Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fur Scarves and Fur Collars

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Who loves this look?! I got a faux fur scarf today and I'm looking forward to wearing it. It's a short scarf with a loop to push one end through.

Wearing it indoors: yes or no?

Wearing it with short sleeves--possibly not a good look. It reminds me of a necktie with a short-sleeved shirt.

Wearing it with a skin showing between the scarf or collar and blouse...I don't know if this would look right, but I'm sure there would be exceptions.

I'm thinking this would look best with dressy fall or winter clothes. What do you think?

crwritt

One Too Many
Who loves this look?! I got a faux fur scarf today and I'm looking forward to wearing it. It's a short scarf with a loop to push one end through.

Wearing it indoors: yes or no?

Wearing it with short sleeves--possibly not a good look. It reminds me of a necktie with a short-sleeved shirt.

Wearing it with a skin showing between the scarf or collar and blouse...I don't know if this would look right, but I'm sure there would be exceptions.

I'm thinking this would look best with dressy fall or winter clothes. What do you think?

I think this is either a with your coat cold weather thing, or alternately with your strappy evening gown, after you've taken off your coat kind of thing. Or with a nice cashmere sweater. Not a warm weather thing at all.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I have a cardigan with a fur collar, but I feel like it's a bit dressy for the office. I wear it when I go out, and always in winter.

I don't mind wearing it inside at all!

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Maybe I'm committing a faux pas, but have a drawer full of vintage fur collars that I wear almost every day in the winter. My standard uniform for my University classes lately has been a narrow mink collar over a wool cardigan. I like the way they make my borderline-dowdy winter clothes (lotsa wool pencil skirts, '50s slacks, and utilitarian oxfords) a little more glamorous!

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I've been really getting into the faux-fur thing at the moment, now that it's getting really nippy 'round here. I have one of those short scarves which you describe, Paisley, but only wear it on really really cold days as crikey, that thing warms you up right quick! I couldn't imagine wearing it indoors as it is the warmest scarf I own.

I'm trying to find a basic black natural fibre long-sleeved short cardigan at the moment (tougher than you'd think) so I can try out Casey's tutorial on fur collars to attach to a sweater, and I also would like to try to make my own fur-cuffed gloves to go with it.

I don't think it has to be a dressy dressy look; I can definitely see a fur collared sweater with a pencil or a-line skirt as a standard "sweater girl" kind of look.

I have been thinking about this stuff way too much lately!

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
I've been seeing some cardigans with fur collars hit the stores in our local mall so I'm excited to see if I can find something that has a vintage look. My mother just gave my daughter some cardigans with fur collars and needless to say I'm so jealous because I have yet to own one for me! ;) My office is usually pretty cold in the winter even though we are well heated, so I think a fur collar would add a little coziness and a touch of upscale class rather than that "another cardigan ho-hum" mentality. I know C-dot put in her thoughts that it might be too dressy but I think with a simple pair of pearl studs, it could be just low key enough without looking like your heading out for a night on the town, especially if the fur is kept a neutral color and it's pelt is realtively short, not big and fluffy like a wrap might be. I love a good sweater so it would be a great way for me to mix it up once in awhile. I've seen plenty of patterns out there on the internet to make your own...I would love to have a couple I can attach to any cardigan whenever I get the notion.

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
I recently bought a coat with a gorgeous fake fur, detachable collar (link to it in the "How does a girl keep warm?" thread).

I love it! Fur collars are so glamorous and luxurious. I feel cosier just looking at my coat!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I decided to wear the fur scarf to the office today, and I'm glad I did since it's chilly in here. And it adds a nice touch to my tweed blazer (the same one I'm wearing in my avatar, but it's buttoned up). I'm also wearing a black pencil skirt and rose patterned tights; this scarf wouldn't look good with more casual clothes.

If my coworkers can wear their outdoor vests in the office, I can wear my fur scarf.

I also have a brown zipper cardigan with a fake fur collar; it's actually a bit casual looking.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I have a selection which i wear daily in the Autumn/Winter. I have some smaller fox and mink collars, which i tend to wear with cardigans and to jazz up sweaters and suits and some show-stopping thirties silver fox and ermine collars which look great over coats, suits or evening wear. I don't think there is a general rule for how you wear them really. i wear some of mine with a cardigan and jeans for example. As Rodeo rose said, it makes one feel glamorous and warm, so i just go for it!

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
I have a little real fur collar which I was originally planning to sew onto a jacket or a cardie, but which I have since decided looks best worn as a scarf with my London Fog mac...

I looked at Caseys tutorial and it doesn't look too bad at all - really looking forward to trying it out when I'm back in the UK!

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
I have a little real fur collar which I was originally planning to sew onto a jacket or a cardie, but which I have since decided looks best worn as a scarf with my London Fog mac...

I looked at Caseys tutorial and it doesn't look too bad at all - really looking forward to trying it out when I'm back in the UK!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I took a page from your book today, Paisely, and wore my fur collar cardigan to the office. Several of my co-workers complimented it!

crazydaisy

Practically Family
I actually got this one to go with my shoes; it's not an exact match but it works I think.

DSC02879.JPG
DSC02991.JPG

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I think i posted how lovely it looks in combination with the red, but i'll say it again. It sure is a classy colour combo.:D

At the moment, my staple seems to be a huge thirties artic fox collar. It seems to work with my forties and fifties coats really well, plus it's just so pretty and warm, so i just about end up wearing it with everything.

I did have a nice mink collar, which you could wear like a collar, or loop through itself almost like a tie. But my mum snaffled it sadly, so i can't post any pictures of it.

I have also started to wear a fur evening shawl indoors, which may sound a little decadent, but i really suffer with the central heating, it dries my skin out something chronic, so i tend to wear my shawl over my dressing gown, and i'm very nice and toasty. It also means the shawl gets an airing, which is good as i don't go to many evening engagements, so it would just be languishing in the cupboard otherwise.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
$(KGrHqMOKogE4t9gnok)BOOE+gGy(Q~~0_35.JPG

Here she is, or a similar photo at least. Mine has really lovely sea spray patination, with lots of greys, browns and whites running through it, which i have been told is the mark of excellent quality fox fur, it also makes it beautiful and rather versatile in my opinion.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Thank you darling! Actually as i said, it just goes with anything really, you can chuck it on over any coat or jacket and it looks great. One of my better purchases i have to say!

I know you enjoy fur, so i can share, that for my birthday i did treat myself to a lovely Saga mink jacket, 1950's. It was such a steal, i thought the lady in the shop was having me on!!! She's having a clean at the moment but i will post a pic.

x

Louise Anne

Suspended
Thank you darling! Actually as i said, it just goes with anything really, you can chuck it on over any coat or jacket and it looks great. One of my better purchases i have to say!

I know you enjoy fur, so i can share, that for my birthday i did treat myself to a lovely Saga mink jacket, 1950's. It was such a steal, i thought the lady in the shop was having me on!!! She's having a clean at the moment but i will post a pic.

x

Good for you Miss sofia. I look foward to seeing the photos, sounds wonderful just with a few word your writen about it. I have a feeling it is just so you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ