Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: XXXXXXX Clear Beaver Open Road, size 6 7/8

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
oh wow, that is in fact my size :D however, I already have a Stetson 7x silverbelly 1950s I got off of Alan. I should refrain. I am trying to just get 1 of each and I'm already at 5 hats -_-

It's a 1960s I think? based on the liner and tag?
Anyone know if there was a quality or color difference between 1960s and 1950s 7x? I am tempted to get it and crease it differently or even get this and sell my 1950 7x since that one is a size bigger (size 7) and I'm a 6 7/8

is silver belly = clear beaver?

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
oh wow, that is in fact my size :D however, I already have a Stetson 7x silverbelly 1950s I got off of Alan. I should refrain. I am trying to just get 1 of each and I'm already at 5 hats -_-

It's a 1960s I think? based on the liner and tag?
Anyone know if there was a quality or color difference between 1960s and 1950s 7x? I am tempted to get it and crease it differently or even get this and sell my 1950 7x since that one is a size bigger (size 7) and I'm a 6 7/8

is silver belly = clear beaver?

I’m not an expert on the specific color runs through the decades, but it is definitely dyed in a light tan “silver belly” color. Clear beaver” I think refers to the quality of the felt, in that it has a higher content of beaver belly fur, which is supposedly better or more desirable. This hat stands out among the others in my collection, and I wish it were a size or two larger. The cattleman crease has some stiffness, and I’m not sure you’d have an easy time simply decreasing it like an open crown lightweight.

Anyone— please feel free to chime in with corrections or additional info.

I hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
the seller did respond: There is some stiffness. I’m generally unafraid to recrease hats, but this one would definitely be a challenge for me to work into another shape from the current cattleman. It seems to really want to keep that crease.

Terminator

One of the Regulars
Oh man I’m seriously tempted by this. What size would this equate to in modern Akubra? 56 or smaller, 55?

Terminator

One of the Regulars
So I’m seeing a lot of online conversion charts saying that a 56 coverts to 6 7/8 UK and 7 US. I appreciate this is a US size, can anyone say that older hats were slightly more generous? I’m trying to find justification to buy!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
So I’m seeing a lot of online conversion charts saying that a 56 coverts to 6 7/8 UK and 7 US. I appreciate this is a US size, can anyone say that older hats were slightly more generous? I’m trying to find justification to buy!

Hey Terminator,
My Akubra campdraft is a 57, and fits me perfectly. In US sizes I generally wear between a 7 and 7 1/8. My Hornskov 57 was quite big and required a lot of padding for my head. Hard to say. I’m measuring 7 3/4 inches from back to front, and 6 3/8 inches across, in the head opening, if that helps at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
I measured my vintage 1950s Stetson 6 7/8 yesterday and I can't recall the exact opening dimensions anymore but I do know when I added it up and divided it by 2 it came exactly to 6 7/8 which is a 55cm and definitely not more

Last edited:

Terminator

One of the Regulars
Thanks Bowler and Jessie, very interesting. Based on the measurements of my Fed IV I think this might actually work...

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
you planning to keep it as is or reshape? I'd be curious to know if it reshapes, I heard it's a bit stiff (hats from the 60s)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk