Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Four month review - Aero Board Racer black FQHH or leather jacket romance

AlexB

One of the Regulars
Hi everybody,

I used the days off, between Christmas and New Years to jot down some impressions and experiences with my Aero Board Racer that I ordered beginning of August via Gasoline Alley in Munich. I know that there are many threads addressing the J100 styled jackets around here, but anyways maybe there are some insights/ experiences that could be helpful for somebody in a similar situation than I was.

How I came to Aero

Basically, it started all way earlier. I am very much into leather jackets since my early 20s. I owned several jackets from brands like Diesel, AllSaints and Belstaff. However, due to my body measurements (6.6 feet, 200cm, relatively long arms and normal body) it was always difficult to find something that does not look off (I am always a little restricted when it comes to regular sizes).
My first experience with custom made leather was my one-piece Dainese Racing suit that I got for motorbiking. The leather felt great, fit was perfect, and I wished for something similar for civilian use.
For some reason the fashion jackets could never really satisfy my needs for “that” leatherjacket. The leather felt quite weak here and there, details were sometimes a little over the top for my taste and I also felt bad for paying hundreds of Euros for a jacket that is made in India or Bangladesh under harsh working conditions and “only” paying for a brand name.
Then I read an article in the motorbike magazine “Fuel” talking about “THAT black leather jacket” while waiting for a plane. The first time I read about names like Lewis Leathers, Aero Highwayman, Rokker, Horsehide etc. From that moment on I couldn’t stop thinking about leather jackets. Of course, it didn’t take long until I found the Fedora Lounge and that did not help to cure my leather disease.
I put my hands the first time on horsehide at Burg & Schild in Berlin, who partner with Simmons Bilt. Again, reading in the Lounge it became clear to me that I have difficulties identifying with the brand and its history.

How I got my Aero

Then one day in August I had some time before a meeting in Munich and thus decided to visit Gasoline Alley in Munich. It was a real pleasure. Burkhard more or less closed his store and we started to configure my jacket. For me it was clear that I want a classic Cafe Racer jacket for my first real leather jacket as it suits a broad range of occasions. I was inspired by very clean jackets such as the “Rokker Street jacket” without the typical chest pockets. Burkhard recommended to go for two inside pockets instead.
He showed me all kinds of leather: FQHH, Vincenza, Steer, all of them new and broken in. I immediately fell in love with the broken-in FQHH. After completing the order with going for olive cotton drill lining, we philosophized some more minutes about true craftsmanship and then I left with a firm handshake.
Now the waiting period started. Luckily, it was way shorter than anticipated – end of August I got an Email that my jacket has arrived including two pictures (see below). Unfortunately, I was not able to fly to Munich again to pick up the jacket in person. Thus, I asked Burkhard to send the jacket via parcel service. Three days later I had it in my hands.

143309-b08a2e12ede3fe1ed5fb21dc5a3812d2.jpg

143310-bdbf755ae262872285512d8ebdaa2544.jpg

The first days with the jacket

Wow! What a jacket! Heavy, stiff, unbelievable smell. My worries that the jacket won’t fit were gone after putting it on the first time. For me a perfect fit. Not to snug, so that I can layer when it becomes colder and the perfect length for some riding so that not too much leather would be crunched in the front area when sitting in my bike (see fit pictures).
The first comment of my girlfriend was “That’s and armor!”. Yes, she was right. The first hours I was afraid that I should have chosen the Vincenza leather. However, I said to myself “Stop questioning your choice and start to break in this thing!” I wore the jacket in the house, I slept in it a couple of times and also sit on it while watching a movie.
Within hours the leather started to become softer. Lucky me, FQHH was the right choice. The stiffness from the beginning soon disappeared. The first days, the jacket could stand on its own but after one week of wear it would start to crumble.

143329-9c800189ea14c40ece154f07a6827c21.jpg

143312-1549606031db65c845929fd98f6e43ce.jpg

143313-88e7c62325563d076adf486740784da9.jpg

After four months

In short: I love the jacket! It becomes more pliable every day. The glossy surface from the beginning slowly became more like a matt finish and here and there some brown came through (e.g. at the cuffs or where the zipper touches the leather). The arms started to develop great looking creases and the grain started to pop. Unfortunately I did not have the chance to wear the jacket in the rain, but I hope this will lead to even more spectacular results.
Now I understand why each Aero jacket is unique. Every day I wear the jacket I discover new details (see pictures below). Sometimes I just look at it or touch the leather. It is just not comparable with everything I owned before. A second quote from my girlfriend: “Since you have this leather jacket, most jackets I see in the streets look so cheap and fragile”.
If there is one thing I would have probably done different: The inside pockets show through quite significant since I have no chest pockets. For me its parts of the patina and the value add is probably worth more than the outer marks.
Another downside, the leather jacket virus is not cured when owning one jacket as I thought – it is ignited. I just placed my second order through Thurston, most likely not my last one.

143316-ea2be0ee74a2e3d749f4d2fe03d59e42.jpg

143314-cc937106c271e0694276adfc3b6177f6.jpg

143315-f4315c8486f3b38820c6fbff5218af28.jpg

I hope I did not bore you with these words, I am always happy to answer questions. Great community here in the Forum!

Cheers, Alex

Attachments

• Gasoline Alley 1.jpg
    Gasoline Alley 1.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 2,734
  • Gasoline Alley 2.jpg
    Gasoline Alley 2.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 2,739
  • Closed.jpg
    Closed.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 2,663
  • Open.jpg
    Open.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 2,718
  • Arm creases.jpg
    Arm creases.jpg
    964.8 KB · Views: 2,662
  • Grain.jpg
    Grain.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,648
  • Matt.jpg
    Matt.jpg
    906.8 KB · Views: 2,918
  • standing.JPG
    standing.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 2,651
Last edited:

VestCoast

A-List Customer
Fantastic jacket and review. Fits you great. I love seeing photos of people breaking in their jackets! As someone who obsessively browsed threads like this while putting together my first Aero jacket I can say firsthand how valuable and helpful (and enabling) content like this is. Bravo all around.

Dphillip

Familiar Face
Outstanding!
I love the fit and the extra long sleeve zippers in front!
Well done sir!

3kids1dog2

New in Town
Nice, Corodvan is awesome! I have an Aero Seven being built in Cordovan Steer in January as well. I also went through Thurston Bros. Carrie's patience is amazing!

JacketFit08

New in Town
Hi everybody,

I used the days off, between Christmas and New Years to jot down some impressions and experiences with my Aero Board Racer that I ordered beginning of August via Gasoline Alley in Munich. I know that there are many threads addressing the J100 styled jackets around here, but anyways maybe there are some insights/ experiences that could be helpful for somebody in a similar situation than I was.

How I came to Aero

Basically, it started all way earlier. I am very much into leather jackets since my early 20s. I owned several jackets from brands like Diesel, AllSaints and Belstaff. However, due to my body measurements (6.6 feet, 200cm, relatively long arms and normal body) it was always difficult to find something that does not look off (I am always a little restricted when it comes to regular sizes).
My first experience with custom made leather was my one-piece Dainese Racing suit that I got for motorbiking. The leather felt great, fit was perfect, and I wished for something similar for civilian use.
For some reason the fashion jackets could never really satisfy my needs for “that” leatherjacket. The leather felt quite weak here and there, details were sometimes a little over the top for my taste and I also felt bad for paying hundreds of Euros for a jacket that is made in India or Bangladesh under harsh working conditions and “only” paying for a brand name.
Then I read an article in the motorbike magazine “Fuel” talking about “THAT black leather jacket” while waiting for a plane. The first time I read about names like Lewis Leathers, Aero Highwayman, Rokker, Horsehide etc. From that moment on I couldn’t stop thinking about leather jackets. Of course, it didn’t take long until I found the Fedora Lounge and that did not help to cure my leather disease.
I put my hands the first time on horsehide at Burg & Schild in Berlin, who partner with Simmons Bilt. Again, reading in the Lounge it became clear to me that I have difficulties identifying with the brand and its history.

How I got my Aero

Then one day in August I had some time before a meeting in Munich and thus decided to visit Gasoline Alley in Munich. It was a real pleasure. Burkhard more or less closed his store and we started to configure my jacket. For me it was clear that I want a classic Cafe Racer jacket for my first real leather jacket as it suits a broad range of occasions. I was inspired by very clean jackets such as the “Rokker Street jacket” without the typical chest pockets. Burkhard recommended to go for two inside pockets instead.
He showed me all kinds of leather: FQHH, Vincenza, Steer, all of them new and broken in. I immediately fell in love with the broken-in FQHH. After completing the order with going for olive cotton drill lining, we philosophized some more minutes about true craftsmanship and then I left with a firm handshake.
Now the waiting period started. Luckily, it was way shorter than anticipated – end of August I got an Email that my jacket has arrived including two pictures (see below). Unfortunately, I was not able to fly to Munich again to pick up the jacket in person. Thus, I asked Burkhard to send the jacket via parcel service. Three days later I had it in my hands.

143309-b08a2e12ede3fe1ed5fb21dc5a3812d2.jpg

143310-bdbf755ae262872285512d8ebdaa2544.jpg

The first days with the jacket

Wow! What a jacket! Heavy, stiff, unbelievable smell. My worries that the jacket won’t fit were gone after putting it on the first time. For me a perfect fit. Not to snug, so that I can layer when it becomes colder and the perfect length for some riding so that not too much leather would be crunched in the front area when sitting in my bike (see fit pictures).
The first comment of my girlfriend was “That’s and armor!”. Yes, she was right. The first hours I was afraid that I should have chosen the Vincenza leather. However, I said to myself “Stop questioning your choice and start to break in this thing!” I wore the jacket in the house, I slept in it a couple of times and also sit on it while watching a movie.
Within hours the leather started to become softer. Lucky me, FQHH was the right choice. The stiffness from the beginning soon disappeared. The first days, the jacket could stand on its own but after one week of wear it would start to crumble.

143329-9c800189ea14c40ece154f07a6827c21.jpg

143312-1549606031db65c845929fd98f6e43ce.jpg

143313-88e7c62325563d076adf486740784da9.jpg

After four months

In short: I love the jacket! It becomes more pliable every day. The glossy surface from the beginning slowly became more like a matt finish and here and there some brown came through (e.g. at the cuffs or where the zipper touches the leather). The arms started to develop great looking creases and the grain started to pop. Unfortunately I did not have the chance to wear the jacket in the rain, but I hope this will lead to even more spectacular results.
Now I understand why each Aero jacket is unique. Every day I wear the jacket I discover new details (see pictures below). Sometimes I just look at it or touch the leather. It is just not comparable with everything I owned before. A second quote from my girlfriend: “Since you have this leather jacket, most jackets I see in the streets look so cheap and fragile”.
If there is one thing I would have probably done different: The inside pockets show through quite significant since I have no chest pockets. For me its parts of the patina and the value add is probably worth more than the outer marks.
Another downside, the leather jacket virus is not cured when owning one jacket as I thought – it is ignited. I just placed my second order through Thurston, most likely not my last one.

143316-ea2be0ee74a2e3d749f4d2fe03d59e42.jpg

143314-cc937106c271e0694276adfc3b6177f6.jpg

143315-f4315c8486f3b38820c6fbff5218af28.jpg

I hope I did not bore you with these words, I am always happy to answer questions. Great community here in the Forum!

Cheers, Alex

Great review of the break in process. These are the types of reviews I like to read. Happy customers who enjoy the process of buying their most loved leather jackets!

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Awesome review and great details! I think you are @MrProper size, he would be a great reference for getting the right fit. And also never say this will be your last one lol you're jinxing yourself!

*Just to verify you ordered from Thurston Bros in Seattle? Will Aero send you the jacket directly or will it get delivered to the US and then to Germany?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Awesome review and great details! I think you are @MrProper size, he would be a great reference for getting the right fit. And also never say this will be your last one lol you're jinxing yourself!

*Just to verify you ordered from Thurston Bros in Seattle? Will Aero send you the jacket directly or will it get delivered to the US and then to Germany?

Interesting. I ordered my first Aero CR through Gasoline Alley in 2009, although I actually went there for a Vanson ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points