Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foyle's War UK WW II period police drama

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I've been watching this recently on Netflix (I just got to "All Clear") and I really like the show. However, I have to disagree with VintageMerchantMariner about the hats. Both Foyle and Milner's hats are MESSED UP. The brims are frequently bent in awkward ways, as if the actors have been handling them poorly. This is especially true in series 3. The costumer should have been reprimanded for not shaping the brims between takes.

This is the best example I found with the GIS (image hotlinked), but there are many scenes where the hats brims are mashed much worse. Doesn't it look like Milner has been handling his hat from the front of the brim only, bending it out of shape?

Foyle-and-Co.-520x473.jpg

Barmey

One of the Regulars
My home town of Hastings is the setting for the series. Grown up watching it. Would love to see more of Sam ;)

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I'd like to see more of Honeysuckle Weeks. There was talk of a follow on show centering on her. Did anything become of it I wonder...

I agree. I've never seen the show, but the driver in the photo caught my attention. Honeysuckle Weeks....sounds like a Bond girl! I love it.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The brims are frequently bent in awkward ways, as if the actors have been handling them poorly. This is especially true in series 3. The costumer should have been reprimanded for not shaping the brims between takes.
Ah yes, like back in the days when hats were mashed by the pinch and brim- when they were a day-to-day item of clothing,not an obsession. Look at old photos and movies- you'll see a lot more hats like those.

carldelo

One Too Many
Ah yes, like back in the days when hats were mashed by the pinch and brim- when they were a day-to-day item of clothing,not an obsession. Look at old photos and movies- you'll see a lot more hats like those.

Agreed, and kudos to the on-set costumer for not obsessively making the clothing look perfect from one take to the next. I always liked the fact that the junior detective creases his hat so he will look like the boss.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
It's not bad, costume-wise in general, although I do remember seeing a few things that I went 'Hmmmmmmm' about at the time. One was an obviously utility design dress (1942 onwards) on a woman when it was supposed to be 1940. (Yeah, massive geek out on my part). I suppose there will always be a few things like that here and there with any costume drama when you are that obsessive about an era!

Actually, it always annoyed me that Milner wears a navy suit, brown hat and black shoes. Please, if you only have one suit, get a hat to match.

I am always hearing 'Honeysuckle Weeks!' or 'Sam' when I'm in 1940s gear. She's quite a fun character, so I don't really mind, although I don't think I look that much like her in reality. A show about her might be quite fun, but I think they are going to make some more set Post War. It was a shame they rushed through to the end, then realised that it was massively popular and they could have had more Wartime episodes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points