Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foreheads & Hair

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
I have done my hair in styles where I comb up my bangs
and tuck them nicely in for a pretty decent vintage hair style.
I have been trying some styles out I have seen in my new Dita Von Teese book.

Anyhow, after I have completed my new creation.
I feel very accomplished until I look into the mirror
at my awful forehead! I have one of those foreheads that reflects my
emotion in a heartbeat. SO, with that...I most always have to comb
out my bangs and work around them.

I am not much into the "poofy" bangs because they remind me
of bad 80s hair that came with it (poodle hair)...but I see some
great thick & puffed bangs in films with Ginger Rogers, Rita Hayworth,
etc.

Anyone have any advice about how to create these bangs? I would imagine
a large curler & some great hair product might help. I really want them
to look soft.

Does anyone have the forehead issue as well? I have not been a fan of my
forehead since I was a kid. I always would attempt to go along with styles that didn't have
bangs and pretend nothing was wrong with my forehead, but when I had enough styling around
my forehead and went for bangs...I immediately felt better about how I looked.

Perhaps, I am a 'bang' kind of girl. I have had my poor bangs chopped off way too short,
and urgh! I had that darn forehead problem again. I almost always do my own bangs because
I know how I want them. Most stylist don't do them my way and lots of times they tell me
they don't need to do anything with them.

Ah, my forhead...It's a darn funny thing! :p

Brooksie

One Too Many
Hi Jazzzbaby,

I too have forehead issues...my forehead has horrible acne on it (my face does not have any) I also hide it with bangs-I have Louise Brooks bangs with a longer a line bob that is halfway between jaw and shoulder.

As far as getting that look you are going for I would suggest expiramenting. I used to be a hairstylist (licensed since 1988) and I have done many a shampoo set durring my time as a stylist. Get a good setting lotion... there was acually a thread about this today. Get some rollers, I have a picture of Rita Hayworth so I kinda know what you are going for. Set your whole head in large rollers and since your bangs are on the shorter side you will have to go down to the next size. The picture of Rita Hayworth that I have her bangs look like they are set on an angle away from her face bacause her whole forehead is exposed, but she does have a bit of a bang roll coming forward. (if that makes sense?!)

What ever you do I would not do any back combing at all because then you are going to get into that 80's look (not a good era for hair:eek:) so when your set is dry just take your rollers out and brush them out really well for a very nice and soft look.

I used to use a steam setter on my hair when it used to be long... and I loved it, you wash your hair then towell dry it and apply your styling product then you can blow dry it or sit under a dryer. You then set your hair while it is dry with the steam setter and the curls are sooo incredibly soft (no crispyness that you sometimes get with a roller set) plus the steam is really super good for the hair.

I hope this helps you out some.

Brooksie

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
You are a God Send! Thank you Brooksie!!
I will try these out, and shall let you know how it goes.
I will need to search for the thread on hair setting lotion.
I have gone into hair product stores and they look at me dazed....it's such a 'vintage' term I suppose. They have steered me to a product or two that
I will or won't try. I was happy with one product, but it was not
a setting lotion by any means.

Again Thank You My Dear!

Brooksie

One Too Many
Hello again Jazzzbaby,

I hope you do find the setting lotion thread but if you are unable to I know that Peter Hantz Hair Products makes a nice product - I think they call it a styling lotion (I think Peter Hantz has been around since the 80's) I remember using these products when I was a stylist, the lotion (if I can remember was nice and light and smelled good-kind of peachy) but you never know they might have reformulated. I also forgot to mention hair spray... use a light aerosol spray - nothing stiff or heavy(no aqua net:eek: no icky 80's hair allowed!). And just use a light mist of hairspray because you want your hair to be very soft and touchable looking.

Ed Wyse Beauty supply carries Peter Hantz products - they are a distributorship that supply's to the proffesional beauty industry... I used to do sales for them. I know they are only located in Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana. But you can call them at 1-800-322-9973 and they might be able to direct you to someplace that sells the products in your area. They also have a website you might be able to order off of also: www.edwyse.com

Brooksie

Elle

New in Town
I have a similar problem. I have the worst hairline ever, it isn't straight at all. Baby hairs going every which way. I am also a bit afraid of getting bangs, but I'm extremely self-concious when my hair's rolled or tied away from my face. I give myself faux bangs most days, but they can be very harsh looking. All this keeps me with "myspace hair" half in front of half my face.
Any suggestions?
Should just get over my fear and get some bangs?

Brooksie

One Too Many
Hi Elle,

If you do decide to go with bangs I would suggest possibly going with maybe a side part and keep your bangs on the longer side with some soft layers, keep all of your layers long so this way it will blend nicely with the rest of your hair. You mentioned baby hairs around your face that are not straight so the idea is to hopefully encourgage some nice soft wave or curls with the layers. Then I would suggest some good quality hair produst to keep frizz to a minimum. There are some really nice anti frizz shine serums for hair out on the market nowadays. Just some thoughts and ideas for you to think about... maybe if you could post a picture of yourself I will be able to see the texture and your style you have going on curently and I could even come up with some more/better suggestions.

Brooksie

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
I have what I coined as a kid, "more face, less hair." In other words, I could land a 747 on my forehead (anyone with the opposite problem would be called "more hair, less face" - yes I was a strange kid). I have always despised the shape of my long, thin face, so I've been through every hairstyle in the book.

1940s and 50s bangs make my face look really long, but pulling it all back makes me look harsh. So I finally discovered that I look best when my hair is almost all one length and waved down one side and pulled behind my ear on the other. Or if I secure a couple pin curls on the side of my forehead and loosely pin the rest back, my face doesn't look so long. I also do well in a 30s wave set.

I just can't pull off the more popular recreated styles of the 40s and 50s, which is, after all these years of dressing in vintage clothing, something I’ve finally come to terms with.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
jazzzbaby said:
I will need to search for the thread on hair setting lotion.
I have gone into hair product stores and they look at me dazed....it's such a 'vintage' term I suppose. They have steered me to a product or two that
I will or won't try. I was happy with one product, but it was not
a setting lotion by any means.

Jazzbaby - you should try Lottabody, you will see it mentioned alot in the various hair threads here at the FL. It is readily available at beauty supply stores, or online (plus it is very inexpensive:) )

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Rebecca D said:
I have what I coined as a kid, "more face, less hair." In other words, I could land a 747 on my forehead (anyone with the opposite problem would be called "more hair, less face" - yes I was a strange kid).

I love that, Rebecca.

Yes, I have a tragic case of "more hair, less face" and I'm in this thread only because I love bangs, especially bangs with a pageboy haircut or a bob like Catherine Zeta-Jones had in Chicago. But it just doesn't work and I just look like a fat chipmunk. :(

Viola

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Rebecca D said:
I have what I coined as a kid, "more face, less hair." In other words, I could land a 747 on my forehead (anyone with the opposite problem would be called "more hair, less face" - yes I was a strange kid). I have always despised the shape of my long, thin face, so I've been through every hairstyle in the book.

1940s and 50s bangs make my face look really long, but pulling it all back makes me look harsh. So I finally discovered that I look best when my hair is almost all one length and waved down one side and pulled behind my ear on the other. Or if I secure a couple pin curls on the side of my forehead and loosely pin the rest back, my face doesn't look so long. I also do well in a 30s wave set.

I just can't pull off the more popular recreated styles of the 40s and 50s, which is, after all these years of dressing in vintage clothing, something I’ve finally come to terms with.

Hi Rebecca my 9 year old (also named Rebecca) has the opposite problem - more hair less face. She says that she has a twohead instead of a forehead.:)

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
I would love to have more hair, less face! My sis and I recently dug through her photo albums and found about a 10 year chronicle of my retro hairdos, some of which looked good on me, and others not so much. There were a few photos that made us both yell: EWW, WAY MORE FACE, LESS HAIR!

Why no one told me I shouldn't wear front and side rolls is beyond me.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
any change in hairstyle can be a bit scary for a lady! There are a lot of great styles that are in right now that include bangs. I don't have a forehead problem but have been considering the side bangs, mostly just to add some style to my hair.
Jazz: You're hair is so cute how it is in your avatar!

CourtneyJordan

New in Town
I myself have a very large forehead. I find that bangs work quite well for large forheads, as they elongate the shape and conceal part of the forehead with the bangs hair. In order for perfect bangs, curlers (either cold or hot), a hair dryer, and a medium hold hair spray is what I use. These items usually work whether I want straight bangs, curled under bangs, a curly bundle of bangs hair on my head, or wavy bangs.
-Courtney

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I love the look of bangs (despite being forced to wear them until age 13), but I have a widow's peak, which means that the last time I had bangs (in high school) the middle section stuck out in an awkward-looking bump. Sadly, I had bangs for my senior picture and looked pretty darn silly!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Well, I got the haircut, along with going back to brunette. I got bangs, but their not the traditional type of bangs (straight across the forehead) They're more of a side swept look...which I'm really glad I went with it since it really adds a lot...a picture will be on it's way shortly :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy