Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1 collar fade

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
here's an example of a collar that faded over 60 years or so. you can see the darker mouton below the bend and the lighter mouton above, which was more exposed to the elements over time. bob

collar.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Best way to post pictures is to upload from your computer by clicking on "Upload a File" and follow the prompts, although you might need to downsize pictures prior to uploading. I have always hated Photobucket that infected my computer with a nasty virus a couple of years ago and deleted my Photobucket account.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Best way to post pictures is to upload from your computer by clicking on "Upload a File" and follow the prompts, although you might need to downsize pictures prior to uploading. I have always hated Photobucket that infected my computer with a nasty virus a couple of years ago and deleted my Photobucket account.
I caught that virus as well. Fortunately it didn't delete my photos. The virus came from one of the ads on the site. I solved that problem by going to a paid account; no more ads.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
ok, will do. confusing, since the pic showed in the preview.
Rather than use a web based format such as Photobucket, IMO a better way is to download the actual pictures from your desktop or iPhone, following the prompts along the way. As I said earlier though you might need to downsize your pictures in order for the download to work. Thus far I have had far more success doing this from my desktop than my iPhone as I not been able to figure out how to downsize my iPhone pictures.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I have some major hate on for Photobucket too as so many great reference threads are now bare of pictures.

My method of choice for posting since I travel so much is Tapatalk. It's not the greatest program or anything, but it will easily upload any photo you have on your iPhone or iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
this jacket was owned by a Major Edgar Pitman, a former "Flying Peon" who was later commissioned in the USMC, after earning his gold wings during WWII as an enlisted pilot. it appears most of his time was spent in transport aircraft (R-4Ds, naval service version of the C-47), later flew attack planes in Korea. Additionally, he participated in Operation DeepFreeze and supposedly wore the jacket in Antarctica in 1947. i bought the jacket on eBay, knowing that it had some lovable smell issues--namely JP-4 and hydraulic fluid, which are quite common among jackets which were really used. i recall my jungle boots in Vietnam being heavily inundated with JP and hydraulic fluid. here's another pic of me wearing the jacket at Sweihan, in the UAE desert at a petrol station;
FullSizeRender.jpg

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
which reminded me of an old story about UH-1E helos, but originally attributed to A-6A aircraft. when one aircrew approached their assigned aircraft, they noticed a small bucket on the deck under the aircraft. hydraulic fluid was intermittently dripping into the bucket. one person was heard to say, "the bad news is that it is leaking. the good news is that there is still some hydraulic fluid in it!" just saying...

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Aw man! Looks Awesome on you! Really nice Jacket!

That Jacket has seen some Action! I'll have to post the one I have, It's so worn the Liner is literally rotting and fragile as tissue paper because of the Acid in human sweat!!! It's got a nice blonde collar on it, you know someone spent time on a navy aircraft Carrier deck in the sun. I bought the Jacket like this because I've never seen one so Worn out and broken in, it must have taken 40,000 hours of wear in it's time.

where's your Aviator sunglasses!?!?

We gotta get you a tighter, shorter T-shirt in a neutral color with a tighter pair of pants for ya! and maybe a nice Brass slide belt buckle. :D I wear a white silk scarf too from time to time when it's a colder night and I'm hitting the town, I felt like it would be more of a costume at that point to dress up a few notches, self consciously speaking, but the ladies gave me compliments whenever I did that! Just sayin! haha women can't resist a man in uniform!

Last edited:

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
try this one--same jacket, same place. as i recall, style wasn't a big priority at the time, but we should always look good, right? BTW, this ADNOC petrol station was/is the jumping off point for many desert 4X4 expeditions. obviously, these pics were in the winter as jackets not needed in the Arabian desert summer.

Sweihan dec 2015.jpg

Gamma68

One Too Many
Here's an example of mouton collar fade on my 1968 Martin Lane G-1. I cleaned my collar using a water/Woolite mix.

Before cleaning:

Mouton_1.JPG

After cleaning:

Mouton_2.JPG

With some unfolding, you can see darker areas inside:

Mouton_3.jpg

Rather than use a web based format such as Photobucket, IMO a better way is to download the actual pictures from your desktop or iPhone, following the prompts along the way. As I said earlier though you might need to downsize your pictures in order for the download to work. Thus far I have had far more success doing this from my desktop than my iPhone as I not been able to figure out how to downsize my iPhone pictures.
Fanch, if you email yourself the pic from your iPhone it gives you the option to select the file size. I believe anything under 1 MB will fly here.

Deacon211

One Too Many
which reminded me of an old story about UH-1E helos, but originally attributed to A-6A aircraft. when one aircrew approached their assigned aircraft, they noticed a small bucket on the deck under the aircraft. hydraulic fluid was intermittently dripping into the bucket. one person was heard to say, "the bad news is that it is leaking. the good news is that there is still some hydraulic fluid in it!" just saying...

Hehe, that's a pretty common saying for old but much loved aircraft.

The Harrier leaked so much that the Air Force guys would bring out a truckload of drip pans whenever we parked at their base...and a trash can for the "shark fin" fuel vent that would occasionally dump on the ramp.

Loving the faded mouton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points