Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Funny, odd, or the most absurd ads you have ever seen....

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
Finding photos for the Unexplainable Photos thread has inspired me to start this one. As I was searching for odd or strange photos, I keep coming across very weird, funny, or really absurd advertising. I've been thinking about changing my profile picture to a women's suffrage poster that I saw at the Natural History Museum. Never found the poster, but I found this absurd laughable anti-women's suffrage poster instead. Ahhhh...propaganda. I was going to post it in the Unexplainable Photos thread, but it didn't really seem to fit, so I decided to start a new thread.

93340557_8367d8ed65.jpg

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Reminds me of this thread lol

A lot of the funniest ones have to do with women, I find. This is one of my favourites:

vintage_ad.jpg

Venereal disease ads are always good, because there's only one way to get them:

vintage-ads-disease.jpg

vintage_std_poster.jpg

And a dose of Cold War propaganda for good measure:

2372800454_5bb56678c5.jpg

Last edited:

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
I was trying to find a thread on advertising before I posted this thread, but I couldn't find any. I had no idea that this thread existed. Sorry. :(

Thank you for posting C Dot! I wish I could see the photos on the other thread, but alas no. That happens to me quite bit on the Lounge. Sometimes people will post a picture and I can't see it. Or if someone posts a video it's even worse. I'll see a huge white box. I'm able to hear the audio, but not able to see the movie. :(

My mom laughed really hard when I told her about the anti-women's suffrage posters that I found. She then proceeds to tell me that if men are not able to wear pants, they would be wearing skirts. lol!!!

Here are the other ones I found. I wish I could find the pro-women's suffrage poster that I liked. The pictures I have of it are either really dark, semi-blurry, or at a weird angle.

Wanti2.jpg

3-anti-suffrage-poster-19132.gif

AAanti.jpg

That pig needs help.

Funny_Vintage_Ads_6.jpg

I've always thought this ad is really amusing, but very bizarre.

vintage-ads-shaving.jpg

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I was trying to find a thread on advertising before I posted this thread, but I couldn't find any. I had no idea that this thread existed. Sorry. :(

No no, that one is different. I don't know if you could see the title, but its called "Slightly Sinister Children of the Golden Era" :) The only other one I found was this one, which is just non-specific "vintage advertisements."

I'm enjoying these anti-suffrage ads. Of course, none of these things, like husbands wearing skirts or children dying of malnutrition actually happened, but some must have believed it lol

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
Oh okay. Thank you for clarifying that C Dot. I guess I got a bit scared. I didn't want people throwing pots and pans at me for starting a duplicate thread. Whew! Don't have to worry about that anymore.

I found some more!

vintage-ads-diet.jpg

vintage-schlitz-beer-ad.jpg

380140150_03d575a77c.jpg

1681490961_08b7ed2f86.jpg

The next time I drive myself to work, I have to make sure that no one is in the backseat!

vintage020.jpg

m220684805.jpg

tumblr_ldnwd7reh51qz86lxo1_r1_500.jpg

m220684824.jpg

tumblr_lbcd9dw9s11qa49tx.jpg

tumblr_lbcdt7SsJX1qa49tx.jpg

I included that Doctors prefer Camels ad in a binder I did for Health Class in High School. My teacher found it very amusing.

Once a commonplace medication.....
cocainedrops.jpg

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
I had posted this picture in the Unexplainable Photos thread (although it doesn't really fit there now) and I said there's nothing that says Cocaine Toothache Drops than children! lol!!!

It makes me think about what was originally in Coca Cola at one time. Imagine if they stuck to the same formula today! There would be a lot of happy people! lol!!

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
It's the knife they are advertising in this ad yes? I'm assuming that they are talking about how easy it is to cut with this knife without fatigue? Am I right?

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
Wow, I was so off! I understood the words, with, without, and fatigue. Should have stayed awake in French class. lol! Double thanks VC Brunswick. Now to dream of cooking, pigs cutting themselves, and not burning beer. Ahhh...Sweet dreams!

LaMedicine

One Too Many
It's a play on the iconic WWII battle cry of Tenno heika Banzai! (Long live the Emperor). Instead I reworded it to mean "Long live the great swine"

(Thank you, Google Translate) ;)
Sorry, I find Google Translate can be off pretty often, especially when it comes to Japanese and its grammar. It's got the syntax all wrong, which can and does change the meaning all around, or even turn into gibberish. I'm sure you've all had experiences with Japanese translated into English that doesn't make sense :D

The correct phrase in this case should be, " Idai na buta, Banzai!!":eusa_doh:
Buta idaina, banzai in Japanese means, "swine, great hurrah "

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff