Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: Aero Highwayman (Steerhide) sz. 44

Good day,

For sale, one straight up Aero Highwayman in a size 44. This one actually belongs to a very good friend of mine who bought it years ago in London. He rarely ever wore the jacket because it was too heavy for him, but more about that below. I would keep it but the sleeves are too damn short for me, even though it fits me well I think, despite not really being in my size.

The jacket is made from Steerhide - not Horween but the kind that's in my very humble opinion nicest that I have ever seen. Buttery soft, shiny and silky smooth to touch. Just insanely gorgeous leather. Again, this is just IMO, but I find this type of leather really stunning. Heavy wool lining in the body, sleeves lined in cotton drill. US Talon main zip, ball-and-chain zippered chest pocket; all hardware brass. Though heavy, the lining isn't all that insanely warm as I can wear the jacket even though it's pretty hot outside... I would also like to note that the construction on this one is crazy good.

As for the condition, well, see for yourself, a picture is worth a thousand words. This jacket is essentially new! It's an older Aero that has been hanging in a wardrobe for quite some time but it really has seen extremely little use. Zero wear anywhere on it - sleeves didn't even get properly creased yet. Only issue I can see with it is that the heavy lining began sagging below the bottom hem a tiny bit but that's something that happened with time, on its own.

Measurements are...
Chest: 24" / 61.5 cm
Waist: 21.5 - 22" / 53 cm min.
Sleeve length: 25" / 63.5 cm
Back: 26 1/4" / 66.5 cm
Shoulders: 20" / 50.5 cm

Photos...

For more, please follow this link: http://s866.photobucket.com/user/DogLizard/library/Highwayman Steer?sort=3&page=1
Don't forget to hit the magnifying glass icon.

Well, that's that. Asking for what I believe is a fair price of 300 GBP / 470 USD plus shipping.

Any other questions, shoot me a PM. Paypal accepted, of course. I'm ballparking shipping at around 15 GBP for the UK and the rest of the EU, but international buyers should please note that the shipping may cost a bit more. Not substantially, the Vanson that I've just sold in the US was 'round $40, but...

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they're 24", actually, just that I can't figure out how to measure them properly. They're not bad at all on me, even though I normally don't go with less than 26" in sleeve length.

Couple of fit pics. Sorry for the quality. I am 6.1 feet tall and I wear 40-42 in jackets.

Now that it's sunny again, I've taken a few more photos in natural light.

EDIT: I can't say anything for sure of course, but to me this hide looks and feels exactly the same as the stuff Lewis Leathers uses. Again, I don't claim it's the same leather, but it's very, very similar to it.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Lovely. If I didn't already have a black steer HWM, I'd be well tempted.... (interestingly, those measurements sound more like a current size 42? I think Ken did some recalibration on the sizes when he came back.)

Edward, you're correct; it's definitely a smaller cut than a current 44 - or 42 for that matter! I was swimming in a new(er) 42, and this one's almost okay for me. Very lovely jacket. This steer isn't as heavy as Aero's current offering from Horween, it should be noted. About the same weight and thickness as any of my FQHH jackets, only considerably softer. I think this hide is dyed all the way through, no brown base showing through - at least from what I can tell.

Edward

Bartender
Sounds like the same stuff mine's made from. TBh, I prefer it for a jacket of that cut than FQHH or anything stiffer... I think the boxy shape works better with that softer drape, much more like originals I've handled. Mine's a current 42, and it's just right on me. Boxier than my halfbelts (which allows a sweater in colder weather), but not swamping me. (I also wear a 42 in a 50s-cut HB style, but a 44 in a pre-war cut). Really, it looks pretty good on you, you know. You sure you're not tempted to hang onto it? ;)

Yep, this type of leather is really giving it that classic vibe, I agree.

Thanks and yeah, I'm damn tempted to keep this one, how nice it is but I've another one in my size on the way. If it doesn't sell in some time... ;) I'm tempted to wear it while waiting, but best not to. Though, I'm really interested what this leather will look like after some time, when broken in a bit.

Nick, thanks mate, and don't worry about it, as tempted as I am, I've got one in my size on the way so eventually I would probably end up listing this one again anyway... As much as I'd like to, I cannot afford having two exactly the same jackets lying around. :D

eggcarton, thank you! :D Aye, I know - if it was 42, I'd buy it off my friend myself. Shame, as I know I won't get another one in this leather. Spectacular stuff, really fancy looking.

Last edited:
Come on, gents, I can't believe this one's still here. Deal of a century! ...well, at least of a week. :D This one would go for 500 GBP, on Aero's Sale page - at least!

Tell you what I'm gonna do - and I know you're gonna think that I've gone insane which perhaps I have BUT - I am going to give you a once in a lifetime, exclusive offer of 300 GBP / 460 USD for the jacket with SHIPPING INCLUDED! And that's worldwide shipping I'm talking about! Yes, you heard that right! £300 / $460 to have the whole thing covered! I know, I don't believe it myself.

Come on, you can't get a newer looking jacket out of a box, you can't! Pre war dead-stock Donegal tweed lining! Is this good? I don't know, but it sounds fancy enough plus you can't get any of it anymore!

Alright, still available - genuine Aero HWM in an 'as new' condition for the price of Wilsons! $460 shipped. Due to eBay doing the impossible and becoming even worse for the sellers, I'm gonna give it another round here on TFL but if there won't be any takers, eBay it is.

Again, Paypal accepted, same as any other payment method. Shipping worldwide. Check out my other Classifieds threads if you worry about my rep. I haven't sold that much, but everyone was happy! :D

This excellent Highwayman is still waiting for its new owner. Okay, final price drop: 450 USD / 290 GBP. Come on, folks, it doesn't get any better this!

BTW: I've received a new HWM just today, one in size 40 and the measurements are nearly the same as this one. lol Now I understand why Aero considered that perhaps a 38 would be good for me...

Thanks! Not much luck so far... :/ But it is a beautiful jacket.

By the way, the sleeves are exactly 24 inches long!

Let's give it one last spin. Will put it on the Bay tomorrow or so, but the offer for the TFL members still stands.

Again, interested in a trade (Mascot / LL style British bike jacket) and reasonable offers considered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ