Frackin' Weather!!!!

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Worf, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Worf

Worf I'll Lock Up

Less than a week ago I was wearing my Aero Pre-War Irvin and anything else I could find to keep from winding up a large frozen fudgicle on the sidewalk! Today I wore a T-shirt and my A1 to the gym in sneakers and a baseball cap and was plenty warm.... My head's spinning! Dagnabit!!!! Is it winter or not!!!! They say a high of 59 degrees tomorrow... Sigh... I'm not complaining (yes ah ram) I'm just confused!!!

Worf

2. Heiko

Heiko Familiar Face

Fluctuating weather is annoying but not as annoying as a consistent freeze. You got some sweet problems

3. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

Same for us in Dallas, Texas. However, a major frontal system just blew through here late this afternoon, with torrential rainfall, wind, and lower temperatures, and likely headed your way in the next day or two.

4. DJH

DJH I'll Lock Up

That's good news, Worf. If you have decent weather one day, chances are it will be here the next!

5. JollyGreenSlugg

JollyGreenSlugg New in Town

109 degrees here a week and a half ago. We had a few days of it. Gotta love Australia!

6. Foster

Foster One of the Regulars

Weather is allowing you the luxury of varying your jackets within the same week!

7. bobjones

bobjones A-List Customer

I am fearful that as the years progress, warm weather clothing - like our prized leather jackets - will be needed for fewer and fewer months per year.

40 years ago as a kid I remember October through April being rather cold months, now you are lucky to need a jacket from December to February. It is happening rapidly in our lifetimes, and I wonder if Soylent green scenarios of an overheated planet (not the people eating each other, but who knows) is inevitable. I wonder if the only people who will be able to enjoy cold weather 50 - 100 years from now will be in the arctic circle.

8. It seems to me that the the jet stream has more to do with the warm weather in North America than anything else. Canada is still plenty cold but the jet stream is too far north to keep the colder air from coming south. As the jet stream comes further south, so will the arctic air. We saw that happening a little this winter and coming winters may be downright frigid. The earth isn't heating up that fast, if at all. Man is very ego-centric and thinks everything happens to him, in his lifetime, and as a result of his behavior. Not likely.

9. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

Australia has insane weather. It changes its mind every three hours. The next seven days are all 20'c, or thereabouts.

Then next Wednesday is 35.

See, i told you it changes all the time. It can be great for a week and then out of nowhere, we get one boiling hot day for no apparent reason.

10. majormajor

majormajor One Too Many

I lived for 3 years on an island off the coast of Africa. Constant 25 every day, with only the occasional sandstorm to break the pattern.

Boring:D;)

11. Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch Call Me a Cab

Yep. Friday night we had an ice storm. Trees were down and there were eight zillion auto accidents around the area. Saturday, the temps hardly got above freezing. Today's (Wednesday) high is predicted to be 80. Then we're back in the deep freeze. Friday night's low is predicted to be 23.

AF

12. Worf

Worf I'll Lock Up

Thanks AF... THIS is what ah'm a talkin' about. I didn't want to get into a "Global Warming" debate... while I've an environmental (forestry) background I don't pontificate on trends or subjects beyond my level of expertise. All I can say is this is some crazy, flip floppy weather.

Worf

13. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

New York has been in the 50s and almost 60s, after a couple weeks of BITTER cold. And now this evening we'll get a rain storm that may dump 1 to 2, or even 3 inches of rain, with 30 mile per hour winds, possibly gusting to 60!

14. Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch Call Me a Cab

Yeah...this winter's weather has wrought heck on my sinuses and my guitars. I've been sneezing and snorting for two months and I’ve about worn out the tuners on my two most played acoustics.

AF

15. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

But what if we are causing changes to our planet's climate? I'm not a scientist, so I will leave analysis of the jet stream and planetary climate mechanics to you, but I've lived for 40 years in the same neighbourhood and our weather has unquestionably warmed up. We still get cold snaps and snow and overcoat weather each winter, but we get a lot more days when I need rubber boots more than a wool overcoat.

16. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

I doubt I'm going to ever purchase another overcoat or warm weather clothing. I think I can get away with a pair of heavy wool pants, tweed jacket, and a raincoat from now on. I would hate to be in the outerwear business!

17. pauleway

pauleway Practically Family

I don't beleive in the "Global Warming" hoax that they try to claim, but I live in the Buffalo NY area and I'm all for Global Warming! I'm sure "Big Al" will take any contributions you want to send to him!!!

18. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

Living in the Buffalo area and the Erie Snow Dump from the "lake effect" would make anyone want Global Warming.:D I thought that only in Texas does one experience wild fluctuations in temperatures this time of year.:) On a serious note, there appears no question that CO2 levels are rising, although there is no evidence that actual "Global Warming" is occurring as the result of that. Hence, the hoax. As Mark Twain once said "It ain't what we don't know that gets us into trouble but what we do know that jist ain't so!" :D

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  19. pauleway

pauleway Practically Family

Fanch - I'm glad to see that you have not dipped into the Kool-Aid!!!

20. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

Well, I think that there is no question that scientific evidence supports rising CO2 levels but does not support rising global temperatures. In other words cause ( rising Co2 levels) and effect (global warming) is not proven and is a political rather than a scientific agenda.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013