Frankie Manning has passed away

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by dhermann1, Apr 27, 2009.

1. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

Frankie has been in the hospital for several days now. He's gravely ill. He's fighting and we have hope. Please send out your prayers. He's just a month short of his 95th birthday.

2. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

Frankie passed away this morning.

3. Woland

Woland One of the Regulars

That is very sad.
    One of the greatest.

4. The swing world mourns. Someone should make a movie about this man: his story is every bit as compelling as that of the Buena Vista Social Club musicians. A good, good person. :(

I first met Mr. Manning at the '97 Avalon Ball on Catalina Island. He liked my suit and tie. :)

5. Hammelby

Hammelby One of the Regulars

I am filled with such sorrow.. its hard to grasp that my great hero is gone.

But i pray that he had his last wish fullfilled, that heaven would be a eternal savoy ballroom. God bless you frankie! You inspired me with your enthusiasm for the lindy hop and made my dark days shine with your contagious smile. Like you did, I will keep listening to that swing music to celebrate the gladest of times and to lift the badest.

Thank you for taking time to chat with to a little cat like me, you were so gentle and funny, a true gentleman. Im sorry we never met again at Herräng as promised. Rest in peace my man, and now dance your behind of on that last stairway to heaven!

Thank you for everything Frankie!

Much Love and tears,
    Hammelby

6. Mr. 'H'

Mr. 'H' Call Me a Cab

He was so highly thought of. It's great that his art came back into vogue during his lifetime.

He seemed such an amiable character.

7. resortes805

resortes805 Call Me a Cab

Truly a sad occurrence. The Frankie 95 event will still go on, and will be a great memorial to the ambassador of Lindy Hop.

8. Trickeration

Trickeration Practically Family

My husband and I met Frankie at the Century masters show in 2007. We got to hang out with him all day during rehearsals. He was such a wonderful man, and an inspiration to countless dancers. I'll miss him. He's dancing with angels now.

9. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Here is just one of many articles about Frankie's passing.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/28/arts/dance/28manning.html?_r=3&hpw

[​IMG]

10. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

This was taken the last time I saw him, last fall. He was a dear wonderful man. I'm proud to say that I was on his Chrismas card list for many years. I guess I'll hold on to the last one as a keep sake.
    [​IMG]

11. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

Frankie Manning's Funeral

I spent most of today at Frankie Manning's funeral. I don't have pictures, but I have impressions which I won't soon forget.
    The emotional impact of the great man's passing has affected all sorts of people form all around the world. There were people from as far away as Sweden and Tokyo who flew here just for the event and of course from all over the country.
    It was held at the magnificent Mount Morris Ascension Presbyterian Church, in the heart of Harlem, presided over by the Rev Calvin Butts. A steady stream of people, family and friends got up and made moving tributes to him, interspersed with music from the Harlem Renaissance Orchestra, and a LOT of dancing.
    The interment was up at beautiful Woodlawn Cemetery, in the Bronx. Frankie is near Illinois Jacquet, Miles Davis, and many other jazz great of the Golden Era.
    Later there was a repast at a wonderful building, The Gatehouse, which is an old pumping station for the New York City reservoir system. It is now a wonderful theater called Harlem Stage. The George Gee Jump Jivin' Wailers band played, and everybody danced.
    A beautiful send off to a beautiful soul.

12. Chas

Chas One Too Many

Well, he lived long, well and was loved by many. Not a bad run!

I found this quote about dancing.

"I would only believe in a God that knows how to dance." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

But I think that this one from Byron sums up Frankie's life pretty well.

"On with the dance! let joy be unconfined;
    No sleep till morn, when Youth and Pleasure meet
    To chase the glowing hours with flying feet."

That man's feet certainly flew.