Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS RARE original 40’s horsehide halfbelt FIELD & STREAM

stephenc2032

One of the Regulars
I’m selling a vintage ‘Field & Stream’ half-belt dating from the early 1940's.

The jacket is in wonderful condition considering it’s age, with only minor wear to the liner and all hard wear in perfect working order.

The horse hide leather in in fantastic condition, exhibiting sumptuous grain throughout whilst revealing a lightly burnished patina.

Features an original 'sun burst' Talon zipper with a beautiful pleated half belt back, side cinch adjusters and a button strap cuff combined with a wonderfully Art Deco styled talon chest zip.

Size is perfct for a 38-40 depending on desired fit

Measurements

Shoulders: 17.7
Chest: 21"
Sleeve: 26" (along the outer curve of the sleeve)
Length: 24' (back, from bottom of collar)

Price £550 + shipping + PayPal fees.

This is real opportunity to get hold of a sublime vintage piece full of character and patina!
What you’re looking at can’t really be replicated by any modern repro maker. This jacket represents the essence of what this obsession and passion is about!

A truly reluctant sale on my part as a result of gaining too much weight.

86842072-3FB2-415D-87BF-96D0607D380C.jpeg
C478F1B1-5DB5-4747-985E-CDE1C385C38F.jpeg
76D8C8F9-0B18-4983-A545-ED5DA366830C.jpeg
91FF6EE9-F053-4EE2-91B1-F0786DBD330A.jpeg
79FEC600-BE3D-48E4-B139-E94C47CA8B15.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

stephenc2032

One of the Regulars

The graining (especially in some of the pics) does indeed resemble goatskin, however I strongly believe it to be horsehide. Chrome tanned horsehide such as this was the prevalent 70+ years ago and due to the fact that modern tanning methods can’t quite replicate it, the danger is that it’s easy to make an instinctive assessment based on the more obvious visual differentials between modern hides with which we’re more familiar.

Having handling numerous vintage horsehide jackets and having this one in hand I’m virtually certain it’s horsehide.

A case in example is that if you take any of the reputable A-2 repro makers in the market now, none of them have quite nailed a facsimile of the ww2 era characteristics that the horsehide exhibits; all of them being too thick and generally uniform in texture. It’s surprising how thin, light and pliable a vintage WW2 a-2 horsehide jacket actually is.... combine that with a more pronounced grain structure and it’s not entirely dissimilar from what we expect from modern day goatskin! I think the key separating factor with regards to how they achieved this was due to the type of chrome tanning methods used back then (which I understand aren’t allowed nowadays due to environmental concerns).

Reactions: MET

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24