Fur Ban In Israel

Discussion in 'Hats' started by BryanB, Jun 10, 2021.

1. BryanB

BryanB One of the Regulars

https://www.timesofisrael.com/peta-...untry-to-ban-fur-but-major-exceptions-remain/

I think they mean actual fur still attached to skin, but I'm wondering if this could include or eventually include fur felts like my akubra. There's one I've been wanting to buy, but now I'm thinking of pulling the trigger before the ban takes full effect.

By the way, why is fur felt considered superior to wool felt? And why is beaver considered better than rabbit fur? What I can say from personal experience is my bran fur akubra isn't any hotter than my tilley's. I seem to remember wool felts being unbearable in summer.

2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

If you use the google search and include 'Fedora Lounge' and the topic of fur comparables, beaver versus rabbit a number of threads will pop up with discussions on the topic.

BryanB and deadlyhandsome like this.

3. +1
    There is no shortage of threads discussing the differences and the advantages of types of fur felt. Well-plowed ground for sure.

I was surprised with my 50/50 beaver/hare FEPSA felt. For a fedora/soft hat I like it better than my FEPSA pure beaver. Most of the great vintage fedoras were not pure beaver, and rabbit and hare blends make the best velours. It’s a lot more complicated than thinking the greater the beaver percentage the better the hat. I do think that Winchester’s pure beaver dress weight felt makes a much nicer fedora than their rabbit and hare blends (staple). However, if you are talking about westerns then I do think the higher the beaver or nurtia percentage the better the felt.

Lots of exemptions and hard to talk in absolutes.

belfastboy likes this.
  4. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Many orthodox Jewish hats are traditionally made from fur, or fur felt, so it will be most interesting to see how this plays out.

GLewis, steur and belfastboy like this.
  5. M Hatman

M Hatman My Mail is Forwarded Here

The WHOLE WORLD IS LOOSING ITS MIND!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GLewis and deadlyhandsome like this.
  6. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

So apparently, there is a "religious exemption," but considering Israel is a theocracy, and more than half of the country identifies as either orthodox, or traditionalist, that kinda makes it feel like this ban is somewhat pointless.

7. Israel is a parliamentary democracy, not a theocracy.

8. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Israel to my understanding is a modern democracy. The more orthodox sects have perhaps influence larger than their numbers would suggest but it is a pluralist democracy if you look at the makeup of their newest gov't....ethnically, politically and religiously. Israel society is also more secular than religious these days and Judaism is evolving into more of a cultural practice than religious.

deadlyhandsome likes this.

9. It is still the “Jewish State,” but it’s diverse and evolving like all democracies do. Interesting that the current coalition government includes the United Arab List which is part of political Islam.

10. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Call Me a Cab

I agree. My rabbit Hornskov is a way fine hat, even compared to their beavers...

11. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yes, it is still the Jewish state but the society is much more secular than religiously based.

deadlyhandsome likes this.

12. I agree completely. It gets confusing using the same word(s) for both a religion and a people.

belfastboy likes this.