"Formal" Straw Hats

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Some Random Bloke, Aug 8, 2016.

1. hatsRme

hatsRme

"FORMAL" Straw hats? Easy!! Here is one of the best Ready-to-Wear suppliers I know of.

These are some of their offerings...
    2112_1_.jpg 006214_01.jpg

I especially like the Black one for your events. Best of luck.

I once told a guidance counselor in school I wanted to work with people in my career. He recommended I become a mortician. Hmmm....

Dm101, BobHufford, FedOregon and 2 others like this.
  2. RJR

RJR

o_O

hatsRme likes this.
  3. RJR,
    I checked out the Historical Emporium hats. Interesting. Most give the impression they were built for theatrical purposes; kind of a stage prop vibe. Have you owned any of these hats?

While they didn't have what I was looking for, I did see a Panama Boater that intrigued me.

4. RJR

RJR

No experience with them myself.

5. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Having a preference, like the leather sweatband, is going to limit you in what is already a very limited choice. You explain that you are a funeral celebrant, great description, by the way, you need the gravitas that goes with your work. A dark coloured straw sounds perfect to me, a dark coloured straw fedora sounds just the job, if you will excuse the pun. If such a hat isn't available in Oz, try putting The Village Hat Shop into Google. Make sure though that the price you see includes shipping,

Redfokker likes this.
  6. carldelo

carldelo One Too Many

I'll second this advice - I have a gray Capricorn (the first one to be custom made in size 62!), and it is indeed a formal-looking straw. The color is dark graphite, a little darker than it looks on most websites. I use it almost exclusively during summer evenings, sometimes during the day if it's cloudy/rainy. If I was going to a funeral in the summer (knock wood), I would wear it without hesitation. I would not wear a boater to a funeral (seems too playful), nor a homburg or topper (seems 'costume-y'). In the end, your local customs are going to dictate what looks respectful without being attention-grabbing, which is important in your position.

M Hatman and Redfokker like this.
  7. BillC

BillC New in Town

Hi all. Summer is coming and I am looking for a high quality black or gray straw hat to wear with a suit. Milan would be ok also. I've seen a nice borsalino and a churchill. Do you have any other recommendations? Thanks.

Just Daniel likes this.
  8. Just Daniel

Just Daniel One Too Many

Hi Bill, welcome to the Lounge.

I don’t have direct experience with your question on straw hats with colors, but I do have a few classic Panama hats. That might interest you now or in the future. There are some seriously nice hats.

For what it’s worth, some of the guys here have reported good experiences with Panama Hats Direct. If you are going all out $$ you can look at Brent Black hats. I think both sites have information on Panama Hats that can be both interesting and informative.

It’s not exactly what you are looking for, but maybe you’ll find it an interesting option?

Here is a link to google search results on the Fedora Lounge for Panama Hats

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:thefedoralounge.com+panama+hats

Here is Panama Hats Direct and Brent Black.

https://www.panamahatsdirect.com/
    https://www.brentblack.com/

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  9. Scooterz

Scooterz Practically Family

Check One Two Mini Ranch, https://www.one2miniranch.com/ He is an FL member and may give you a discount on shipping, not sure if he is still doing that. He also sells on ebay as monaville-cowboy. He sells Stetsons and Biltmores and maybe a few other straw hats and some come in black or gray. I lean towards the hemp hats as they are natural fiber and can take a little moisture. Stetson has a line of hats that are called Stetson Stratoliner Milan Straw hats but they are not real milan instead they are a synthetic straw. Some people like them and they come in black and gray but I have never had one so I cannot say what they are like.

deadlyhandsome and Just Daniel like this.
  10. Tukwila

Tukwila My Mail is Forwarded Here

A high quality natural or white Panama hat with a black crown ribbon is often worn with a dress suit. Unless you are going to a funeral I don't get the need for a dark straw hat in the heat of summer.

11. I’m not sure what your budget is, but Optimo of Chicago makes some great Panama hats and arguably the nicest Milan weave hats available today. My pockets aren’t so deep so I’ve only owned them secondhand. I don’t even dream of owning a Brent Black Panama hat.

You could look at Peters Brothers too. They make a Milan wave using hemp that several members here speak highly of.

I think that a summer hat, even with darker tropical weight wool suits, should be a lighter color. I have some navy blue and dark brown straw hats and they don’t get much wear. Personally, I think a traditional natural or even bleached, Panama hat would be a great choice. I like Milan weave hats better than Panama hats and the natural wheat straw colors are a favorite.

https://optimo.com/collection

https://www.pbhats.com/

Just Daniel, Tukwila and Rmccamey like this.
  12. Edward

Edward Bartender

Milano weave? Does this one have the stiffness associated with a traditional boater, or is it more like an Amish hat? (I've considered looking out for a few more Amish pieces since I recently bought a couple of very nice leather belts that are Amish made - obviously from a reseller, as I got them on Etsy. Outstanding quality for a very reasonable price.)

13. fabiovenhorst

fabiovenhorst One Too Many

This is a traditional boater, so it's stiff. Boaters used to come in plenty of different weaves back in the day

Edward likes this.
  14. Edward

Edward Bartender

Interesting - that's the first one I've seen in this weave. They're a rare beast over here as vintage, though (I supposed the fragility, and that at one time they were seen as quasi disposable), so mostly you only see the modern ones. Not many of them about here these days, sadly.

15. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

boaters.jpg

That is so true, but back in the day when men played tennis in long trousers...................

deadlyhandsome and Edward like this.
  16. fabiovenhorst

fabiovenhorst One Too Many

Actually my post was in answer to a previous one from Alan who posted a very similar one...

Edward likes this.
  17. Edward

Edward Bartender

Ah, dear Fred Perry and those of his ilk proving short trousers an unnecessary affectation...

Yip, sorry, I meant 'here' geographically, as in the UK (I'm one of about six people I'm aware of who wear a boater on occasion in a non-fancy dress context), rather than 'here' as in TFL. :)

18. FedoraRedHat

FedoraRedHat Familiar Face

I also wear a boater in formal/semi-formal occasions. Most modern boaters out there are "skimmers," with a brim of 2" or less, with a braided weave and a club-striped band. I managed to find one more suited to its vintage counterparts, with a pilated straw weave and a 2 1/2" brim. This is the Lock & Co. Classic Boater:

[​IMG]

Hey, if the Marx Brothers wore boaters while trying to pass themselves off as "Maurice Chevalier," you can't get any less formal than that.

[​IMG]