Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal jacket or casual?

Dreamofgilgamesh

A-List Customer
Dear group, last weekend I had the great pleasure of attending a warehouse clearance sale of Jaeger clothes. One of the jackets which i managed to acquire is this one, but I'm not sure what you'd call it. Is it a formal jacket or a casual? The fact that it only has one button has thrown me. A great many of the items for sale were samples, so this may be a one off. It's a bit rumpled at the moment, but it's a delightfully soft wool flannel I believe.

What do you chaps think?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, now this question is tricky because people on the FL will tell you it is not formal at all but for some guy on the street is might be. It all depends on the standards of the social cirlcles you belong to.

Even by todays standard just the jacket is less formal than a dark business suit since you don't have matching trousers and the color is rather light. Business people often wear black, dark grey or dark blue.
This doesn't mean the jacket is "wrong" or sloppy...just less formal. I personally like the fabric but would find it rather hard to combine. Maybe dark grey trousers would do the trick or even white?

Edward

Bartender
I think I'd go with navy for fear grey would be too close and look odd... better a clear contrast. It would look superb with a good pair of white trews. In these parts it is certainly casual... out among the normals it is positively "wedding wear"....

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The jacket was most likely orphaned (formerly part of a suit) and therefore can be tricky to match with odd trousers.

Here's a dark chalk stripe flannel jacket with light grey flannel trousers which I think looks pretty good. I suppose you could reverse the look and try your light grey stripe flannel jacket with trousers in dark solid flannel; grey, blue or even black.

IMG_3037_edited-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider