverse effects from it.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
The only time I put Pledge on leather, was in military school. Don't do it. Looks good at first but ultimately ends up with a cracked mirror appearance.

I just started using Chemical Guys Leather dressing and find it pretty versatile for a quick/easy to use /absorb treatment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB