Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FQHH - loosening/stretching?

rockandrollrabbit

One of the Regulars
if the panel is minimal like one piece back and jacket has no horizontal seam across the torso like yoke or chest pocket, then across the body it probably can stretch a little if the leather is soft from water or oil, you see a 4mm thick veg tanned belt stretched and end up curved following your pants higher back and lower front rise. but if the jacket has multi paneled torso with more stitching all these would give more structure and your jacket wont stretch much. also jacket with button feels like they stretch more maybe because the button is moving more to the edge after you button them and the button neck is stretching gave in over time
Good point. Thanks.

rockandrollrabbit

One of the Regulars
It's occurred to me, the pictures of my Bronco, that just might be bigger than 24 P2P. The truth is, I gave that jacket some hot water treatment, because the back was so billowing. That's a whole 'nother thread.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Rock and roll, you asked me a bit about this, as I happen to presently own a size 40 Steerhide standard HWM and a Premier fit Size 44 HWM. There is quite a bit of difference between these, and the Bootlegger, being built of a '50's Half Belt is even just a bit more interesting to work with.

Since all 3 were handy, I took some measurements, and found them surprisingly similar overall. Do note that the 50-HB-based Bootlegger has the side adjusting straps much higher up, even with the Half belt, which will make a difference in the way the jacket will fit. You have one already so hope that was not too obvious to point out.

Standard Fit "Size 40" Bootlegger (Pit to Pit & Waist area):
BL_01.JPG
BL_02.JPG BL_03.JPG BL_04.JPG BL_05.JPG

Next post I will show the Premier Fit HWM and the Standard HWM in the same locations...

Mich486

One Too Many
In my experience boots do stretch in width with constant wear. Definitely not in length.

Jackets not really much apart from the elbow area as others have noted. However, my latest Aero is quite tight in the waist and wetting the area and wearing until dry seems to have helped a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Leather does stretch. Another thing is that leather turned into a jacket wich a bunch of seams and stitching everywhere won’t stretch as easily or any at all because the seams prevent it and I’m sure the type of leather matters a lot.

Sleeves of my Himel goatskin jacket have stretched at the elbows for example. Shoes and boots do stretch too but it obviously needs time and lots of walking.

I couldn’t fit any finger let alone both hands in this jacket and now I can because I did it very very carefully and didn’t zip the Jacket but used the snaps instead. It stretched all around because what I did was soak the whole area including the liner, put a towel around me and close the jacket while I was sleeping. I left it be and wore it normal through the day, then at night did the same but with the towel turned up which meant 2 layers. I don’t think i need to do it again and don’t want to push my luck.

Really I can’t remember the user name but it was a vintage Cafe Racer that was way too tight in the waist/hips and it stretched to the point of fitting very well.

Bear in mind I’m not wearing the appropriate trousers(wide with pleats).
View attachment 203398 View attachment 203399

It is barely noticeable in a front shot but believe me, I couldn’t even sit without the bottom pressing my hips hard and now I can sit comfortably and can fit my fingers in it. Excuse the crappy pics.

View attachment 203400

@Carlos840 can confirm how tapered this jacket is!

Having said all that I do not recommend this to anyone. I just couldn’t accept that the jacket fit me so well(on the slim side, I am able to move my arms freely and hug myself) in the upper body but didn’t at the bottom. Would be a long time until I could order a custom Lewis Leathers or find one that fit me better.

That looks great!

rockandrollrabbit

One of the Regulars
Leather does stretch. Another thing is that leather turned into a jacket wich a bunch of seams and stitching everywhere won’t stretch as easily or any at all because the seams prevent it and I’m sure the type of leather matters a lot.

Sleeves of my Himel goatskin jacket have stretched at the elbows for example. Shoes and boots do stretch too but it obviously needs time and lots of walking.

I couldn’t fit any finger let alone both hands in this jacket and now I can because I did it very very carefully and didn’t zip the Jacket but used the snaps instead. It stretched all around because what I did was soak the whole area including the liner, put a towel around me and close the jacket while I was sleeping. I left it be and wore it normal through the day, then at night did the same but with the towel turned up which meant 2 layers. I don’t think i need to do it again and don’t want to push my luck.

Really I can’t remember the user name but it was a vintage Cafe Racer that was way too tight in the waist/hips and it stretched to the point of fitting very well.

Bear in mind I’m not wearing the appropriate trousers(wide with pleats).
View attachment 203398 View attachment 203399

It is barely noticeable in a front shot but believe me, I couldn’t even sit without the bottom pressing my hips hard and now I can sit comfortably and can fit my fingers in it. Excuse the crappy pics.

View attachment 203400

@Carlos840 can confirm how tapered this jacket is!

Having said all that I do not recommend this to anyone. I just couldn’t accept that the jacket fit me so well(on the slim side, I am able to move my arms freely and hug myself) in the upper body but didn’t at the bottom. Would be a long time until I could order a custom Lewis Leathers or find one that fit me better.
Thanks for the info. And your pictures look A-ok!

rockandrollrabbit

One of the Regulars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner