Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Funny Face" re-discovered

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The other day I came across "Funny Face" playing on TCM. Starring the beautiful Ms Audrey Hepburn and the debonaire Fred Astaire.

I hadn't seen this movie in ages. I don't know why, I watch movies all the time, often classics are what I turn to, for some reason I never put this one in. Well from now on it will be one of the films I turn to when it's cold outside and I need some cheering up. I had forgotten how great this film is. I'm not gonna get all technical and speak of fantastic directing and out of sight cinematography. I want to talk about Audrey and Fred and the bond that these two, in my own opinion wonderful actors, create to make movie that makes me believe in love again. Even if you don't like the two, the costuming in this film is so beautiful and so is the overall scenery.

OK, I know that Audrey Hepburn isn't the greatest actress formally. However she has an air about her, along with her extreme beauty that makes her quite watchable. Her face is not only beautiful but expressive. In "Funny Face" it is hard for her to convince the audience that she of all people is actually funny looking. Fred Astaire is as always astounding. He is handsome and suave and wow what a dancer. He could float around a stage in a ballerina costume and still maintain his manliness. The scene where he is dancing in his trench coat and umbrella, entertaining Ms Hepburn while she looks down from her balcony, is just incredible. Why don't men have the ability to do this kind of acting and dancing today??

Audrey, who is a book worm turned gorgeous model, is so splendid to watch during the photo shoots. I think my favorite scene is in front of the Arch de Triumph, when she is running in the rain with an armful of balloons. But, I must say what I enjoyed the most in this film is seeing Hepburn and Astaire working together. They emulate a bond between two people. Although initially I was a little weirded out by the fact that Astaire is quite a few years Hepburn's senior. I think these two classic stars are just a blast to watch. The characters learn from each other. They dance, they sing, they walk the runway, and they fight. Then they realize that they just can't be without one another. As a couple falling in love they are incredibly convincing. The communication between the two on screen might actually lead one to believe that they might be stealing kisses off screen, it's convincing. The pair are really a joy to watch.

Well, who likes this film? Who doesn't? Does anybody feel the same way about the Hepburn/Astaire relationship? I just think that they did a great job. And who doesn't want to watch Fred Astaire serenading a woman on a balcony in the rain? Most of all, could you imagine a re-make of this movie? I just don't think it could be done. No modern day actor can dance and sing and still be handsome and manly, the way Astaire does. Modern day actresses don't have the classic elegance while still having a girlish charm the way Hepburn does. And the two together is just a lot of fun to watch.

To me "Funny Face" is a great classic movie that I just re-discovered. I should watch it more. It's shot quite well, the choreography is wonderful, the clothes are beautiful. The story line, well it's typical boy meets mousy girl, turns her into a beauty, and ends up falling in love with her. How many times has that story been done before!! But, I will be sure to watch it again, even if it is just to see Astaire dance and to watch him work with Hepburn. The stars of this film really make it shine (yup, that's corny:p)

Bring on your thoughts.

Here's a few pictures, I wish I could have found more with Hepburn and Astaire together.

moustache

Practically Family
Audrey hepburn was,to me,one of THE most beautiful women to ever grace film.I say this as a man who appreciates the beauty and handsome aspects of men and women both.Astaire was no slouch either!!!
One can add so many more to the list:Cary Grant,Gene kelley,etc.The list goes on and on.

Ahhh the Golden Age of films.A shame they really don't exist in quite the same fashion.yes there are some delightful actors and actresses today.but those graceful days are long past.

JD

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Funny Face is a fabulous movie ~&~ I must say that I think Audrey was a fantastic actress, beauty aside. She is wonderful in Funny Face & so is Fred, along with the fashion & the backdrop of Paris.

She brought such ease & warmth to her characters, and although this is something that comes from within her, it isn't always easy to do. She is in some wonderful films that were more challenging roles than that of the light hearted drama/comedies she frequented. A few of my favorites are The Nuns Story, The Children's Hour, & Two For The Road...oh yes, and Wait Until Dark.

AND Breakfast at Tiffany's....no other actress could have pulled that role off as well as she did. You can see the maturity in that role jump off the screen, compared to her role in Funny Face ~ all this within 5 years.

She also had a beautiful way of interacting with the male lead that was done in such an innocent manner, yet she holds her own throughout. Her leading men were phenom! Fred Astaire, Humphrey Bogart, ,Gary Cooper, Henry Fonda, Burt Lancaster, Peter Finch....amazing leading men!!!

Truly a great beauty and a great actress!
Can you tell that I adore her???

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
This is my favorite of the Hepburn movies. She's pretty and fashionable but she still is a thinker. And I really dig the casual clothes she wears outside of modelling. The cafe scene is probably my favorite of all of Hepburn's movies. I just bought this soundtrack on vinyl and can't wait till it gets here!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i love the fact that she's supposed to look dowdy and bookish in the beginnning.... it's Audrey Hepburn ! even doing dowdy and bookish she's going to look amazing. many women would kill to look that plain !

Fred looks old enough to be her dad.

lindylady

A-List Customer
Funny Face is an absolutely lovely film. Both Astaire and Hepburn showcase their charms, personalities, and good looks to the utmost. And the plot is almost fairy tale-like yet realistic, if you can put those two words in the same sentence. At the risk of sounding corny, the end scene with the church garden and dance is so beautiful that my eyes water a little every time I see it :eek:

Folly

One of the Regulars
I just adore Audrey Hepburn. Funny Face is one of my favourites.

(A wee bit off topic, but still Audrey related, I have a list in a book of what makes a classic Audrey wardrobe :) )

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jazzzbaby said:
Funny Face is a fabulous movie ~&~ I must say that I think Audrey was a fantastic actress, beauty aside. She is wonderful in Funny Face & so is Fred, along with the fashion & the backdrop of Paris.

She brought such ease & warmth to her characters, and although this is something that comes from within her, it isn't always easy to do. She is in some wonderful films that were more challenging roles than that of the light hearted drama/comedies she frequented. A few of my favorites are The Nuns Story, The Children's Hour, & Two For The Road...oh yes, and Wait Until Dark.

I thought "Two For The Road" was a great movie! She was fantastic in it. Even though it was a little later than some of her other roles she still maintained that girlish charm that made Hepburn films so great. She has beauty, elegance and grace. Having her in a film was always a compliment to it's co-stars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24