Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

front block?

Tom

New in Town
Hello Sirs,

I have a doubt, what is front hat block?
My hat block is marked 5 3 / 4, 7 1 / 8, and 51.

Thanks,
Tom

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge, Tom.

I believe you're asking, specific to the #51 block, which is the front of the block, and which is the back? I had to figure that one out, too, since the #51 is higher on one end. I have only one #51 block, and I played with the hat that I blocked on it, and finally decided that the resulting hat looked best when the higher part of the block is at the back. This also makes the most sense, as the C-crown needs to be deeper at the back than the front.

Here is my #51 for illustrative purposes:
51.jpg

And a hat blocked with the low end to the front (Note, however, that this is not a C-Crown, but a diamond crease):
4-2.jpg

2.jpg

But, these are just my observations, and not based on what actual practice may be for the #51. Art, am I even close?

I say, low side in front, high side in back.

Conversely, using either end as the front might have advantages. For instance, if you use the high end as the front, you could get a sharper rake from front to back on the hat, with a shallower crease on top, which gives a different style than what I decided to use.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff