Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fur on Men

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Ouch Plus Tax

Marc Chevalier said:
Scotrace, this raises a painful memory :cry: for me ;) ....
The price? $150.
I didn't buy it. Why not? Because I lived in sunny California, and could not justify the "decadent luxury" of owning a coat I might never wear; because eBay did not yet exist, so I had no access to buyers in colder climes; and because the women's opera coats would be easier to sell. So I bought those and left the overcoat behind. Needless to say, SOMEONE ELSE got it.

Now that's a horror story. I bet you look at potential purchases through different eyes now?
I've seen some 20's fur lined coats that are amazingly sharp. Not long ago, a really nice, big Edwardian wool coat from Maine with fur lining popped up on ebay. They're out there - SOMEone here must have one or two?

Wild Root

Gone Home
I like my vintage fur very well!

So do the ladies!;)

IMG_1280-vi.jpg

This coat I'm wearing is a 1930's thick whipcord fabric and is lined with a very nice fake fur lining. The fur collar is real I think... not sure but, I love it! It's a very 1930's look that most men would steer clear from unless it was 1935. But, for me it is 1935 every day!

=WR=

Bammerman

New in Town
two examples

Many years ago I worked at the American Consulate General in Lyon, France. One of the French employees wore what I always thought was a plain wool overcoat in the wintertime, until one day I noticed that the inside was lined with fur. Very discreet and understated, very classy, and no doubt very warm.

Two weeks ago I saw a man on the metro wearing what was obviously a man's fur coat (fur on the outside). The effect was ruined (or maybe this is what he intended) by the large polyester blue and white baseball cap he was wearing on his head!

As to which is more ecologically sound - I would offer this: I think that many leather (and fur) garments probably last a great deal longer than their fabric/plastic counterparts. Of course that will vary greatly according to initial quality of materials and construction.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Naama said:
Sorry, but I just don't think it's right to kill and to torture animals, sorry..........

Naama

That's understandable however, when I wear a fur piece, it's 60+ years old. No use in letting a good piece waste away. It would have died by old age by now any way so, it's memory lives on.;) I've heard some people that put cut marks into vintage fur (Men's and women's) coats to make a statement. I wish I could catch them in the act to report them to the store management and give them a piece of advice such as: It's 60 years old plus, it's a sin to waste and putting cut marks into 60+ year old coats isn't going to bring the animal back to life. Plus, it's just vandalism pure and simple.

I know Naama wouldn't do anything like that your self but, I just wanted to mention what happens in some vintage shops I've been too. It's really sad.

Some people take it too far.

=WR=

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Fur felt doesn't seem to bother me, but fur coats kind of gross me out... all that hair is just... hairy, like beards and armpits. Yuk... just yuk.

But if I had to wear fur, I'd go for a nice ermine wrap like this:

george-v-crop.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
jake_fink said:
Fur felt doesn't seem to bother me, but fur coats kind of gross me out... all that hair is just... hairy, like beards and armpits. Yuk... just yuk.

Hahahahahahah, that's funny! Beards and armpits... priceless!

Now, I do have an old Buffalo coat from the 30's, I'll have to snap some photos of it some time and post them. There are some fur that isn't like beard or armpit hair that are ok by me.;)

Funny!

=WR=

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
James "Jimmy" Walker, Mayor of New York in the 1920s and early '30s.

1351.jpg

Say, that looks exactly like the number I just lost on ebay!

It may end up being a moot point, because Maine hasn't been cold this winter at all. I've only donned my Ushanka once or twice. The snow melted again today. What the devil is going on with the weather?

Bammerman

New in Town
Think how many billions of them there are

So just what is the matter with beards and armpits?

If the world population is presently 6,497,981,023 then there are some 12,995,962,046 human armpits on the planet today. Don't diss all those pits! And assuming, just to make the math easy on me (I'm an English major), that half the population is male, then there are some 3,250,490,012 beards or proto-beards (the kiddies, of course) out there. Nothing to be ashamed of! Far from it! Be proud of your beard (if you have one or could have one) and your armpits!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk