Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friends who "suit up"...

Jovan

Suspended
Brian recently watched The Thomas Crown Affair (the new one, but still...) and was quite inspired by it.

03-11-08_1921.jpg

03-11-08_1920.jpg

It's my black suit, my tie, my shirt, my pocket square... all of which I no longer want or fit into. Going to give him a couple of my white shirts, too.

Any successes within your friends?

Most friends and student colleagues are starting to get dressed up a bit more. It might just be a jacket or blazer with an open collar shirt and jeans, but it's a move in the right direction. (And a move away from cargo shorts, polo shirts and Rainbow flip-flops!)

What's always amazed me -- and maybe this is a Charleston thing -- is that while many of the guys generally look sloppy unless required to appear civilized, the girls here are generally always dressed; putting make-up on to run to the grocery - "you never know who you might see!" is something I've heard oft quoted.

Plus I make most of the fellas buy stuff from me anyways! lol ;)

CharlesB

Suspended
I've convinced the bulk of my friends to suit up. They have learned that service is better, women gravitate to you thus saving you of the heavy lifting and you can command far more respect.

Visconde

New in Town
Jovan said:
Visconde: Better than nothing, even though a lot of the members here would complain...

That's okay, I don't agree with the blackonblack your friend there is occupying either.

Jovan

Suspended
I thought you were saying, "Well, sort of..." about your friends in a negative light.

In any case, the black shirt is going. As I said above, giving him a couple of my white shirts. Will look a lot better.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Was able to get a few guys on my wing to suit up last year.
2ndEastSpring2007.jpg

My roomate got inspired with some help from me.
Eddy.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
I even see a waistcoat there! Not bad at all.

I think I'm going to start a day every month in this house where me and all my roommates suit up (or dress up, in Mindi's case) and go have good food or something.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
I even see a waistcoat there! Not bad at all.

I think I'm going to start a day every month in this house where me and all my roommates suit up (or dress up, in Mindi's case) and go have good food or something.

Yep! That's my roomy. He didn't have a suit so I gave him that one. It fit him better than it did me. ;)

As for the dress-up day, I started "Classy Wednesdays" at college. Got 15-20 people to dress up each Wed. for quite a while. I definitely encourage you to start a 'dress-up' day too!

Visconde

New in Town
Jovan said:
I thought you were saying, "Well, sort of..." about your friends in a negative light.

In any case, the black shirt is going. As I said above, giving him a couple of my white shirts. Will look a lot better.

I was only joking Jovan. Except for me on the left, my friends are all wearing €50 suits. This picture was taking at some kind of beer convention so we were pretty wasted at that time.
I don't really care what my friends are wearing, as long as they feel good the way they dress, just like I feel good the way I dress.
But it's certainly cool to see them suited up from time to time, if the moment is right.

with kind regards

Visconde

P.S. I really dig your style, it's not easy for younger guys like us to wear suits but you pull it off quite nicely (unlike some other things I've seen here on this forum), tchau.

Jovan

Suspended
Thanks, Visconde. Glad we cleared up any confusion there. I appreciate the compliment.

I dig the contrast collar and double breasted. Too bold for a young person? Nah.

Visconde

New in Town
I know it is a terrible picture (cell phone) but that's actually single breasted, I would NEVER wear a waistcoat under a double breasted jacket.

With kind regards,

Visconde

Jovan

Suspended
Never? I couldn't wrap my head around the idea until recently. I actually think it looks pretty good, as long as it's a single breasted one (double on double is needlessly busy IMO).

ortega76

Practically Family
Man, I have had a VERY difficult time convincing my friends to dress up for anything. First, I live in a college town in Central Illinois so untucked buttondowns and dark jeans or a polo shirt/jeans/blazer is about the limit of "dressy". I admit, I do jeans and tees most days. I tried to convince them to go out to a nice dinner to celebrate a friend's engagement. We went to a nice little Italian place. I wore a suit with no tie. They wore t-shirts. Ugh.

Bugsy

One Too Many
ortega76 said:
Man, I have had a VERY difficult time convincing my friends to dress up for anything. First, I live in a college town in Central Illinois so untucked buttondowns and dark jeans or a polo shirt/jeans/blazer is about the limit of "dressy". I admit, I do jeans and tees most days. I tried to convince them to go out to a nice dinner to celebrate a friend's engagement. We went to a nice little Italian place. I wore a suit with no tie. They wore t-shirts. Ugh.

How sad for us all, but here in very casual things do get worse at times. I went to an afternoon wedding in a church with a sit-down dinner for about 150 afterwards. The brides and bridesmaids were in long gowns; the groom and groomsmen were in tuxedos. I wore a gray pinstripe three piece. I was over dressed since many of the other men were in jeans, shorts, Hawaiian shirts, AND, UGH, flip-flops. What has happened to a sense of occasion????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko